Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rubber strip that lines my rear windshield has become loosened at the joint, or the area where it curves down to the trunk. It is the "L" shape piece that seems to have come unglued; the rest of the rubber strip is still glued down correctly. I have noticed that water will get retained between this "L" shaped piece and the windshield.

1) Will this eventually cause the rear windshield to leak, or will the windshiled glue hold the water out indefinitely?

2) If it needs to be repaired, could I just pull up the rubber strip at the joint and inject some silicone in that area, or would I have to replace the entire piece? Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the rubber strip is cosmetic. I just lost the front rubber strip on the top of my windshield while on a high speed pass. When I got home I washed the car to remove the glue from the roof and saw no leaks. If the adhesive forms a continuous bead around the glass, there should be no leaks. I will ask the glass shop Monday and see what they think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks virtualmiller;
If the rubber strip is only cosmetic, it would then not be 'waterproofed' during installation at the factory. The windshield glue, I guess, would have to provide the waterproofing. Please let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot about this post. The strip is cosmetic only. The concern that the glass shop had was that it would only get worse. That is, it will likely continue to lift and the strip will eventually come off. They suggested that you take it to a local glass shop and have it re-glued.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Mine is coming loose also. :mad:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My whole rear strip (lower edge along the trunk) is loose but have not noticed any leaks. I'll mention it to my service advisor when I go to pick up the license plate screws and see what he has to say.

If I have one more leak with this thing... :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts