Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I have any money, but there is a possibility that I might have a co-driver next year that actually does....

Need as much information on shocks as possible. Dyno curves for Koni SA / DA / Penske SA / DA, Stock 03, Stock 04, etc. Basically anything commercially available. Also, would be very useful to know which settings make the shocks equivalent to stock 04's.Valving information, etc.

Car usage is almost all AutoX - Solo2 & Pro Solos

Can't afford to buy the wrong shocks.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Depends on what class you are running. Lowered beyond factory recommendations or not.

Dyno curves on adjustables will vary with valving. No body really is forthcoming with those as they are a trade/racers secret and may be the only advantage for instance, in a stock class.

The double adjustables become a real advantage on a dual purpose car that sees low speed AutoX, some highspeed track work and also is a daily driver.

I recommend Penske DA's set up by Guy Ankeney for Pro Solo and National Tour.

Mallet also has a nice Penske DA set up for the track. His mounting of the reservoirs is superior to any other.

The Penske's already have a threaded outer body so they can be easily converted to coil over and triple adjustable if you move up to SM2

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ankeny/Penske for the following reasons:
1) Correct valving for specific application
2) Correct (body up) mounting for minimum unsprung weight
3) Correct body length for lowered cars
4) Aluminum body threaded for coil overs (if desired)
5) Adjustable damping for rain or dry dates
6) Completely rebuildable
7) Made in USA (not EU) , all CNC billet construction

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, wrong answer.

Ankeny Penske's do not have the correct valving. This is why Salerno isn't using them anymore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
SCCA_Z06 said:
Sorry, wrong answer.

Ankeny Penske's do not have the correct valving. This is why Salerno isn't using them anymore.
Yup, went to Koni's on the new car, ran the Penske's last year, I guess second in nationals wasn't good enough, lol. No matter what you have, the grass is always greener...it's only money and the Koni's are a lot less expensive. Good luck, looking forward to you getting the new shocks...are you getting the "special" ones or are you going to try the Koni's?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I believe the Konis that Erik Strelnieks is now running cost quite a bit more than the Penske 8100's. Didn't Pat Salerno just change the valving on his Penskes, or did he also buy new shocks? Regardless, it does seem to be a matter of preference, Stacy was able to win last year with Guy's valving. I recently got my Penskes from Guy and was, at first, not sure what I had gotten into...they are valved pretty stiffly and also don't take full advantage of the shortening allowed under current SS rules. After changing my ride height slightly, working on the rebound settings and generally getting used to the shocks, I feel I am going faster...if Erik thinks good shocks are worth .2-.3 on a 45 second course, I feel Guy's shocks have given me at least that improvement. No back to back testing, though, to substantiate what are "seat of the pants" impressions...although, through slaloms and in making mid turn corrections, the benefits are very obvious.
One other thing, Guy is always there to answer questions and try to help, which has been very beneficial.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You should be able to find their web site by "googling" Ankeny Racing Enterprises, if not, pm me and I'll forward the number when I get home...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recommend anyone who wants shocks to talk to Sam Jr from Stranoparts.com before throwing away money. If you want anything I would recommend talking to him. Of the people I would trust / believe are Pat, Sam & Jr and they all had good things to say about the non-Penske shocks in regards to the Z06.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the only area you might get more "discussion" than shock tuners is engine builders...in both cases, you're working with individuals who have theories and ideas, based on experience, which leads them to their recommended set ups. I think this is definitely one of those circumstances where the "best" is that which fits your personal driving style and comfort level :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
To be perfectly honest, big $$$ shocks are only going to buy you a few tenths improvement over the '04 shocks. There are quite a few nationally competitive drivers running on what are essentially stock shocks. If your driving talent isn't already close to nationally competitive .... then you're really just throwing money away.

If skill level is not a concern and the question is which shock is better, well ... how big is your wallet? I've heard great things about Ohlins and JRZ's .... but they're very pricey and there aren't a lot people running them. The Koni 28-series shocks are very nice .... have all the amenities of the Penskes but do not have the external reservoir (making install A LOT easier). But again, they are quite pricey.

I personally bought Ankeny 8100 series shocks and wasn't satisfied with them. I have since re-valved them through Penske and am much happier with them .... but that's not to say that they didn't work before. I just prefer the new setup. I guess that's the moral of my post .... a lot of it is driver dependent, so do some research before you bust out your credit card.

BTW, Pat Salerno's shock story, there are rumors abound about what actually happened ... so unless you heard it from his mouth, I would be very careful about what you take from it.

-Don

·
Registered
49 Posts
DKTZ06 said:
To be perfectly honest, big $$$ shocks are only going to buy you a few tenths improvement over the '04 shocks. There are quite a few nationally competitive drivers running on what are essentially stock shocks. If your driving talent isn't already close to nationally competitive .... then you're really just throwing money away.

-Don
Don, FYI...this is for Braun's National car. If it'll get him 0.1 seconds...he'll take it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think some 90/10's in front and some air adjustables in back would be about right for Matthew...help with weight transfer and all... :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, dat me.

considering how we (Braun, Telehowski, & I) did this weekend I am not too concerned about shocks. 1 car, 3 trophies =)

And yes, I heard some of the story from Pat and the remainder from Sam.

And that's all I am going to volunteer.

Other than if you do buy special Penske's or Konis make sure you have them dyno'd to make sure you get what you asked for, heard many horror stories. Seems like most of the shocks out there are a waste of money.

·
Registered
131 Posts
^yeah, but just think, if Steve had those shocks, he might have gotten that tenth he needed to catch Strelnieks... :p

To be honest, I agree, the shocks are not worth as much as many want to believe. I won the Atwater tour on stock, '02 shocks with 25,000 miles on them. The only real difference I feel with the new Penskes is better transient response and I can see that I'm using more of the tread surface.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tigerdrvr said:
^yeah, but just think, if Steve had those shocks, he might have gotten that tenth he needed to catch Strelnieks... :p
Look again... Steve was much quicker than Erik...
He coned away a 31.248 on the right side, 0.239 seconds quicker than Erik on that side. And Steve was a little quicker on the left too.

Matthew would have beaten him as well, but we had a mechanical problem - bolt that holds the spring on in the rear fell out of the car...The 45.998 should have been DNF.

I didn't ask what vintage Erik's tires were, perhaps he would like to chime in if he's lurking. We were using tires only used for 2 drivers in Oscoda, and Sunday in Oscoda was wet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
SCCA_Z06 said:
Look again... Steve was much quicker than Erik...
He coned away a 31.248 on the right side, 0.239 seconds quicker than Erik on that side. And Steve was a little quicker on the left too.

Matthew would have beaten him as well, but we had a mechanical problem - bolt that holds the spring on in the rear fell out of the car...The 45.998 should have been DNF.

I didn't ask what vintage Erik's tires were, perhaps he would like to chime in if he's lurking. We were using tires only used for 2 drivers in Oscoda, and Sunday in Oscoda was wet.
Oh, OK, if he had the shocks, he would have avoided the cone that allowed Erik to win...

I'm just kidding, dood...you guys done good and the shocks aren't the key to winning or losing in the class, fer shur :thumb:

You still on the front 295s?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts