Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the opportunity to purchase my friends, Black on Black 2008 Z06. He is the original owner. The car is in SHOWROOM condition. No-crack original tires, and only has 600 miles
on it. He's asking $ 49,000.00. In you folks opinion, Do you think that this would be a good purchase?

Don in Boca Raton

·
Registered
279 Posts
There is no simple answer to your question. If you are buying the to car to drive it, and use it as it was intended, then this is probably night the right car for you. You are obviously paying a premium for the 600 miles. As with any car miles = money lost.
The other thing is if you plan on driving it, here are a few things you might want to check. When was the last time the coolant was flushed. As the coolant gets old it can cause corrosion in the entire system. If you live as it looks like from your signature FL. when was the last time the brake fluid was changed? Brake fluid attracts water destroying brake systems. GM recommends flushing after 5 years and then every 3 after that. Those original "no crack" tires are junk by now and need to be replaced.
I am not in any way trying to crap on your friends car, just letting you know that if you plan on buying it, there will be things that need to be addressed before you start driving this car.
These are wonderful cars, that are not very finicky, they do however require regular maintenance. I know I have left a lot out, just trying to give you some thought starters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no simple answer to your question. If you are buying the to car to drive it, and use it as it was intended, then this is probably night the right car for you. You are obviously paying a premium for the 600 miles. As with any car miles = money lost.
The other thing is if you plan on driving it, here are a few things you might want to check. When was the last time the coolant was flushed. As the coolant gets old it can cause corrosion in the entire system. If you live as it looks like from your signature FL. when was the last time the brake fluid was changed? Brake fluid attracts water destroying brake systems. GM recommends flushing after 5 years and then every 3 after that. Those original "no crack" tires are junk by now and need to be replaced.
I am not in any way trying to crap on your friends car, just letting you know that if you plan on buying it, there will be things that need to be addressed before you start driving this car.
These are wonderful cars, that are not very finicky, they do however require regular maintenance. I know I have left a lot out, just trying to give you some thought starters.
Mr. Bruno: Thank you so much for taking time to reply to my Post with your thoughtful comments. I do realize I'm paying for the Mileage and the Concours Condition for the 13 year old car. I would be driving it often, and have no intensions of Flippin' it. I am a retired automobile mechanic, and do intend on changing, all of the fluids and tires.
I have been out of the Used Corvette Market for some time now. I wasn't looking for a replacement for my 2006 Z06,
but my friend happened to pop by, and asked me, if I knew anyone looking for this type of vehicle. Naturally, this brought me back to my 2006 Z06 days, and almost fell in love with it. I just don't want this one to pass me by, and have regrets later on, saying, "I Should Have Bought That Friggin' Car." I am a member of the Hagerty Drivers Club.
They have the car as: #1 Concours: $73,300, #2 Excellent: $53,200, #3 Good: $39,500, #4 Fair $29,600.
Tulsa, Ok. Red 2008 Z06 761 miles for $55,000, Driven Autoplex: Blue 2008 Z06 47,000 miles $48,547.
Edmunds: Silver 2007 Z06, 205 miles for $ 82,990. Corvette Warehouse: 2008 Z06 11,286 miles 3 OWNERS $48,995
Car Gurus: Red 2008 Z06 32,000 miles $48,000, Car Fax(3): Black 2008 Z06 3,416 miles $60,000.00. Red 2008 Z06
8,434 miles $48,000, Yellow 2008 Z06 8155 miles $48,000. Just a few so show you some prices. Bruno, sorry this was so long, but I certainly respect your opinion. Thank you so very much, Don in Fla. [email protected]

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was just looked up the same info and based on those numbers the car is being well bought. There is no doubt that a 600 mile car is going to have to be in "concourse" condition. I watch a lot of online auctions, and the collectors always preach buy the car with the lowest possible miles, and one that is as close to original as possible. I think you have covered both of those conditions.
I know a few months back Hagerty published an article that all Corvettes were seeing price appreciation due to the C8 being produced. In general all used cars have appreciated greatly since the covid crap hit. The only question is will the values stay up?
As for buying this car I am the wrong guy to ask, I like the C6 body style and currently own 4 black cars. I would say go for it, and again don't forget to post pictures after you get it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the opportunity to purchase my friends, Black on Black 2008 Z06. He is the original owner. The car is in SHOWROOM condition. No-crack original tires, and only has 600 miles
on it. He's asking $ 49,000.00. In you folks opinion, Do you think that this would be a good purchase?
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
Don in Boca Raton
First, I just purchased a 2008 C6Z with 25k miles in Jetstream Blue (my personal favorite color - which doesn’t hold a candle to pics, it’s honestly beautiful in person). My cap was 40k as well.
I searched for the better part of 3 months for it. I’d recommend watching the corvette forum’s for sale threads. A lot of them come up there and there’s a lot of really high quality stuff... as long as you can wait for the right deal.
Your first concerns are well researched. I’d personally shoot for a 2008+ (which is what I did) because of the T6060. 2009+ larger oil sump is nice, but I wouldn’t say it’s a deal breaker. Mag ride is awesome, but I also wanted to avoid it. Luckily, the previous owner of mine swapped the factory shocks for the Bilstein DRM shocks, and I have to say they’re worth every dollar. Honestly, this car sticks to the ground something fierce, even with 500+ hp. The DRM shocks are a solid upgrade that I’d consider for a minimal cost after you find one.
3LZ is awesome.. but, every one I found ended up having some weird color combinations that I didn’t care for. The majority of the Z’s I looked at were 2LZ optioned - which is what I had my heart set one. However, the one I bought is a 1LZ. Heated seats would have been nice, and a few of the other options, BUT the previous owner did a swap of a 2012 interior upgrade. So it has the alcantara/leather seats from leatherseats.com, ebrake, shift boot, and armrest cover to match the seats, and a 2012 wheel. So the downfall of the older interior and the 1LZ was diminished by the very tasteful upgrades he did.
Warranty and valve guide issues. This is a tough one. First, there are still some 2009s with factory GMPP warranties that I saw pop up (that’s the 10 year extended warranty) which weighed on my final opinion. I nearly pulled the trigger on a red one that had a GMPP warranty but I couldn’t bring myself to drive a red Corvette (just my personal opinion). Some extended warranties will cover a full long block and they will do a full replacement - rather than a rebuilt motor. However, you’d have to request those details at that time from whoever is offering the warranty. I personally wanted but only considered head work done on these cars by a reputable shop. If it had head work done, I wanted receipts and to be able to call the shop and verify they did the work. Tons of guys can do the head work, sure, but plenty of guys may not torque head bolts correctly, or set specs exactly perfect when reassembling. Therefore, I felt more comfortable if a reputable shop did the heads. I would personally recommend buying one with the heads done (which most that come up for sale on the corvette forums have the work done). If it doesn’t have the work done, do yourself a favor, and budget $2500-$3500 under what your cap is and have the work done by AHP, WCCH, RPM, or another similar company (depending on where you’re located).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just looked up the same info and based on those numbers the car is being well bought. There is no doubt that a 600 mile car is going to have to be in "concourse" condition. I watch a lot of online auctions, and the collectors always preach buy the car with the lowest possible miles, and one that is as close to original as possible. I think you have covered both of those conditions.
I know a few months back Hagerty published an article that all Corvettes were seeing price appreciation due to the C8 being produced. In general all used cars have appreciated greatly since the covid crap hit. The only question is will the values stay up?
As for buying this car I am the wrong guy to ask, I like the C6 body style and currently own 4 black cars. I would say go for it, and again don't forget to post pictures after you get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bruno: I can't thank you enough for your time and great email regarding the 2008 Z06. You made me see the entire picture. The original owner said the vehicle was serviced yearly. I asked him if he had all of the Receipts/Invoices, and he replied: Ya somewhere. He than said that he now wanted 50 G's for the car. Ya know what, I'm done with him for now. I'm number 202 on the GM ORDER WORKBENCH, and have built and priced my 2022 C8 Z51 Corvette.
Thanks again for showing me the light,
Don Pavlik in Boca Eaton, Fl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts