Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ran my car with the rear hood seal removed for a while now. It creates a cowl induction effect I guess. My question is, does it really do/help anything? Have anyone actually done any kind of test to see if it helps cooling or airflow?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Haven't seen anything, and it could go either way. Managing underhood airflow is a tricky thing.

The advantage of that type of induction is that it uses the high pressure area in front of the windshield, and that air is also somewhat less turbulent. But with the stock bottom-breather intake, it wouldn't seem to be much help unless there was an airflow problem in front of the intake. That would surprise me, and I suspect that's part of the reason for the screens.

It should cut the underhood temp, though, and that would help.

I haven't seen any posts on the subject, though, I'm just speculating. Be sure to post your experiences; it's always possible you've found something that people either haven't or that they're just not talking about. Racers are like that. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have been running without the rear hood seal for quite a while now. It does seem to help keep the front end planted a little better at speeds over 140mph, but I don't have any true analytical statistics.

The only problem I have noticed with this free mod is the heated engine air dumps into the cabin air intake while sitting still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts