Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some posts on installing the raptor shift light using the instrument cluster wiring harness and thought that would be the easiest way to install this thing.

Well, I've got power to it with no problem, but I cannot locate the right wire for the tach. Two different members have said where the tach wire is. One says it's a white wire and another says it's one of two green/white striped wires. Which one is it? I've spliced them all and this light will not activate.

Plus now my DIC is saying "Low Voltage." What's that about? I have not cut anything apart on the harness and was pretty careful.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Installed mine by locating white wire on passenger side inside car near connectors that enter from engine compartment. I have the manuals and first located the wire at the fuse block near the battery. Switched power and ground were also available on passenger side floor under cover. Not familiar with green/white on instrument cluster side. On the low voltage problem if you can measure the battery voltage at the battery you should see something around 12.6 volts if its charged and engine not running. I would guess that if it's below 12.0 you'll need to charge it. If you've run tests without running the engine you may have dropped the voltage some and need charging. If car is running alternator should be outputting 14 volts or more during charging. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Send me your e-mail address I send you some large pictures and instructions. The pics are too large to post here.

Chas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FredsVette said:
Installed mine by locating white wire on passenger side inside car near connectors that enter from engine compartment. I have the manuals and first located the wire at the fuse block near the battery. Switched power and ground were also available on passenger side floor under cover. Not familiar with green/white on instrument cluster side. On the low voltage problem if you can measure the battery voltage at the battery you should see something around 12.6 volts if its charged and engine not running. I would guess that if it's below 12.0 you'll need to charge it. If you've run tests without running the engine you may have dropped the voltage some and need charging. If car is running alternator should be outputting 14 volts or more during charging. Hope this helps.
Let me expand on the DIC "low voltage" warning. As I was testing for the tach wire, I lost the tachometer and the voltometer on the instrument cluster. They are no longer working. The tach is at zero and stays there when I press the gas, and the voltometer also is at zero, flatlined. The car has power and starts no problem. I even had it on a charger last night just to be certain. But starting the car this morning, I still get the same message.

It's obviously something I f'd up. But I have been as careful as possible when splicing into the instrument cluster harness. Could I have blown a fuse? I just hope I didn't trash the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I took mine all the way back to the PCM under the passenger side fender well.

I had the same problem trying to identify a tach feed near the instrument cluster, so figured I would just go to the sure thing.

No issues so far.

Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished the install and the raptor works great. The tach wire was a white wire, it just took trial and error to find it. One member mentioned it was a green/white wire but this was not the case for me. I have an '04, so unless it's a different year the tach wire appears to be one of 4 white wires in the instrument cluster harness.

Cool thing about this install is that the whole thing can be done from under the kick panel (driver side) using the IPC harness.

I used the pink wire for power, white wire for tach input, and the ground can go basically anywhere. Definitely saves headaches not having enough wire to run to the PCM or anywhere on the passenger side.

Mounted the light off the rearview mirror right below it. It's in your face so you can't miss it, yet looks like it belongs there.

The tach and volt gauges was the result of a blown fuse, #19 under the passenger side labeled "IPC." Thought I was screwed here but a call to the dealer got my memory going. They first said the whole instrument cluster would need replacing and that there are no fuses. But the guy I talked to mentioned "IPC," which I remembered was on the passenger fuse panel. Didn't know what IPC meant at first, but checked the fuse and it was blown. New fuse corrected everything.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
wlxx861 said:
Send me your e-mail address I send you some large pictures and instructions. The pics are too large to post here.

Chas.

Can I also get a set of pic's I need to install my Raptor :cheers: Mike

·
Registered
475 Posts
Rob / Morzoff...........The pictures and instructions are on my office computer. I will send them 1st thing Tuesday morning.

Chas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts