Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I am instructing a Z06 driver who happens to be a good friend of mine at an upcoming track event. It will be his first and the only thing we will be upgrading will be his pads and fluid. Someone please let me know what pads they recommend using other than stock. Thanks in advance. I race a porsche and use Pagid pads but do not know what the Z06 crew uses. thanks again

·
Registered
83 Posts
Carbotech makes a great pad that many corvette owners use for DE's and racing, especially for the money. www.PFYC.com is a supporting vendor on this site that carries them at a great price.

Kirk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Absolutely - Carbotech are just about the best you can run...especially for the price. Talk to Larry Narcus or Matt. www.Carbotecheng.com.

For schools and DE stuff, I'd recommend the XP 9 on front and 8s on rear. You can run those on the street easily. If you want more agressive stuff, try 10s up front and 9s on back. Full race is now 11s F and 10s back.

They're awesome!!!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've done several track days in my Z06 and unless you figure on doing this full time, the stock pads are adequate. Laguna Seca is hard on brakes and I didn't have any issues. If this is the drivers first time on the track in the Z06, and the brakes are good, I'd leave the pads for now.

I run Carbotech Panther Plus in my replica Cobra and really like them. Good all around pad for street and track. They do dust, but so do stock Z06 pads.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Carbotech is my choice for a couple of reasons: One is that it's cheaper than a lot of the pads out there. Secondly, since they are ceramic based and not metallic based, they don't create corrosive dust.

Just ask the guys that have run pads like Hawk Blues. That's fine for a race car, but when you're using your street car to track with, you don't want the hassles of corrosive dust rusting everything.

Sal

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Totally agree with Chris and Sal above. I have been racing on Carbotechs for two years now and am extremely happy with them from performance and cost perspectives. That they don't trash my wheels with corrosive dust is a bonus.

XP8 front, Panther Plus rear is what Carbotech normally recommends for street tires and junior driver. However, I have run XP9 front and XP8 rear on street tires and they work fine. As Chris said, XP10 front and XP9 rear is for serious driver on R compound tires. I now have a set of the new XP11s front and XP10 rear and will be racing on them for the first time on March 19-20 here at Memphis.
:cheers:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I recommend Cobalt. I have used Performance Friction a bunch and discovered Cobalt (VE24) last year. Better initial bite than PF, overall better feel. Great outright DE / race pad, can still drive on street. I'm about to buy a bunch and may have an extra set or 2 if your buddy wants, pm me.

Awesome pad, i'm telling ya... :thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a lot guys. I hope instructing this Z06 doesnt make me think of getting one again. I have been considering it hard in the back of my head but money has been tight as I have been investing it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Subdriver said:
... I now have a set of the new XP11s front and XP10 rear and will be racing on them for the first time on March 19-20 here at Memphis.
:cheers:
Strap your belts on tight bud and get ready to pick your teeth out of the windshield. They are just slightly better than the 10s initially, but you'll notice they do not fade at all over the entire race distance. That's the biggest difference. You'll love 'em!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Carbotech 9/8 combination should be great and if it rains you don't have to worry about the wheels being a mess for the rest of there lives.
Tony #54

·
Registered
350 Posts
I actually just raced at CMP in the rain with the new 11s on F and 10s on rear. The wheels are just fine - no hardened residue. Awesome stuff!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts