Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on installing a 160 thermostat and I had all the required materials and fluids ready but when I went to drain the coolant as per the service manual, it appears to me that GM has some sort of special tool to remove the radiator drain plug.
I tried the allen head socket, no joy there. It appears you could wedge a screw driver in there and twist it loose but the drain valve is polastic and I would hate to destroy it.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated

Thanks in advance
Jim

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Jim, Just remove the lower hose where it connects to the radiator, I think.....

Good time to change out the hoses too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You don't remove the drain plug. Stick the Allen wrench in and give it a quarter turn to open the valve. Then you want to disconnect the overflow tube to vent it up top. It will drain much neater than doing the lower radiator hose thing - just slower.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I just drained the radiator, and the drain cock takes a 1/4 inch square drive ... not an allen wrench. I just used the end of a 1/4" ratched extention. Turn the drain cock only about 1/4 turn ... it will pop outward and the coolant will start draining.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
I just drained the radiator, and the drain cock takes a 1/4 inch square drive ... not an allen wrench. I just used the end of a 1/4" ratched extention. Turn the drain cock only about 1/4 turn ... it will pop outward and the coolant will start draining.
Update -- I had a chance to look at the drain cock closely. It has the 1/4 inch sqare drive, and down inside that there seems to be an allen socket, but it looks small IMO.

I used the 1/4 inch square drive with no problems, and certainly most people have a 1/4 inch ratchet and a 1/4 inch extension which will work well on the drain cock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts