Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing the 1/4 mile, what setting do you put it in? Competetive mode?? Or do you just shut off the A/H T/C? Where are you launching at?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses. :cheers:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used to use Competition Driving, but it is too intrusive at times. When I grab a gear and get a bit of spin I can still feel it back off the throttle or timing or fuel (some sort of power loss.)

Now I just turn off the Active handling/Traction control.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Off

For drag racing, turn it off, not competitive.
For the street, I use competitive if I remember to activete it, which is a PITA. "Oh hold on Mr. Mustang, while I wait 5 seconds to be sure I don't wreck my chevy whilst I smoke your ford." JMHO

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
If the Active Handling System Active message does not appear on the DIC, then the system has not engaged.

On all the manical shifting, burnouts, and crazy stuff I've done in my car I've never gotten it to come on whilst going in a straight line......Usually its when I push my luck in a freeway on ramp or the ass end begins to step out at high speed......For me, AH stays on......always.....

Just my observation........

JC

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm

One of our regulars here uses COMPETITIVE mode at the strip.....and he is running in the 12.1 arena.......' 01 model.......bone stock cept for TRIC.
It's my understanding this is the way to fly.......
All that the COMP mode supposedly does is keep your car straight...........does NOT intrfere with power to the wheels at all, unless you start sideways, and then it applies brake for proper wheel.........Enlighten me, as now I am confused as to WHY you would not use it........

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Z06LS6, you got it.......AH alone does not control the timing or throttle......only the brakes.......and again, unless you see the message scroll by, it has not engaged.

Do yourself a favor and keep the car out of the wall......leave AH on.....TC off...........

JC

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I never did understand why the corvette engineers made it easier to turn everything off(traction control and active handling) than to put it into competitive mode. Seems like competitive mode is safer than all off and that if a 5 second delay has to be used, it should be for all off.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Competitive mode (which is Active Handling with no traction control) applies brakes to which ever wheels need braking in order to keep the car moving in the direction you are trying to take it. If both wheels are spinning (burnout), you are steering straight and headed straight so active handling should not kick in. If you are turning left and sliding to the right, active handling should apply a brake (rear right?) to correct the car so that you can turn right.

- Charley

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well maybe they changed something in the '02 Comp mode. When I have it in Comp mode and do my burnout at the track, it kills the car nearly. It is like the traction control is on. Then I just turn it all off and I can do a burnout just fine.

I've drag raced Z-28's for the past 4 years with no AH or TC and never had a problem. I probably have at least 1500 drag passes under my belt and only went near the wall three times. And all three were on one pass. Some dumbass import (and track crew member) had dragged water on the track and my ET Drags at 9 psi didn't seem to like it much :/

I still am going to put a linelock on the car, so I don't burn up the rear brakes and it is just easier on the car altogether.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ZO SIC said:
Well maybe they changed something in the '02 Comp mode. When I have it in Comp mode and do my burnout at the track, it kills the car nearly. It is like the traction control is on. Then I just turn it all off and I can do a burnout just fine.

I am not sure if the 02 active handling is that different from the 01. I have not done any drag racing (at the track) or even a burnout. My understanding just comes from the marketing information. Sounds like shutting off active handling is the safest way to a interferrence-free launch.

- Charley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts