Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I buy some replacement rotors that will not rust and will not cost me a small fortune?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Napa auto parts or Rock auto. Stock replacements, made in U.S. or Canada...about $22-24 each.

Cast iron rotor surfaces are going to oxidize with moisture on a sitting car...no way to get around it, it just is cleaned off as soon as you use the brakes again

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
All iron based rotors will rust wether cast iron or gray iron as most rotors are.

You can reduce the corrosion by zinc plating or coating the rotor hubs.

Be aware that zinc plating the face of the rotor will decrease the braking effectiviness and will increase stopping distance.

Coatings may also reduce heat dissipation. You can try painting, but even high temp paint will be vaporized especially on the front rotors of tracked cars. Paint also decreases heat dissipation.

There are heat release coatings that can be applied to the interior vanes and heat barrier coatings for the hubs that will decrease corrosion but do nothing to prevent rust on the rotor face. (It is OK to use a heat barrier coating on the hub surfaces if you also use a heat release coating on the interior vanes to increase cooling.)

A car garaged in a constant temperature environment with a dehumidifier will have less rust. One that is parked outside and or sees temperature changes will see more rust on the rotors due to condensation.

The easy way to prevent rust on the rotor face is by once a day use.

Otherwise there are more expensive solutiions by using non-Ferrous rotors such as Titanium or Carbon/Ceramic or Carbon/Carbon.

BTW the OEM rotors do have a black coating on the hub surfaces.

·
Registered
68 Posts
tigerdrvr said:
Napa auto parts or Rock auto. Stock replacements, made in U.S. or Canada...about $22-24 each.

Cast iron rotor surfaces are going to oxidize with moisture on a sitting car...no way to get around it, it just is cleaned off as soon as you use the brakes again
:thumb: a quick coat of paint will help some, but it won't last that long at the track.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJWorm said:
BTW the OEM rotors do have a black coating on the hub surfaces.
The black coating burns off at track temps.

I ordered some new rotors from Rock Auto on Thursday and I received them on Saturday! Total price on four Raybestos rotors including shipping is $110.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Bob said:
The black coating burns off at track temps.

I ordered some new rotors from Rock Auto on Thursday and I received them on Saturday! Total price on four Raybestos rotors including shipping is $110.

Better than paying over $50 or more per rotor at any dealer!! :yeadog:

I used the flat black HiTemp spray paint. Made a template from newspaper and gave the hats a couple coats. Paint dries very fast. Mine didn't wear off up to the day of unhappiness...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts