Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good reaction time trainer? I have never been on a drag strip and I just joined a local club race team. A guy had an Eliminator 2000 at the meeting yesterday. It seemed OK but $$$$! I also found the "Starting Line" software package on the web that is only $39. It seems to have features lacking in the Eliminator and I can use a pedal set with my PC that I already have. However, it doesn't appear to have a shifting feature to enable practice with a shift light. Recommendations?

Also, any recommendations on a shift light? How difficult is installation and is the shift point adjustable? One setting or different settings for different gears?

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Ralph, don't mean to butt in here but I'd like to offer my personal opinion on this.
You stated that you've never been on the drag strip before. The last thing I would worry about is my reaction time. If you are concentrating so much on your reaction time, it is unlikely that you will have a good run.

For a new driver (first time at the strip), the launch (getting traction out of the box), smooth shifting at the appropriate rpm, keeping the car straight in the groove, etc will give you more than enough things to concentrate on than how fast your R/T is.

A good shift light is a valuable item at the strip but I would recommend you take a number of passes without it first.
Get to know your Z at the strip. Get a sense of the rpms by feel and by sound first and then you can move on to shift lights, etc.

There are a number of old threads here that can give you some assistance on what to expect at the track, how best to launch, etc. Ranger and powershifter had some exceptional threads on this subject in the past if you do a search.

Your first times at the track can be a little overwhelming trying to remember all the do's and don'ts and it is more important that you finish the race with yourself and your Z in one piece!

Roadracing has some advantages for the new racer because of the instruction and insight you get from your instructor during your first DE's. Drag racing is just you out there by yourself trying to figure it all out. Take your time, get comfortable with your car and above all ...Have Fun!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Ralph,
Mike's advice is right on the money. You can always work on reaction time after you get the launch figured out and get a bunch of shifting practice. Also, you might consider getting a set of drag radials which will improve you launch a bunch.
I have a guy here that is going to sell me a set of Nitto 555r2
D/R's at cost, as soon as I decide to pull the trigger on these
I'll shoot you a price! HTH,,,,, Jim :z:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys: I know there is a lot to work on. I guess I should just use my wife's automatic Volvo instead, HUH? That way no worries about launch, shifting, going straight, drag radials or anything. Plus, I can have lunch on the way. :p

Actually, the reason for wanting to practice with the lights and reaction is that's one thing I can do in my home and if I get used to it, then I won't need to worry about it at the track and can focus more attention on the other matters. We will have a test and tune night before the first race and we get a couple of qualifying runs before each event so I will get some practice time at the track. Plus, there are several experienced Z06 drivers on the team to offer advice.

Finally, remember that at Bandimere, west of Denver, the density altitude ranges from 6000 to 10000 feet, so the Z won't be that hard to control.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
RalphP said:
.......Finally, remember that at Bandimere, west of Denver, the density altitude ranges from 6000 to 10000 feet, so the Z won't be that hard to control.
Ralph, don't kid yourself bro. At 440rwhp, you will be faced with traction issues, even at that altitude. I guarantee it!

Would be real interested in hearing your impressions after your first track runs. Please post a thread and tell us how it went.

Mike

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikesZ06 said:
Ralph, don't kid yourself bro. At 440rwhp, you will be faced with traction issues, even at that altitude. I guarantee it!

Would be real interested in hearing your impressions after your first track runs. Please post a thread and tell us how it went.

Mike
Mike: I look forward to that! (traction issues) :jammin: I have experienced the Z's penchant for walking sideways a few times so no worries that it will surprise me.

My aim is to have fun and go fast in a high-powered car - and look good doing it. I certainly know that the Z is not the ideal bracket racer and one needs some skill to even make a decent showing. That will be half the fun.

Anyway, I will definitely post impressions (plus pics) here after my initial experiences. Thanks a lot for your advice and support.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Out of about 8 tries I got a "0" twice but also gave me a red light! I enjoyed this on-line practice tree.

I use a cheap one from JEGs with a pedal. I'd like to get a real (full-sized) practice tree and be able to sit inside my car and practice, but I don't have room for the full-sized unit yet and don't care to spend the money on it yet, either.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man 'O War said:
Out of about 8 tries I got a "0" twice but also gave me a red light! I enjoyed this on-line practice tree.

I use a cheap one from JEGs with a pedal. I'd like to get a real (full-sized) practice tree and be able to sit inside my car and practice, but I don't have room for the full-sized unit yet and don't care to spend the money on it yet, either.
I want all that plus a launch pad with some optical beams in the back yard but that ain't going to happen. Sure would be a nice payback to the neighbor kid with 100lbs of subwoofers in is stinkin Corolla though :flaming:

Seriously, I downloaded software that works pretty well, maintains statistics and lets you enter delay parameters for how long it takes your car to break the beam once your feet start moving. However, I have no idea what that time delay will be in real life. I guess I will know after quite a few runs at the track.

Does anyone have an estimate of what that time constant should be from the time my foot begins releasing the clutch to the time my tire will break the beam?

I'm a newbie to this but if I understand correctly, the ET starts when the tire breaks the beam but you can have a perfect ET and still lose if too much time elapses between the Green light and the tire breaking the beam. So, the game is to get that tire to break the beam as close as possible, but after the green light. That total time delay is reaction time plus launch delay of the vehicle once you begin releasing the clutch.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
RalphP,

That's sort of how I understand it. The roll out and/or time delay you enter in the handheld practice trees allow you to account for the time it takes the car to respond to driver inputs, both electrically and mechanically. Ideally, you'd like to break the beams the instant the green light comes on, not after or before. If your car is an automatic and you're using a trans brake and you're running electronics (aka delay box), then you first get consistent with your reaction and launches, then enter a preset amount of time into the delay box. This way, you can activate the trans brake on the first yellow light and the delay box won't allow the car to launch until your estimated reaction time (plus time for 2nd & 3rd yellow lights) elapses.

My mechanic and I are ProStreeting my '03 S10 pickup front-to-back, ground-up and I'm still doing my homework on how to be competitive in bracket racing. I don't want to race my Z like the way I want to race on strip, so I'm building a dedicated truck. Drag racing is exciting, huh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts