Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Dietery Horsepower

While on Vette Magazines website I came across a pretty interesting article on power increase with weightloss, and just wanted to share it with you guys (hope this wasn't already posted)... On my previous car I had a HUGE obsession with dropping weight, in the end I dropped about 220lbs without doing anything crazy (ultra lightweight exhaust, can of fix-a-flat, coilovers, front mount intercooler, removed the 100% useless rear seats..etc), if I kept going I could have got the car down to about 2920lbs with a new set of seats but by then I gave up on the car..

Now that moves me to the Z.. I never really gave weightloss a huge thought but figured if I can drop some lbs why not, it doesn't hurt and then I saw this article..

Dietery Horsepower

With my new found obsession of drag racing a new clutch is in my future and now Im starting to think new flywheel too, now if I can drop some of the drivetrain loss during the procedure that would be pretty cool..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
corvettes dont have a rear seat

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The weight of the al. flywheel does not have the same inertia as the heavier steel flywheel. Therefore it takes more power to launch.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
What about the Spec 3 aluminum clutch ? Weight savings over the regular Spec 3....but I've yet to see a post here with anyone using it.
I see it advertised at MTI web site.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I have been using the Spec 3 with an al. flywheel but I also was 650+ at the rear wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts