Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) Who manufactured the first hardtop automobile? What year?

2) Who manufactured the first sedan? What year?

3) Who manufactured the first four door hardtop? What year?

This will be graded! Have fun!

PRIZES ARE

FIRST PRIZE: One year's moderator free membership to the Forum of your choice.

SECOND PRIZE: One free seminar on how to replace a hardtop roof panel on a rollover...

THIRD PRIZE: Instructions on how to power shift your six speed on the quarter mile without blowing your drive tranny in only four runs.

BOOBY PRIZE: A handbook showing how to detect flood cars involved in the last hurricane in Florida.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMA Z06 said:
Father,

B4 i take the test that would be the z06vette forum correct ????
In answer to your question, which was very observant, is that the Corvette Forum is not the lampshade, or the white gloves of the Z06, which indeed got a flat tire on their runflats. So, if you looked at the prize and took it where no man has gone before, then Freddy got his tie at the right store. So in conclusion my answer is yes, but what do you feel?:z:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
fatherlarry said:

Corvette Forum is not the lampshade, or the white gloves of the Z06, which indeed got a flat tire on their runflats. So, if you looked at the prize and took it where no man has gone before, then Freddy got his tie at the right store. So in conclusion my answer is yes, but what do you feel?:z:
Say what :-?

I was trying to figure this out when my head exploded :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
What the heck are you talking about???

Joe

fatherlarry said:

In answer to your question, which was very observant, is that the Corvette Forum is not the lampshade, or the white gloves of the Z06, which indeed got a flat tire on their runflats. So, if you looked at the prize and took it where no man has gone before, then Freddy got his tie at the right store. So in conclusion my answer is yes, but what do you feel?:z:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
htvette said:

I got it. I've been doing some searching on the internet for some answers. I think the first four door hardtop was a 1956 Olds.
What about the 55 Chevy 2 Dr and 4 DR Convertible Hardtops?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Quiz

1fastdog said:

Mass produced would be the 1926 Pontiac "6-27"

I won't go for all the questions and steal the fun.

Hmmm...we'll see. I'm not getting any answers. Come on we're supposed to be hardtop people.:)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Quiz

1fastdog said:

Suppose we will.

::::::::::::::::::::::
The first Pontiac, the Series 6-27, debuted at the 1926 New York Auto Show. Built on a 110-inch wheelbase, it featured a Fisher-designed body and a six-cylinder L-head engine. The two closed models, a coupe and a sedan, achieved maximum speeds of 50 mph. Until the Pontiac debuted, most cars had fabric tops, leaving passengers little protection from the elements and road debris. As it turns out, Pontiac's decision to produce only closed cars was warmly welcomed by customers. Priced at $825, Pontiac sold 76,742 cars in its first year on the market. The following August, it offered a four-door landau sedan, at $895.

I'll stand by the mass produced qualifier.

The first sedans? Wow...a single seat chair carried by bearers, like hundreds of years ago... the name was carried over to the carriage, then automobile. Saloon is fairly synonymous, 2 or four door car with enclosed seating front and back...with accomodation for luggage in a rear compartment.

Coupe' is really a two seat, fixed enclosure vehicle with one additional seat outside. Coupe's have really evolved in their definition. Don't see a lot of rumble seats much less footman riding on the back of carriages...

A hardtop is a classically a car that has enclosed fixed roof seating but resembles a convertible with the top raised. Primarily a 2 doored body. Thus I stick to the 6-27 Pontiac on the mass produced qualifier.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FRC Tom said:

What about the 55 Chevy 2 Dr and 4 DR Convertible Hardtops?
The first year for Chevy to have a "convertible look" hardtop was 1962 and continued until 1964. They also had what they called the bubble hardtop, which was from 1961-1962. That's a very popular and collectible car, especially with the 409.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hardtops

I guess I'm boring everyone, but this is a section for hardtops. Thought it might be interesting to dig up some hardtops from the past. There were a lot of different models and designs. Like the '63-'67 Corvette hardtop which was a fastback hardtop, and then there was the removeable hardtop that turned into a convertible, and then there's ours which is a fixed,bubble type hardtop. The Chevy Impala had a bubble type hardtop without a post, and a convertible type hardtop. And then there's the famous retractable Ford hardtop, and the TBird with the portholes, which came back on the 2002 model. Oldsmobile's four door hardtop, without a post, and the 1955, 56, 57, Chevy hardtop without a post.

It's kind of confusing, but the post was actually a stronger construction, but they put extra reinforcements on the side rails of the roof of the hardtop to eliminate the center post connected to the lock pillar, for strength.

I guess I find it all very interesting. It only adds to the flavor of this unique style that GM designed for the first time in Corvette history. It's a fixed roof WITH a trunk. It's really unique. It adds to the streamline look of the car.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
First 2 door hardtop was the '49 Cadillac or '49 Olds

carzzy

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was close

htvette said:

I got it. I've been doing some searching on the internet for some answers. I think the first four door hardtop was a 1956 Olds.
I was only one year off Father Larry.

Never thought much about this hardtop, but you know, they are different. I've been doing some reading and found out the 1999 is the first year Corvette with a fixed roof which includes a trunk. And the roof doesn't come off. Very different.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Hardtops Rule

I have said many times if it was not for the Black 99 Hardtop I saw (and immediately bought) on the showroom floor I would still be Vetless.
I lost interest after the '67. I tried a C3, a '74 454 Blue with Silver interior and only bought it because it was the last year for the Big Block.
In 16 months I purchased 3 FRCs and 1 FRC/Z06.
I love my Z06 but if I had to make a choice and could only keep one of my cars it would have to be my Nassua Blue Hardtop, 1 of 189 built in 2000.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts