Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed excessive hydroplaning with the original tires? It was raining heavy this morning. At some point, I got in the left lane and the car felt totally out of my control. :eek: Good thing I had AH on, otherwise I think I might have hit the median.

Great for dry, but I'm wondering if I shoudn't leave these for DE events and buy a set of Khumos for everyday. :-?

:cheers:

- loucas
2001 Z06 TR/Black
Stock all the way (so far)

·
Registered
111 Posts
On the road they suck, because the tire looses contact with the road. On a smooth surface they stick very well in the rain.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I've found the GY F1 Supercar....

to handle a lot like Intermidiate R's in the wet, not quite rain tires. Leave the AH ON!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think here is a general rule of thumb which I believe is true: The wider the tires the more tendency they have to hydroplane. And intuitively it makes sense. I'll be certain to leave AH on when I get my Z, especially in the rain. But I will have to try flooring it in a safe place without AH on just for the heck of it.:cool:

·
Registered
631 Posts
The heavy rain will pool in the road's grooved areas if it is a well worn road.

No car tire will perform well in that situation. Your driving style simply has to change to accomodate the road condition.

Slow down a lot in that situation and take it easy shifting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zapper,

You're right about the need to adjust the driving style to different road conditions. I had to slow down or I was going to eat it. :D

I'm trying to get used to a car with this much power. Coming from an E36 M3 and a Carrera 996, this car is plain scary-fast at times. I just got back from a drive and had a bast. :cool:

loucas

·
Registered
631 Posts
Have fun and Thank You for the polite acknowledgement. We all want to see each other around here for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Having instructed at several track events in the rain on stock tires I can firmly tell you they suck.

They are literally almost as bad as shaved kumho's.
I have gone to kumho's all around (on GS rims) and the car is the exact same in the wet on a road track and on the street.
If you want a great rain tire go with Firehawk's!!
They last forever and grip as good in the rain as in the dry almost.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran Khumos on my C2 and they seemed to work great in the rain. I also did a DE event at TWS with them and they performed pretty decent there also.

Not as good as the Pilot Sports, IMHO, but a good performer all the way around at a decent price.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have had excessive hydroplaning with the original tires, AH got it under control before I could react.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wt2ga, that was pretty much what happened to me. I've noticed it before but decided that it was probably related to road conditions, but after this last time, I started to think if maybe I should change the tires.

They are excellent on flat, dry roads, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts