Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

well, I noticed today, that there was a small spot of oil located under the rear axle (center left...driver side). I went under the car, and stuck my finger on the axle thing, and it was oil all right. Not a major leak, but it is wet.

My car doesn't have any warranty, i am at 21k miles. warranty expired in Jan 05.

I did a search, lots of cars on the board have had that seal replaced under warranty, there were a few TSB's on this, one guy even has a DIY section, but thats too complicated for myself.

So, how much is the rear seal job worth? I figure the seal isn't worth that much, but how much time required to replace is my conern.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I don't remember when I had mine done, but I do remember my mechanic bitching that it didn't pay much. My impression is that it booked at less than an hour.

I recently had to have the rear differential input seal on my Sierra PU replaced. It took about 10 minutes to do. A Corvette can't take *that* much longer.

Make sure they inspect the bearing surface of the half-shaft (the part that goes through the seal and into the differential). Mine was a little encrusted, and it needed some Scotch-Brite to clean it up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A good mechanic, I would think one hour, if he bleeds you two hours . Check out JUB JUB post http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64945 it's not that big a deal JMHO. Be happy it's not a pinion seal thats a few $$$$$ Good luck
Bob :cheers: :cheers:* EDIT* Talk to the dealer sometimes they will cover work under warranty if you are under 36 K as a customer service , IT HAPPENS from time to time

·
Registered
878 Posts
had a similiar deal happen-had run the z pretty hard ,got of frwy and went parked in my garage without any slow drivin..it will spit out about 'quarter" size leak of dif fluid on floor-i just had mine serviced and tech said they just underfill it a little and i haven't had a prob...said there was a TSB about overfill on some dif's from factory... :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I appear to have the same problem, though I have not checked it yet myself, and it isn't leaving a mark on the ground yet. The dealer noticed it, and quoted me $850. I am way outside the warrenty at 40k+ miles. They tell me the whole diff needs removed. Jub Jub's meathod is a lot better, I plan on doing it some time this summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts