Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've just registered onto this forum and am a proud new owner of a 01 Z06. This is by far the fastest car I've ever owned (and I've owned many). However, I have a question and was wondering if you all could please give me some input?

I run at a local road coarse occasionally (Summit Point) and want to upgrade my brakes to a 14-inch rotor and brembo package. I was told that I need larger front wheels to clear the new brakes. Instead of forking out big bucks for a new set of wheels, will stock rear wheels fit in the front of the car? I figure a used set of stock rear wheels will cost much less than a new set of HRE's. Any insight will be greatly appeciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes they fit fine. Don't know about the brake clearance, sometimes you need a spacer of approx 1/4" on top of the extra diameter. They do not look like they stick out as with the tires they just continue the line of the fender. It looks very agressive, seams to reduce the understeer a bit on the tighter corners as well. I have run the same size tires all around with no issues yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
that sounds like a plan. what is the wideset tire that you can run if you move a set of rear wheels up to the front? i am about to put the 315/30/18's on the rear, and everyone has said that even with the lowering kit and sway bars i will not have any clearance probs... but what about the frt lowered with the larger rears tires up there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Z06Machine said:
Yes they fit fine. Don't know about the brake clearance, sometimes you need a spacer of approx 1/4" on top of the extra diameter. They do not look like they stick out as with the tires they just continue the line of the fender. It looks very agressive, seams to reduce the understeer a bit on the tighter corners as well. I have run the same size tires all around with no issues yet.
what is the largest frt tire you can run when you put a set of rears up there and the car is lowered???

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Friend of mine has 295/30 18s on the front but it's real tight.
295/35s will rub.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FRC Tom said:
Friend of mine has 295/30 18s on the front but it's real tight.
295/35s will rub.
is he running them on stock rear rims up frt or aftermarket? when u say tight, does it rub on hard turns or require a neg camber perf alignment?

i am going to search the rack for tires made in that size, with my luck it will not be the same brand as the 315/30/18's...

is his lowered? i do have a lowering kit coming...

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Stock 18" rears up front and he is lowered.
He tracks the car at Sebring so he's not rubbing.
He runs 18x12 rims on the rear with 335/30s.
I just saw the car tonight over at Antivenom's, getting a big nasty cam in it. Sounds real mean.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FRC Tom said:
Stock 18" rears up front and he is lowered.
He tracks the car at Sebring so he's not rubbing.
He runs 18x12 rims on the rear with 335/30s.
I just saw the car tonight over at Antivenom's, getting a big nasty cam in it. Sounds real mean.
thanks for the info, i may try it. i have seen 335/30's on the back and they looked wicked, one person on the forum said he bought his Z with that size already on the stock 10.5 rear rims and he has had no probs even though the rack says to use 11" rim or wider, but CCW told me that if i go with their 505A rims and 335's on the back i have to remove the rear brake cooling ducts... good thing i still have a little life left on this set so i will have time to pick the right sizes and fit. i am going to look up the diameter of the 295/30/18 frts vs the 315/30/18 rears to be sure to avoid that computer prob mentioned when the frt dia is larger than the rear. do you know the brand of tire he found?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The problem using 335s on a 10.5" rim is it squeezes the tire in on the sides and arches the tire on the surface.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FRC Tom said:
The problem using 335s on a 10.5" rim is it squeezes the tire in on the sides and arches the tire on the surface.
i have seen that done on a few cars when some one did not want to upgrade to wider rims. u could see that the whole tread was not making it's intended footprint...

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
RSG Racing jumped right in to your thread. :sneaky:
Unless you've spent some time searching threads here, suggest you check DJWorm's posts on your question.
Also, unless you're flush with bucks for brakes ... your course of action should consider whether you're going to be doing competitive events within sanctioning body rules ... whomever you run with ... as modifications will reclass you. You can do quite a bit to improve the performance of stock brakes ... also many threads on that. :idea:
Who do you run with at Summit?
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
DennyM said:
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
RSG Racing jumped right in to your thread. :sneaky:
:bang: oops sorry ckchan10, did not mean to run away on your post. welcome! just thought u might also need to find tires to go on the front rims when you move the rears up there, you can't run the 17's anymore, and can't let the dia be larger than the rear, and i am also interested in running wider tires frt and rear... if you already have the brakes, or the manuf tells you the room needed to support them, you could always measure your rear rim clearance. if they will fit the brakes, at least now you know that you can put a set up frt and what size tire to use to keep from mucking up the car's computer. if not, ccw prob makes a set of wheels and can tell you if the brake set you like will fit, the 505A is a nice one.
http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

·
Registered
308 Posts
HOw do you get away from the computer sensing the different wheel diameter.
Me thinks that if you go to larger tires and wheels the ratio must be maintained in order to keep the computer sensing a slip situation and putting on a brake or shutting off the fuel.
Do you go to comp mode or just turn off the active handling?

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
computer battle

JDBgn said:
HOw do you get away from the computer sensing the different wheel diameter.
Me thinks that if you go to larger tires and wheels the ratio must be maintained in order to keep the computer sensing a slip situation and putting on a brake or shutting off the fuel.
Do you go to comp mode or just turn off the active handling?
well, i know the pred programmer allows you to modify tire and gear changes

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=2.13.3548

and was told on line the as long as the frt tire dia does not exceed the rear, the computer will work, but have not tested that yet. when i do, i will have a pred ready to order if the car fights the changes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts