Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Corvette world as I bought myself a brand new 2001 Z06 last week.I am confused about all this air induction stuff.I have noticed there are two kinds....cold air and non-cold air.What are the benefits of each one.I have a general idea but don't know which one I want for my Z06.First off I have noticed there are basically two parts of the system....a new air bridge(duct)and a new filter box.The ones that I have heard of are Donaldson Blackwing,Vortex,Haltech.In the cold air type what are the chances of sucking in water to the engine.I live in Miami where it rains a lot during the summer.Is there a big difference in gains between the cold air and non-cold air?Sorry for the long post but I want to understand this before I do this.Still confused...please help.Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Welcome Gary!

I'm sure some of the guys will chime in on this subject... it is a hotly debated one /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I am waiting a bit on my'02 to decide which I want...

Good luck and enjoy your Z06! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
You've gotta go with an Haltech product.If your concerned about water then go with the sidewinder. I was driving in Atlanta on Fri. in one of the worst thunderstorms I had ever seen and I have an Haltech Tric bottom breather with the new condom and it gave me no problem at all.I disconnected my MAF just to check it out and there was no moisture there at all. You can feel the power difference as soon as you drive it the first time. Good luck any way you go!!SHOE

97 Mustang Cobra Conv.--475 rwhp with alot of goodies

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Everything that I have read over the last year on this subject has lead me to conclude that the filter replacement units have very marginal horsepower gains in and of themselves, if any at all.

The people who sell them like to crow about the big improvements, but actual users who have dynoed before, and immediately after report little if any hp gain.

Now if you plan a turbocharger intake, we are talikng about a horse of a different color. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

J

·
0 Posts
SMFCPACFP,
If you are characterizing systems such as the Haltech Tric or the Breathless Vortex as "filter replacements" you are flat wrong. There is plenty of data showing typical gains of 10-20 RWHP. The Vette Doctors (Amityville, NY) did a mod by mod dyno last winter and picked up 16 RWHP with their own design air filter mod. A recent showing of "Crank & Chrome" on Speedvision showed a standard C5 gain 21 RWHP with a K&N modification.

Electron blue Z06 born yesterday. NCM delivery 21 August. Traded nicely modded torch Z06.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Get the Blackwing. Its just as good a performer as the others but its cheaper, will not suck water and is probably the only one the majority of us can install by ourselves.

I had the Vortex on my C5 Coupe and it was great, but installing that was a major PITA. The Halltech one seems to be the one with the most water sucking complaints.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Vortex or Hall Tech will give you the most performance gain, both will make a big difference. In dyno testing you get no cold air gain because your sitting still, drive a car with a Vortex or Hall Tech on a cool night and you will not believe the difference. The Donaldson (Blackwing) is easy to install and gives good improvement, but it does suck warmer air in causing less hp gain. Hall Tech is a great looking unit (the best I think) but it hangs on the center spoiler not allowing it to move freely, that is a problem for me because I lower my car and in the east the driveways and the parking lot entrances would kill it, I have seen this on a few of my Zaino customers cars.

·
Registered
77 Posts

On 2001-08-01 12:37, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:
... Hall Tech is a great looking unit (the best I think) but it hangs on the center spoiler not allowing it to move freely, that is a problem for me because I lower my car and in the east the driveways and the parking lot entrances would kill it, I have seen this on a few of my Zaino customers cars.
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Wow, that's the first I've heard that. I know I hit my spoiler pulling in my drive all the time. Guess getting a Donaldson was a good idea after all.

ChrisG

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.I have decided to go with the Donaldson Blackwing.I have a couple of questions.I saw on the Corvette forum mall that there were two kinds of Donaldson Blackwing filters.One was for 00'C5's and 01' C5/Z06.Is there a difference in the two?Also is it worth it getiing a new air bridge(duct)? The two I am looking at are the LAPD Widemouth(cardon fiber) and one called the Z06 intake.Any opinions on these two?Thanks guys.

T

·
0 Posts

On 2001-08-01 12:37, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:
The Donaldson (Blackwing) is easy to install and gives good improvement, but it does suck warmer air in causing less hp gain
That is cured real easy by inclosing the airfilter, cutting the shroud so that the filter is only fowarding cooler outside air that is now being rammed through the filter.

I made my own cold air box around the Donaldson and the IAT went from 100 to 200 degrees to just about whatever the outside temps are and airlow increased such that the fuel trims were then 8 percent leaner showing how much improvement can be had if the airflow and it's temp is improved and then re-cal the fuel trims and O2 settings.

John

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I'm running with the Vortex System in my '01 Z06. Although I am very satisfied with my current system, I will be going with the Halltech Tric on my '02 Z. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I have used my Donaldson on my last 3 Vets, and have been pleased with it.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I'm running the Vortex and the West Coast Vette High Flow Air Duct and am VERY please.

In my opinion it the the WCC Duct is a better product the the BPP Power Duct. I installed the BPP on both Frank and SheylAnn's Z's and the fit of the coupler was terrible. Mine fit like a glove (Not the OJ Simpson glove). The WCC is also $100 cheaper /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Black Magic.......My two choices are the WCC Z06 air duct and the LAPD Widemouth(carbon fiber)$169 vs. $275.Besides one being carbon fiber do you think there is a difference.Thanks and a little less confused than before.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I saw on the Corvette forum mall that there were two kinds of Donaldson Blackwing filters.One was for 00'C5's and 01' C5/Z06.Is there a difference in the two?
The filters are the same. The difference is for the 01 you also get an rubber ring that goes between the Blackwing and the MAF. I guess it was shorter than the 1997 - 2000 models and the ring makes up the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
GARYZ06:

They appear to be the same other then one is CF and $$$.

LAPD and WCC are the same company I believe. At least they are very closely related.

George

J

·
0 Posts

On 2001-08-02 00:55, joecooool spewed forth this drivel:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD>Quote:</font><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR><TR><TD><BLOCKQUOTE><B>
I saw on the Corvette forum mall that there were two kinds of Donaldson Blackwing filters.One was for 00'C5's and 01' C5/Z06.Is there a difference in the two?
[/b]
-----------------------------------------

Unless the manufacturer put a 4 inch diameter inlet to filter I personally would not use the Blackwing. Why go from filter to 3.5 inch hole and then back to 4 inch maf.

Guys..imho...get the c/r motorsports unit/ the vortex/ or the Halltech..(PS..Carl..tons of guys with lowered cars run Halltech..lol)

If you have 4 inch maf unit on your zo6..which you all do..then don't use an airfilter like the LS6/blackwing until the unit is made with 4 inch outlet..

Don't use a coupler to get to 4 inchs. (if they made the blackwing with one 4 inch hole..then its a good unit for cold air cover too..

JMO..not a flame..

Also the air brigdes are for style ..not really power. Looks nice!

Cold air will decrease intake air temps by 30 degrees..every 10 degrees equals 1 percent in crease in power on the road..not dyno..3 percent increase by going cold air..equals an additional 11 hp..over dyno reports of aftermarket intakes.

Cold air rules..pick your poison..have fun..they are all great..
---------------------------------------------
The filters are the same. The difference is for the 01 you also get an rubber ring that goes between the Blackwing and the MAF. I guess it was shorter than the 1997 - 2000 models and the ring makes up the difference.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR></TABLE></B>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts