Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my car the rear window defroster was broken.

It is the actual clip that is attached to the window that has broken, is there a simple way to fix this or is it going to be a pain?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Funny thing, this has happened in both of my Z's, I thought I was the only one. I just had it fixed in one. Depending on where the clip is broken the dealer may have to order the clip. (don't freak out at their first estimate that the rear window has to be replaced. I heard that both times and it didn't need it in either case) They just sodder the clip back on, in both cars it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
When I bought my 02 the first time I wiped the back window I barley touched the connection and it fell off ! They put a new back glass in under warranty !

Rob

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mine is also fell off... have yet to glue it back or solder. Anyone tried doing it themselves yet? No more warranty for me but I figure its a cheap repair.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I Looked At My Car On The Lot And Drove It, It Was Fine. I Asked The Salesman To Have It Detailed And He Said Great. I Should Have Not Asked. When I Got The Car Back ,i Did Not Pay Any Attention To The Back Window And A Week Later I Noticed The Back Clip Broken In Half. I Will Not Take It Into Gm For Anything So I Guess I Am Stuck With Fixing Myself. I Bought The Car New. O4 Tr Zo6.

·
Registered
620 Posts
This is an easy fix if what you are talking about is the clip separated from the glass.
I repaired mine in about 30 minutes, maybe less.
NAPA sells a repair kit for this. It costs about $8.
It is a type of glue that conducts electricity.
Just follow the instructions. Pretty simple. Mine has held for 2 years.
Dave

·
Registered
520 Posts
Great links - thank you!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for the info everybody! I figured I should go ahead and get this fixed before it gets cold and I actually need to use the rear window defroster!

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
injuner said:
When I bought my car the rear window defroster was broken.
It is the actual clip that is attached to the window that has broken, is there a simple way to fix this or is it going to be a pain?
If you need the defroster repair it! The rear window is a $2800 replacement bill outside of warrantee!! :eek:o: :eek:o:

Ken

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep. Many thanks for the info. Mine did this same thing the other day. Now have to fix it. Likely will use the epoxy fix, rather than solder. Soldering on metal backed by glass seems risky for me, and if said glass is $2800 to fix, I think the glue is for me.
--Yak

·
Registered
624 Posts
This just happened to me . . . sort of. My tab actually broke in two, with a piece of it still soldered to the glass. Thus, I need a new tab.

Does anyone have the p/n for the tab (2004)??

I tried looking trough a PDF I have with part nos, but couldn't find the tab.

·
Registered
624 Posts
OK, no need for P/N.

Here's what I did:

Unsoldered tab completely.

Soldered broken piece of tab back to tab. Now 10 X stronger than factory design. WTF was GM thinking?? What a POS??

Used Permatex kit to gue tab back to window. (In the GM service manual they state either solder new tab or use the Permatex kit.)

Seems to be holding up OK.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My tab just broke off. pissed me off bigtime, although I never use the rear window defroster as its not driven in the rain and such it just looks tacky hanging down unhooked. The flat tab is still on the window itself and looks like an easy quick solder job to connect the wire tab end back to the tab still on the glass.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't sweat it. With patience this is an easy fix!! You might want to unsolder the tab that is on the window already so that you can really heat it up without damaging anything when you solder the two pieces of the broken tab back together.

To remove the tab, you will need a fairly decent soldering gun.

Also buy the permatex kit to stick the old tab back up once repaired. Or, in the alternative, you can buy a new tab and solder it back up since GM rec. that you do not solder the old tab back up.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Mine actually broke in between the window tab and the plastic piece that holds other end of tab. I think I can solder it without messing with original window tab or having to get a new piece all together.

Its under warranty, but im hesitant to take the car in for anything unless absolutley necesarry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts