Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there are cars around running 750+ rwhp which cannot hook up street tires even in 5th. I sort of "get it" up to around 550 or 600 rwhp. But 800, 900, 1000? I don't get it any more.

I have to wonder: what's the point? Seems to me that power you cannot hook up is just wasted and costs you more $$ in tires. Maybe I could see it for a dedicated 1/4 mile car, but to me that has always seemed like a waste of the Z's talents as a well rounded track car. You don't need world class handling to go in a straight line :)

Maybe Chevy needs to sell an AWD Z to make it easier to hook up big power...

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
The point is not the power for the street. As you say, a lot of that is unusable exept on the highway. However all of it is usable at the strip! (Not on Dr's of course);

Mike

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
850 > 750 > 650 > 550 > stock

its a progression if your you can hook up any amount of HP eventually, thats when your tucking! Otherwise race cars would only have 400 hp :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
"I have to wonder: what's the point? Seems to me that power you cannot hook up is just wasted and costs you more $$ in tires. "

AMEN!!!!! :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

I cannot agree more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When my car was stock, I had trouble hooking up. It's more of a learning curve. Added hp has to be met with added experience. My car is probably 445 at the crank and I am starting to get bored. Time to move up. :D

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Why ask why...I say why not? :D

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
What's a matter with you Guys!! :lol:

Didn't you ever watch Tool Time

MORE POWER :jammin: :jammin:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, don't get me wrong: I'm all for lots of power.

I just think moderate power you can use beats big power you can't!

I see the point about the strip. Although I'd guess even there, 1st and 2nd wouldn't hook up too well?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Scoring with a set of triplets is pretty tough too, but that doesn't keep you from trying does it?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
novetteyet said:
Seems like there are cars around running 750+ rwhp which cannot hook up street tires even in 5th. I sort of "get it" up to around 550 or 600 rwhp. But 800, 900, 1000? I don't get it any more.

I have to wonder: what's the point? Seems to me that power you cannot hook up is just wasted and costs you more $$ in tires. Maybe I could see it for a dedicated 1/4 mile car, but to me that has always seemed like a waste of the Z's talents as a well rounded track car. You don't need world class handling to go in a straight line :)

Maybe Chevy needs to sell an AWD Z to make it easier to hook up big power...

What's the point?! You are not a man. Leave this forum now and purchase a skirt and a pair of pantyhose. Good God, I can not believe a MAN questioned the point of excessive hp.

When you cut a 1.2 60' and your head is pinned to the phucking seat then you'll realize the desire for 700+ hp.

·
Registered
878 Posts
i do think your right-its all relative-for daily driving i think there is sorta of a point of 'diminishing return...but to each his own-its funny when i was 20 power is everything ,at 30 power and room for the kids, 40 power and looks, at 50 power and mileage,and now just gettin in and out is a big deal :lol: :lol: :D

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
bud miller said:
i do think your right-its all relative-for daily driving i think there is sorta of a point of 'diminishing return...but to each his own-its funny when i was 20 power is everything ,at 30 power and room for the kids, 40 power and looks, at 50 power and mileage,and now just gettin in and out is a big deal :lol: :lol: :D
I hear ya Brutha ;) So do these old bones :yeadog:

Jack

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
I'm detuning my Vettes now as they go way faster than I need them to. Thanks for recalibrating my senses. ;)

That wing you are adding in Chicago will slow her down a little too. :jawdrop:

Bob :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
bud miller said:
Amen, Bud my exact feelings this morning. I'm waiting to have my right knee operated on, which is killing me and I must have pulled a back muscle using the snow blower last week with all the f####ng snow we have had this winter. If I get any more ailments I don't think i'll be able to get in my Z. Boy it is really tough getting old in body yet still young in mind. :cry:

·
Registered
653 Posts
unless you run your car at the strip..I see no point...unless you have money to throw around.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts