Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Re: Ugh...First time down with the Z

Ran the car at Heartland Park Topeka last night (Wed. night). Best I could do was [email protected] with a 2.1 60 foot. I made 4 passes, and that was the best ET and MPH.

Note the mods in my sig.

Temp was around 81, and it was muggy as hell, so obviously DA was working way against me. I figure the altitude to be 11 or 1200 ft. there, dunno for sure. Maybe 60% or more humidity...thunderstorms were a-brewin off to the west.

Obviously my 60s suck...the car wheel hopped on me pretty bad...I was launching between 2 and 2.5 k on stock F1's. I have read all of the launch technique articles on here, and obviously need a lot more practice with the launch, but even with DA correction, I think my MPH sucks with my mods. Granted the car is already apparently weak by comparison by only doing 374. I chalk some of that up to cats, and stock Ti cat-back.

Even with DA correction I dont see being off this much?! Any help/advice/etc. appreciated. I have driven a mild H&C WS6 Formula before this to an 11.99 @117.5, and had two LT1 Camaros before that. All total, at least 100 passes down the 1/4...my launch isnt great....but my shifts were at least crisp and fast (speed shift, not power shift).

Any help/soothing of ego/etc. appreciated... :eek::

BTW...I still love the damn car and know it's capable...perhaps this tells me I need to uncork the exhaust, and do what else I can?? Airbridge and coupler, pulley?? :bang: :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Not bad for the first time out with it.. I see a lot of guys run 13's first time out.. Just need practice, and then after that more practice.. You'll get there..

Question, when you had it Tuned, what was the AFR?? If the car is rich then you will see some low numbers.. I don't think the exhaust is hurting you. The stock TI flow pretty good.

Did you lower your tire pressure? And you might think about running a 160 thermo.. and have the fans come on sooner. Just to keep the temps down.

Just my .02 worth

Ernie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hear ya on the 160...temps were creeping on 200...typically at 198 with the fans going on at 190...just couldnt keep up in the staging lanes. That definitely wasnt helping...

Did not lower tire pressure..had to drive 60 miles back to KC and didnt want to jack with that...especially on stock rubber...I hear/see it's possible to get 1.8s out of the stock rubber...but that is god-like launching to me on stock rubber...best I ever saw was on Firehawk SZ50 EP's on my Firebird and that was 2.0....did get 1.6x's out of ET Streets with that car though...Nittos...maybe 1.9s...

I'd have to look at my dyno chart and AF ratio chart at work...but I want to say 13.0ish...all the way...looked to be tuned well...MC's here in KC does a lot of cars including Z's...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
Z06Modder said:
Hear ya on the 160...temps were creeping on 200...typically at 198 with the fans going on at 190...just couldnt keep up in the staging lanes. That definitely wasnt helping...

Did not lower tire pressure..had to drive 60 miles back to KC and didnt want to jack with that...especially on stock rubber...I hear/see it's possible to get 1.8s out of the stock rubber...but that is god-like launching to me on stock rubber...best I ever saw was on Firehawk SZ50 EP's on my Firebird and that was 2.0....did get 1.6x's out of ET Streets with that car though...Nittos...maybe 1.9s...

I'd have to look at my dyno chart and AF ratio chart at work...but I want to say 13.0ish...all the way...looked to be tuned well...MC's here in KC does a lot of cars including Z's...
These cars like to run a bit hotter than you'd think. I ran 4 hot laps (1 immediately after the other) Tues. @ a rental & each run was quicker than the previous run.
Didn't the track have an air hose that you could have used to pump your tires back up with before you drove home??
I think your A/F # could be better, but I'm no tuning pro by any means. I think guys shoot for #'s in the 12's for A/F.
1.8x are very possible on street tires w/ a nicely prepped track & a good launch technique. I had 2 1.88 60' times Tues. (after I took off my ET Streets & made a few Street tire runs for fun) & that was with not having run on street tires at the track in almost 1 year...
Good job for your 1st time out. My 1st time out in this car I managed a best of 13.0.. :mah:
Ron
 

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
They may like to run hot, and that's fine up to ~220^F. Once it gets there (either at the starting line or halfway down the track, it doesn't matter) the PCM will retard some timing as the ECT climbs. This will result in a 2-3mph loss in trap speed easily.

I wouldn't be too concerned about your mods helping or hurting. They work just fine. 374rwhp is nothing to sneeze at with the basic mods you have. It may be a bit lower than some others, but that's beside the point of this discussion, IMHO. I ran 116mph (12.36 on F1s...2.04 60') with 350rwhp (corrected). It was a cool day, so it could very well have been 370+ (actual) on the day I ran. If it was really hot on the day you ran, you may have been at 350rwhp or so (especially if the ECTs got up there).

More practice will help both your ET and trap speed. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
actually not bad for first time with car to drag strip....when mine was relatively stock (381rwhp) and on stock tires my 60ft were mostly around 2.0 with low 12s for quarter and mph around 118...your mph seems a little low, are you taking each gear to near rev limit before shifting? .... probably just need more seat time ... good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
I wouldnt be too dissappointed. I have yet to see a vet z06 run faster than 13.0 at our track. NOT ONE. All run in the 107-109 mph range. I am sure there have been some but I go alot and have yet to see it. Dr.Bigg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
With the mods you appear to have and the correct tuning, you should be hitting around 390 hp from what I have heard locally. The stock Ti exhaust is not bad. You've got the other basic induction/exhaust mods. Have you done anything with your TB or MAF? (I assume you have, as that is usually part of the bolt on induction work. Make sure you've got the entire induction system ahead of the manifold upgraded to get maximum benefit, if you haven't already.) Is your tuning correct? Also, while you may not be happy with your 60 and your ET, you should be making plenty of power and that should be reflected in your trap speed. Get it tuned, re-dyno, and then do the math to see what kind of trap speed you should be getting. Then go to the track and see what kind of speed you are getting.


Of course, you could quit worrying about drags and try road course work.... :D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
quickZ said:
With the mods you appear to have and the correct tuning, you should be hitting around 390 hp from what I have heard locally. The stock Ti exhaust is not bad. You've got the other basic induction/exhaust mods. Have you done anything with your TB or MAF? (I assume you have, as that is usually part of the bolt on induction work. Make sure you've got the entire induction system ahead of the manifold upgraded to get maximum benefit, if you haven't already.) Is your tuning correct? Also, while you may not be happy with your 60 and your ET, you should be making plenty of power and that should be reflected in your trap speed. Get it tuned, re-dyno, and then do the math to see what kind of trap speed you should be getting. Then go to the track and see what kind of speed you are getting.


Of course, you could quit worrying about drags and try road course work.... :D
MCRacing, where modder got his tune, is very good but they are also very concerned with safety, especially under track conditions. They will not sacrifice A/F ratio just to get a higher number (which many of you know is not true of all tuners ;) ). I know these guys very well and I can tell you than Z06Modder can beat on his car all day long and not worry about detonation. I'm not sure everyone can say that!!

Heartland is a very fickle drag strip. Since the drag area is also part of the main straight-a-way for the road course, the traction can be either very good or very bad, depending on the night you show up. It's very difficult to get good 60's on stock F1's and I don't think Modder's launches were too far out of line (especially for the first time with his Z on the track). As for the trap speeds, they do appear a tad low but we have had very high humidity here recently and if the staging lines were long, there was most certainly some heat buildup.
I'd say, all in all, it was a pretty good night at the track for Z06Modder!!

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
MCRacing, where modder got his tune, is very good but they are also very concerned with safety, especially under track conditions. They will not sacrifice A/F ratio just to get a higher number (which many of you know is not true of all tuners ;) ). I know these guys very well and I can tell you than Z06Modder can beat on his car all day long and not worry about detonation. I'm not sure everyone can say that!!

Heartland is a very fickle drag strip. Since the drag area is also part of the main straight-a-way for the road course, the traction can be either very good or very bad, depending on the night you show up. It's very difficult to get good 60's on stock F1's and I don't think Modder's launches were too far out of line (especially for the first time with his Z on the track). As for the trap speeds, they do appear a tad low but we have had very high humidity here recently and if the staging lines were long, there was most certainly some heat buildup.
I'd say, all in all, it was a pretty good night at the track for Z06Modder!!

Mike
Spoken like a true veteran. I agree. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was quite humid, and the car was heat sinked to hell with their 2 lane staging...so...thanks Mike and MAGS. I cant wait to see you guys go down the 1/4 some time.

I'm going to stick with KCIR I think at this point.

The car is tuned well. It's very smooth. I am going to get it back out when we've got some nice, cool weather and try it again. Unfortunately, with my schedule, and the heat coming on soon (consistently)...it may be Fall before we see good DA. If I wasnt solidly booked up in May....I might have gotten the chance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
Z06Modder

Looks like you did well for your first time at that track....

I have a lot of trouble breaking the 2.0 60ft but then I'm fairly new at drag racing. How did you run the Active Handling/Traction Control system: Competitive Driving or OFF??

We all need to hook up at KCIR one night and then at my house another night for drinks.....

Best of luck to you.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Nothing wrong with those times. :thumb: :thumb:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
PaulS said:
Z06Modder

Looks like you did well for your first time at that track....

I have a lot of trouble breaking the 2.0 60ft but then I'm fairly new at drag racing. How did you run the Active Handling/Traction Control system: Competitive Driving or OFF??

We all need to hook up at KCIR one night and then at my house another night for drinks.....

Best of luck to you.....
Sound like fun, Paul. Let's do it!

Mike
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top