Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-?

Any of you gents hardwired your radar detectors in yet? I have a passport 8500 with the smart cord hardwire kit. I have direct wired a number of radar detectors into a number of cars - even my 95 vette, but my '02 Z06 seems to be a bit more of a challenge. I can't find an easy ground connection. Help? Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Vette Hardwire

There is an open connector by the cpu on the passenger side especially for extra electronics; cell phones, detectors etc. Its either under the front carpet near the firewall or under the dash by the computer. Its taped up and tucked under so its sometimes hard to find but its there. Get help from your local dealer or others here may be able to be more explicit. There was a post on here a while back concerning this.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Zapper,

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking of going ahead and adding a 12V DC socket outlet there as well and just tuck it away with velcro under the dash to make it easy to use my cell phone power adapter or radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Radar Detector Hard Wire

I suggest that you wire your radar detector to your rear view mirror. I have successfully completed this operation on several GM cars including my '01 Z06. You have a ground and a 12v positive feed right in the mirror. It makes for a nice clean installation with only about 6 inches of wire.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
That's even a better idea for the radar detector. Thanks jrdjr.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What is the 12V feed into the mirror for? The maplights? Excuse my ignorance, I don't have my Z06 yet. I know a friend wired his V1 into the rear view mirror on his '96 Trans Am and everytime he opens his door the detector goes through it's little startup routine. VERY annoying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Radar Detector Hard Wire

Yes wiring the detector to the wrong positive feed is a pain if it resets everytime the door opens.

There are two 12V positive feeds to the rearview mirror. One is for the light when the door is opened and one is for the map lights. The map light 12v is always on. The negative is the black wire. The positive map light is the orange wire on edge of the plug, not the orange wire almost in the middel. I hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts