Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used or heard about the Random Tech Exhaust upgrade: x-pipe with dual high flow cats 3". I saw it on there web page...they sound very nice...10hp and 14trq. for roughly $800.00

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I'm in the midst of my DD right now. I'm installing the SVO 30LB injectors next week and am considering changing over from my stock cats to RT Hi Flo's. The diameter of the RT's are bigger and i'm concerned when/if I lower my Z it maybe subject to scraping or worse.

Although there is no sniff test in Fl there may be an insurance problem in the event your car is involved in a fire and you are NOT running with cats. I have been made aware of a non-Vette related case...I wont take that chance.

The RT set up is made SS and includes a rear X pipe...It sells for about $800 or you can buy the cats alone for about $300. Fubu/Les

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Random Tech also makes 2 3/4" for Z's

I got the 2 3/4" Cats and the Bassani X-Pipe. Random's X-Pipe wasn't out yet.

The guys at Random told me the 2 3/4" fit perfectly, but the 3" requires some modifications I didn't want to make on my car.

The smaller units flow almost as much as the bigger ones. If I remember correctly, it was 480 vs. 505 cfm. Stock is 230cfm.

Best advise is to call Random direct, or talk to you favorite Vendor, or both, which is what I did. Got mine from Shawn @ LAPD.

HTH,

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Barrie, did you just swap ou the stock main cats? Do they hang lower do to the thickness? Expected gain ? Give us the low down...Les:)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
If anyone is interested, I do a lot of business with RT and would be happy to add this item to my store at a great price. Just shoot me an email if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Les,

No, but I redid almost the whole exhaust system. Previously, I replaced the Titanium Mufflers with the Corsa Indy's(Pro Tips), as Steve Cole told me the Ti Mufflers become very restrictive above 6,000 rpm. I plan on doing the heads and cam this Spring, so I'd want the Rev limiter reset to 7,200 rpm. Between 6,000 and 7,200, I want as little restriction as possible.

I did the Headers, Cats, and X-Pipe at the same time. Went with TPIS 1 3/4" long tubes into the Random Tech 2 3/4" High flow cats, and a Bassani X-Pipe.

The Random Tech Cats fit perfectly and hang no lower than stock. One thing I noticed when I picked 'em up from Shawn @ LAPD is that they are super lightweight. They come with instructions and they must be installed in the right direction.

My setup is very similar to a friend's '97 Coupe, except he has the 1 5/8" TTS Headers, and the B&B Route 66 exhaust. He used to have the PRT's, but with the headers and free flowing cats the exhaust noise was so loud his wife refised to ride in the car. So, he put on the Route 66 system and it was bearable for her. At WOT it's still very loud, but sounds like my car and in a word, it's bitchen :D

Steve Cole told me his TTS long tube headers (1 5/8" tubes) produced 17rwhp on a Z06 before and after it was dynoed. I figure the TPIS would be similar, but have more capacity for flowing air(exhaust) based on my future planned mods. The Random Flow Cats should get 8-10 more rwhp, and the X-Pipe somewhere between 2-5rwhp. Being conservative, maybe 25-27rwhp? Unfortunately, I didn't dyno before and after.

Last Dyno showed 368 rwhp, but I'm running Pig Rich at WOT above 4,000 rpm. Wide band sensor showed 11.9-12.0 fuel air mix. My intake is wide open with a Vortex Rammer(Thank You Ernie!!) and Power Duct. I got rid of the Granatelli MAF-5% rich.....and had the screen removed. I have a Halltech ported and polished throttle body. I use 96 octane fuel all the time. I'm in Kalifornia, and thus have a 160 tstat and a hot water bypass, and I'm running 75% water in the radiator with Redline Water Wetter and No Roison for additional corrosion protection. And, I'm having a Vinci Fan Controller installed. This should help a lot this Summer. It gets HOT in Sunny Southern Kalifornia!!

I've been trying to get a PCM recalibration since October, but Steve Cole at TTS is just too busy, so I'm trying to get an appointment with Ron Zimmer at Z Industries. Both PCM tuners are in Los Angeles, so I can just drive in and get it adjusted. The PCM makes a big difference. At 12.8-13.0 fuel air mix I should get another 20 HP, or 388 rwhp. I think she'll do a little more :)

Right now, with the Traction Control "ON," I can spin the tires at will in 1st & 2nd gear. It's *normal* when you have more power to over-ride the computer. It's set, on my car, to control 385HP(about 330rwhp). 390rwhp=approx. 460 crank HP :cool: The computer just can't keep up with all that power.

I gave you a detailed responce, but thought some of the guys would find it of interest ;)

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
575 Posts
Anybody know the Random (sp.) Technologies website address?

Bob

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks Barrie!!

Bob

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Talked To Random Tech Today

I talked to Random Tech today to see if they have tested their C5 system (X pipe and replacement cats) on an '02 Z06. They claim 10 h/p and 14 ft/lbs gain with this system on their website.

They have NOT done any before/after testing on the 02's. The guy I talked to agreed with me that since the '02 exhaust system is quite different, they really could not say at this point if there are any gains to be had with their system. He did tell me that they hope to be able to do a before/after relative gains type test in the near future.

So IMHO, until I see some test results, I would be cautious regarding what this system will do for an '02. No doubt they have some good product - but as always, caveat emptor...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts