Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my understanding is that the engine will detect and handle lower octane fuels.

In CA, premium is hitting about $3 a gallon, with regular running a good 30 to 50 cents lower. That's roughly $4 a fill, and about $10 a month, $120 a year. That's 4 -5 sleeves of NXT Tours, or extra rounds of golf.

Now - certainly, if I am going to race or mash the gas, I'll want that premium in there.

But do i NEED premium? Will I damage anything with regular? If it's just a question of 20 lost HP, most situations, driving in traffic etc.. I really don't care.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The owners manual for Corvettes has stated for years you can use regular unleaded fuel and will only see a slight decrease in performance. If you don't race it then there is no need to use premium, you won't damage anything.

Most cars have knock sensors to adjust the timing when using lower grade fuel. So this is not new technology.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
120.00 a year is only 30 CENTS a day :p

·
Registered
806 Posts
$1.00 a gallon or $5.00 a gallon, I will have the Premium! :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
the only reason I would go to regular is if that is all that is manufactured....

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If you're worried about saving $10 a month, don't skrimp on the Z! :-? Just practice more so you go through fewer golf balls. :eek: The Z is for performance.....otherwise, get a hybrid. :rofl:

Bob :D

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I ALWAYS put premium in my car. The day I worry about saving $120 a year on gas is the day I start riding the bus. Why would you even think of putting anything less in your. It makes me mad that the highest I can get around here is 91 octane. I wouldn't dream of anything less.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Always run Premium in the Z and the Harley. :yeadog:

In the Escalade -- regular will do as my driving is in traffic with no fun factors involved. :p

Unless your just using the Vette as a commuter, don't think that you would want "less" or "restricted" performance? :D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
z06_23_45 said:
Why would you even think of putting anything less in your.

Because it doesn't hurt anything and you will most likely never know the difference....unless you race it. Most regular unleaded fuels of today, have the same detergents that only premium fuels of the past had.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
z06_23_45 ,

Why would I put regular in instead of premium?

Because I don't need the difference most of the time. And because I CHOOSE to put that $120 a year into someone elses pocket rather than the Gas companies.

Because I CHOOSE to use regular when I commute instead of just wasting the expense on 5% throttle.

Your insinuation of superiority is insulting, and superflous to this conversation. If I took your meaning wrong, or your tone of voice wrong - forgive me. Your response is inflamatory.

My question is- using regular won't harm the car. And I was looking for intelligent conversation like I have so often found on this forum.

Now - just to compare Dick sizes. When I go racing, I put in $4/gallon racing fuel. There - ya happy?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Now - just to compare Dick sizes. When I go racing, I put in $4/gallon racing fuel. There - ya happy?[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, that's funny! :yeadog:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It shouldn't hurt the engine especially in the colder months of the year, but to help save at least little more money, I would suggest mid grade octane - like 89 - and try mixing in a few gallons of 91 especially when the weather becomes warmer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Z has a high compression engine. The owners manual calls for premium fuel. Knock can cause a lot of problems! scorched piston, burnt pistons, blow-en head gasket, ETC.

That is a lot to risk for a dollar or two per tankful!

I know that there are sensors, But I don't thing it is worth the risk!

·
Registered
46 Posts
50k performance automobile, save a few bucks on a tankful of gasoline putting in regular? I don't throw money away, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at nite knowing my pride and joy is drinking the cheap stuff. :guiness:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Back to reality. I have been running mid-grade since I got the beast and it is my daily driver. With Regular, power will be down a bit--but if you don't need max power, don't worry about it. Since the mid 80's and the advent of fuel injection, all gas has basically the same additives package to keep the fuel systems clean--contrary to some advertising you see. Enjoy the car--that's what counts!!!!!!!!!! :jammin:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know, I know 30 cents a day really isn't that much. But It just steams me that we're paying record gas prices, and the gas companies are making record profits. And, no-one can proove price gouging. I am sorry, but gasoline is a monopoly for the most part. We've been nailed for energy, we've been nailed for gas, we're getting screwed for almost every cost. And, if I can keep 30 cents a day out of their pockets, it just well, makes me feel a bit better. And if I get an extra two rounds of golf, well, that just makes it a bit sweeter.

I know, probably doesn't matter at all. But, it does make me feel like I am making my own statement.

Kevin

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone read that internet article about boycotting ExxonMobile? As you probably guessed, I like it. Rather than skip a day of fueling, which was kind of inefective. I like the fact that by reducing demand at one of the major brands, we will force them to start dropping prices.
If we can, as a nation, boycott their product for long enough, we could have a real effect on them. But getting enough people to pay attention, would be the catch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When gas prices went up, I just started carpooling. No need to worry about saving 00.30 a day when im saving 35.00 a week. The money savings will obviously go in reverse for you if the car is damaged. I tried running the cheap stuff in my ls1 ws6 when phoenix had a local gas crisis last year, and lets just say I ran into some problems.

Just my .02

1 - 20 of 31 Posts