Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't have any oil spots on the driveway but I did notice oil residue mixed with dirt on the rear end. I am assuming it was from the factory fill since it is not dripping?

Or it could be the fact that it has became a garage queen since in live in Michigan I have a hard enough time getting around in my SUV with the roads being bad and under construction, the vette has been sitting for quite some time. Only put 1500 miles on it this year so far :crazy:

Feedback would be great :)

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I had the rear diff seal fixed under warranty once...and I just paid for it to be fixed again. Mine never dripped but, as you said...there was oil on the rear of the car. I'd put it on a lift and look for a leak. :yeadog:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Had minor seepage on my rear seals. Dealer replaced under warranty; problem solved. I'd get it done just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 12,000 mi on my 03 and had the seal on the left side of the pumpkin replaced at about 2500 mi. I noticed an oil spot on my floor recently and yes, it is leaking again. The dealership told me the first time that this was something they had seen many times. I talked to them again and they said that there is a redesigned 'flange' that is now being used to stop the leak. They said they will need to keep it for about a week. It is still under warranty, so I am taking it in next week.

·
Registered
168 Posts
you guys that get this repair done under warranty, how much time does GM spend on the repair? I thought it was like a 2 to 3 hour job max. My dealer is telling me its a $1000 fix (obviously, since my warranty is over!) So whats the deal with this fix?

·
21,355 Posts
If it's the left or right axel seal, it's easy to change yourself if you have experience working on cars. I did a DIY tutorial that you can read about here.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64945

The reason GM wants so much for the job is because they will basically drop the whole diff and replace all the seals at once, or at least that's what they charge for.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
You guys really need to find another way to title these "Rear end leaking" threads. It all sounds way too personal. :eyes: Maybe you should try "Axle seal leaking" or "Differential leaking", etc. ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cave Man said:
You guys really need to find another way to title these "Rear end leaking" threads. It all sounds way too personal. :eyes: Maybe you should try "Axle seal leaking" or "Differential leaking", etc. ;)
Only if you have a leaky rear end :NoNo:

If you cut down on the lube that should solve your issues :rofl:

·
Registered
671 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
you guys that get this repair done under warranty, how much time does GM spend on the repair? I thought it was like a 2 to 3 hour job max. My dealer is telling me its a $1000 fix (obviously, since my warranty is over!) So whats the deal with this fix?
As I recall they billed GM for about 6 hrs of labor and gave me a car rental for a day & a half. They test drove the car, then kept it inside the garage overnight and rechecked for leakage. So far so good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts