Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, last night I was driving home from a car cruise and all of sudden anti-freezer/coolant starts streaming out from under the hood of my car. At the time, the engine temp jumped to 245F. I pulled over within seconds. Pop the hood and noticed the rad hose popped off the rad fitting. Since I didn't have any tools, I had it towed to my local dealer.

At 245F, could the engine be damaged? I picked the car up this evening from the dealer (new band clamp and 1 1/2 gal of fluid) and it seemed to be running a little hot. The dealer said everything checked out OK. However, the car now hits 215F sitting in traffic, 190F while driving. I do not recall the temps getting that high before.

Thoughts?
John

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The engine will tolerate higher temperatures just fine, for a while anyway. When the temperature goes above 260º the PCM goes in to "limp home" mode, firing each cylinder on alternate cycles to allow allow uncombusted air to help cool the motor. GM says you can drive the car for something like 50 miles with no coolant in the engine at all, though I'd hate to try. But in that context, tour experience is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It should be fine. Temperatures you mentioned sound pretty normal if you have not changed thermostat and fan temps.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
wlxx861 said:
Your coolant system was over pressured. Did the dealer offer any explanation as to why that happened?

Chas.

Exactly what I was thinking..................maybe a faulty pressure cap, :yeadog:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wlxx861 said:
Your coolant system was over pressured. Did the dealer offer any explanation as to why that happened?

Chas.

The dealer said the pressure in the system was fine. They think the rad hose might not have been fully seated over the bead on the rad flange.

·
Registered
475 Posts
zo6racerx said:
The dealer said the pressure in the system was fine. They think the rad hose might not have been fully seated over the bead on the rad flange.
That one would be hard for me to believe. I have a stock radiator in the garage and just went out and looked at it. The small upset on the input and output radiator nozzles are right on the very end. You would only need to engage the hose no more than 1/2" to effect a seal and give the clamp a place to seat. Have your cap tested.

Chas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts