Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to throw this out there as I have seen several threads on various sites discuss this vague and hard to diagnose sound via the internet but hear goes. I have 07 ZO6 that has been making a rattling sound from what sounds like the front passenger side of the car. It only does it when I am at idle it seems in neutral or in gear it will make what I can only describe here as a rattling sound sort of like an old exhaust flange slipped on over the exhaust pipe and rattling (if that makes sense). It is a clear metal or aluminum rattling sound but more like solid metal. The car runs excellent but this noise is embarrassing when you are in traffic or at a drive thru and this damn rattling sounds makes the car sound bad. It has AR 1 7/8 Headers and high flow cats with the NPP stock exhaust. Everything is tight in the exhaust because it was just put on at Norris Motorsports here in Indy but the noise was present before that and still the same now. I love the car but this noise has me wanting to sell it and move on. I have had 7 corvettes (3 of the ZO6) and this sound was never present on any of them. Anyone encounter this sound and if so what was determined to be the root cause. I have heard things from shifter, end links, heat shields etc but none seemed to define this sound I am hearing. I will try to video the noise and upload but not sure how well it will come across as sounds are not the same unless in person, this is loud enough you can hear it from 20 feet away from the car, when in motion I do not hear it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think I have read that on some of the earlier Z's the oil sump tank can be attributed to making some noise's so maybe check that.

·
21,321 Posts
I had the same rattle and sure enough, it was the oil tank for the dry sump. I removed it myself and found a cut O ring on a tube which allowed metal to metal contact. Difficulty removing the tank is a 2 out of 5 with 5 being the most difficult.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts