Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just got in my 01' OEM 17in Z06 wheels from House of Wheels and they weigh 25.2 pounds a piece!?( I checked the scale's accuracy with a 25 pd weight)

I called bob at House of wheels and he said the normal weight of a 17 in Z06 wheel is 22 pounds(wasnt specific to 01 or 02 wheels)?

They are chromed so he said that would add the extra three pounds. Im disappointed! I was expecting a wheel weighing no more than 22 pounds.

Is the information floating around the site incorrect that says an 01 Z06 17 inch wheels weighs 19.6 and an 02 weighs 19.2?


On the back of the wheels it has the following on the back of the spokes.

"GM" logo
9593303
17x9.5 J54
USA RG G137
071300
F 6-15-00

Thanks For any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
02

I have an 02 and the back of the wheels say GM, Speedline, 17x9.5, and 7 digit number. It's difficult to read as I'm using a mirror and a flashlight to see. I believe the cast in characters "SPEEDLINE" define an 02 wheel. Maybe some other guy has more info. Hope this helps.

Chas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 01 Forged 17x9.5 19.6
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 01 Forged 18x10.5 21.4
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 01 - CCW skeletal mod Forged 17x9.5 17.8
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 01 - CCW skeletal mod Forged 18x10.5 19.8
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 02 Cast/Spun 17x9.5 19.2
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 02 Cast/Spun 18x10.5 21.0

excerpt from:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel22.shtml

Essentially you are coming into contact with the plethora of interesting information and how it can conflict with a lot of different aspects.

I am guessing you did the like for like "swap." In effect you got someone else's 01 forged wheels when you sent them your's to be chromed. So the good news is that you have forged 01 wheels underneath the chrome. The bad news is a good chrome job adds weight; unneeded and unnecessary for performance.

If you have so called "knock offs" or reproduction wheels, normally these are not "forged" products. I would hope if you did a "like" for like exchange that somehow you didnt get a knock off or reproduction set with out that specific knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
There is no way that chroming will add 3.2 lbs. of weight to each rim. Those rims had to weight more than 22 lbs. in the beginning. IMO with Chroming you would be lucky to add a pound of weight to each rim.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
809 Posts
They're probably repro wheels. That's probably why they weigh so much.

Sal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I appreciate all of the helpful responses and checking your wheels. I bought these wheels from House of Wheels.

This company is a guy that sells wheels on the corvette forum. When I called I told him I wanted OEM 17 inch Z06 wheels(for my camaro, no exchange). He said that he had a set that was chromed and specifically told me that it would cost me more for OEM rather than getting replicas. All he sells are corvette wheels, OEMs and Replicas, so I would hope he knows his stuff. He tells me that silver, 17 inch Alcoa Z06 wheels weigh 22 pounds. He said only the magnesium wheels are as light as 19 pounds.

I have included pictures of the back of the wheels. They have a GM stamp on the back, this site's listed part number for these wheels, a production date, a size and the offset. If these are replicas wouldnt the company making them be liable to get in alot of trouble for using the GM name and part # on look a like wheels?

As of right now I am led to think that these are OEM chrome wheels that way 25.2 pounds and that up until now even the silver wheel's weight has been lowballed?

( Again, I am sure this is how much the wheels weigh, I weighed these wheels on a digital scale, I checked the accuracy of the scale with a 25 pound weight)

Has anyone here actually weighed their 17inch OEM Z06 wheel without the tire?

Here are pictures of the back of spokes with stamps on them.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lrk322

Thanks Again for any help!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Any ideas on this?

Is it safe to assume, from now on, that 17 inch Alcoa Z06 wheels weight will be listed as 22 pounds a piece and the 18s about 24?

Unless anyone else has actually weighed their wheels on a scale with no tires on them... It looks as if the weight of 19.6 pounds that was previously listed was incorrect, or my wheels are replicas with a GM stamp and part number, which I dont think is the case.

Why would someone that sells vette wheels for a living risk his reputation by selling me replicas? I think its safe to say the wheels are a about 2.4 to 3 pounds pounds heavier than previously thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I would not assume that at all. I think you can more logically assume the ones that YOU have (the chromed ones) weigh what YOU say. The other thing is that unless you weighed it on a balance beamed scale that has a current certification, part of that error can be in the measuring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ruking1 said:
I would not assume that at all. I think you can more logically assume the ones that YOU have (the chromed ones) weight what YOU say. The other thing is that unless you weighed it on a balance beamed scale that has a current certification, part of that error can be in the measuring.
Its just a normal digital scale for weighing people, it weighs in tenths. I weighed a 25 pound weight and a 50 pound weight on the scale and they were dead on at 25.0 and 50.0 pounds. This is why I doubt the scale could possibly be wrong and that I may have OEM wheels that weigh 22 pounds minus the added chrome.

I have nothing to gain by reporting a false weight. I am not in search of a stand off, I'm actually asking for your guy's help to find the facts.

Im trying to see if Ive been ripped off or if the listed weight of 19.6 pounds on the audi site is wrong and that Zo6 wheels are actually 22 pounds, meaning Ive recieved OEM wheels, albeit heavier than I expected.

Here is what I have gathered so far:

1. I don't think they're replicas because my wheels have a GM stamp on them and the correct part #.

2. We can all agree that there is no way that chroming the front of the wheel has added 5.4 pounds.

3. The house of wheels owner sells corvette wheels for a living and he tells me OEMs17 Alcoas weigh 22 pounds.

4. Where is the physical proof (someone actually weighing them) That shows they weigh 19.6 pounds? So far their isnt any, only a website's listing.( If someone has a wheel to weigh that would help!)

5. I have personally seen physical proof that shows that the wheels weigh at least 22 pounds, minus a generous alotment of weight towards the chrome. Meaning, Im assuming 22 pounds of wheel weight, and 3.2 pounds for the chrome, equaling the 25.2 pounds that I saw on the scale.

-Lane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
We were all dealing with supposed weight of the wheel. I would hope they listed the weight of the wheel accurately, but it looks like they did not. If your wheels have the GM stampa nd the correct part number on them then I would say it is safe to ASSUME you are correct. They weigh more than 19 lbs. I hope someone will chime in here witht he weight of their wheels. These guys are sharp and they have their own lifts and all that GOOD stuff. Someone could take off their tire in 2 minutes , weigh it and put it back on the car in another 10. Dr.Bigg :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
lrk322 said:
I appreciate all of the helpful responses and checking your wheels. I bought these wheels from House of Wheels.

This company is a guy that sells wheels on the corvette forum. When I called I told him I wanted OEM 17 inch Z06 wheels(for my camaro, no exchange). He said that he had a set that was chromed and specifically told me that it would cost me more for OEM rather than getting replicas. All he sells are corvette wheels, OEMs and Replicas, so I would hope he knows his stuff. He tells me that silver, 17 inch Alcoa Z06 wheels weigh 22 pounds. He said only the magnesium wheels are as light as 19 pounds.

I have included pictures of the back of the wheels. They have a GM stamp on the back, this site's listed part number for these wheels, a production date, a size and the offset. If these are replicas wouldnt the company making them be liable to get in alot of trouble for using the GM name and part # on look a like wheels?

As of right now I am led to think that these are OEM chrome wheels that way 25.2 pounds and that up until now even the silver wheel's weight has been lowballed?

( Again, I am sure this is how much the wheels weigh, I weighed these wheels on a digital scale, I checked the accuracy of the scale with a 25 pound weight)

Has anyone here actually weighed their 17inch OEM Z06 wheel without the tire?

Here are pictures of the back of spokes with stamps on them.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lrk322

Thanks Again for any help!!
I have an '03 and I know the wheels are different, but the GM stamp in this picture looks suspect. Mine is recessed and cast into the wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I called the place that my seller, House of Wheels, got the wheels chromed at and they said that the chrome OEM wheels will weigh around 25 pounds. He said they sell replicas as well as OEM wheels. I asked if any of their replicas would have a GM stamp or part number and he said " No, because that would be illegal." The place the wheels were sent from is called Factory Reproductions Inc. and they're located in California.


If someone could look or take a picture of the back of their up to 01' alcoa wheels, then we will know. Do you guys see the same multiple stamps that I have, on the back of your wheels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Give me a break! :screwy: What is the big deal with a few extra pounds? Have lunch then drive your Z and you are right back where you started from, a few pounds heavier! :yeadog: I can't get over how much people complain about this 01/02 wheel weight thing. Truth be known, the 01 wheels are probably better because they are forged and not spin cast. I could see the drama if one were made of titanium and the other of lead but honestly, does it really matter? :ity:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
Give me a break! :screwy: What is the big deal with a few extra pounds? Have lunch then drive your Z and you are right back where you started from, a few pounds heavier! :yeadog: I can't get over how much people complain about this 01/02 wheel weight thing. Truth be known, the 01 wheels are probably better because they are forged and not spin cast. I could see the drama if one were made of titanium and the other of lead but honestly, does it really matter? :ity:
It's sprung weight. Chevrolet supposedly went to a lot of effort to reduce weight as much as possible to make the Z06 the best it could be. They weigh what they weigh, but I would think that 26 lbs. for a chromed wheel is a bit high.

Weight does matter to some of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
SGT. PYLE said:
Give me a break! What is the big deal with a few extra pounds? Have lunch then drive your Z and you are right back where you started from, a few pounds heavier! I can't get over how much people complain about this 01/02 wheel weight thing. Truth be known, the 01 wheels are probably better because they are forged and not spin cast. I could see the drama if one were made of titanium and the other of lead but honestly, does it really matter?
I would just assume if you spent the extra money for a Z06 over a regular vette that things like unsprung weight would be a big deal.



405HP_Z06 said:
It's sprung weight. Chevrolet supposedly went to a lot of effort to reduce weight as much as possible to make the Z06 the best it could be. They weigh what they weigh, but I would think that 26 lbs. for a chromed wheel is a bit high.

Weight does matter to some of us.
Thank you!

Unsprung weight is a big difference Sgt.Pyle, Ive read the posts that equate a few pounds per wheel of unsprung weight to the equivalant of a few hundred pounds at higher speeds. Besides Im not complaining that the wheels are heavy I just want a confirmation that what I believe is right. I wonder if anyone will chime in with a " I weighed my wheel, or the back of my alcoa looks the same..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
405HP_Z06 said:
...but the GM stamp in this picture looks suspect. Mine is recessed and cast into the wheel.
I agree. Your wheel does not look like any of the pics I've seen. It looks like someone re-branded them with a welder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
SRV said:
I agree. Your wheel does not look like any of the pics I've seen. It looks like someone re-branded them with a welder.
Yeah, those don't look authentic at all. I remove my wheels once a month to clean and can tell you that the markings are stamped into the wheel not engraved like your pictures show. Where did you get them?
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top