Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM has what is lovingly referred to as "cookbooks".

Essentially it is a manual with suggested tricks and tips for wringing the most from an engine or chassis. Why not something similar, if not better, for just us hardcore billy bobs?

What is your recipe for getting the best from your FRC? IOW, what mods or tweaks have delivered the goods and what has let you down? This is where the rubber meets the road folks. Dyno results are fine, but better still, what put a smile on your face and numbers on the board, or even a bumper on the other car in a tight contest... let's hear it.
Share the tricks that made your hardtop even more YOUR hardtop. We want to know what you got and how it works. Tell me how you'd spend my hard earned if it were yours.

1fastdog

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1fastdog (edited 01-24-2001).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tom, I _love_ that air dam! Is it difficult to keep it from getting scraped up on curbs and stuff?

------------------

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZO6__01:
Tom, I _love_ that air dam! Is it difficult to keep it from getting scraped up on curbs and stuff?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ZO6__01,
The only problem I have had is my own drive way.

------------------
Tom
Quicksilver/Red Z06
Corsa Indy, B&M Ripper, Corvette Concepts Ram Air Induction

www.c5frc.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 2 BEST things that happened to the Hardtop were:

1. Steve Cole's Powerloader
2. Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP RFT's

Regarding that Powerloader this is a MUST have for you Z06 guys!!! When it is available get it!!!

Are you listening Frank???

------------------
Todd
99 C5 Hardtop
Mokena, IL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAL:
The 2 BEST things that happened to the Hardtop were:

1. Steve Cole's Powerloader
2. Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP RFT's

Regarding that Powerloader this is a MUST have for you Z06 guys!!! When it is available get it!!!

Are you listening Frank???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you elaborate on your experience with both mods?

1fastdog 2k-FRC

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
I read the title to this thread and thought ...I've got some recipes!!

I have a book on how to cook a full course meal on the manifold of your car!!
The 2.8L V6 works best.

Sorry!!

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
1fastdog;

The Powerloader is from Steve Cole at TTS Power Systems, Inc.

The Powerloader basically 'wakes up' a stock car. Throttle response is much improved. The fans come on at a lower temp. No more 230 degree temps. The CAGS is history along with the '1-4' shift light on the dash.

The real improvement comes in the form of torque at low RPM. It happeneds at a low 1000-2000 RPM. The rev limiter is bumped up to 6400RPM and you use every bit of it.

People will ask for dyno nuumber for this. Most dyno operators start the pull at 2k-3k and miss most of the power increase the Powerloader has to offer. It just doesn't do justice for this. It's very similar to the Jim Hall Tric intake. You need to drive it to feel it.

This mod I think is a great all-around drivability issue. Not only will you benefit from the dragstrip but on the street as well.

As for the Firestone tires all I can say is you can get GREAT performance from a run flat tire. I would have to say these could rate near the Michilin Pilots in terms of performance going from what others say. It is excellent in the rain, too. Don't drive these tires in the winter, though. I pulled out of my garage and went promptly into the nearest snowbank.

The Firestones are what you call you can have your cake and eat it!

Here are the list of mods for my Hardtop:

Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP RFT tires, TTS Power Systems Power Loader II, Granatelli MAF, Kirban Kwik shifter, Lloyd cargo mat, Donaldson LS900 air filter, C5 Solutions Column Lock Bypass Module, Uniden LRD 6100SWS radar detector, Amsoil synthetics, Zaino Bros' Car Care Polish Products, Red Line WaterWetter, cutout air deflectors

------------------
Todd
99 C5 Hardtop
Mokena, IL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TAL!

The additional explanation gives me a better feel for what you got from what you bought.

1fastdog-2K FRC

------------------

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Donaldson Ram Air, Modified MAS, 75 mm Throttle Body, 178 Thermostat, Vinci Fan Controller,Beru Plugs, Plug Wires, VHP Underdrive Pulley System, TPIS Heads,TPIS StageII Cam, Reprogrammed Computer, TPIS Headers, West Coast X pipes, Corsa Indys, Mallet 396 18" Wheels, Nitto Extreme ZR Tires, B&M Ripper

FRCYA
Tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great idea dog. I asked JC if he could add a product review section when he was asking for suggestions last week.

I like the way that they do it over at audioreview.com. They have a thread for each product, grouped by type and manufacturer, and then people post their personal reviews of the products and a rating 0-5 stars. They average out the scores over all the posts, so they are less likely to be biased.

I'd love to see something like this here. Then we would all have a reference when we want to mod.

------------------
2001 Z06, Tag "EVIL Z06"
Torch red, solid black interior
!CAGS !BSM
NGK TR6 plugs & Taylor wires
Halltech Z06 TRIC + MAG
NX 150hp Wet Kit

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fcalmes:
Evil,

That is a very interesting idea you have. I like it!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be nice to see some opinions from folks that layed down their hard earned cash looking for something that will deliver what they expect. I would think such a resource would help others. Word of mouth is the strongest form of advertising, be nice if folks would be willing to talk up or down whatever they bought.

------------------
1fastdog 2K FRC
[email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dog my friend,

I have the Vortex Rammer and Power Duct on both my Zs. They really woke the car up. I'm very happy with the results....BUT, if I had it to do over again, I would have bought the Corvette Concepts Intake. Like others, I worry about water ingestion. What I really liked about the CC intake was they had a dam that redirected water in case any water might make it to the intake area. That intake would give me a lot of peace of mind. They also use a redesigned filter that made very good sense to me.

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fcalmes:
Dog,

Like I said earlier, I thought you were looking for this book!! LMAO

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO!