Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder to check your Z06 vacuum (aka. radiator shroud) for debris collection.

I usually do mine every oil change. Today I noticed an excess of grass clippings. I use a shop vac to remove all the crap that makes it way under the radiator.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Good idea. I recently checked mine during an alignment. Lots of "stuff" up near the top. Was actually able to get my arm up there and clean it out. Thankgoodness we don't have the winter leaf issues down here. :eek:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
This is something I have to do every month. Our German Sheppard drops his hair constantly and it is light enough the vette just vacuums it up..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just cleaned mine out the other day with a bristle brush. It took about 30 minutes -I will try using a shop vac next time like you guys do. I found tons of pine straw and a few cigarette butts.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You need to get one of those Radiator Shields that screws on under the front nose and keeps all the road debris from invading the underside of your Z! The $60 cost is well worth keeping your radiator clean. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
100 degrees outside today..

Around town after maybe 20 minutes? the cars running 230 degrees up to 250 degrees coolant..

is this normal?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same here, yesterday looked under front end and top side of radiator had 2 inches of crap, used hand and air line to clear out. Add to cleaning procedure. On another note, can't believe how much brake dust builds up in 400 miles of hiway. Did notice the front brake ducts work due to bees and dragon flies stuck to inside of rim! Nice to see something applied to the exterior that is functional.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
KevinG said:
Just a friendly reminder to check your Z06 vacuum (aka. radiator shroud) for debris collection.

I usually do mine every oil change. Today I noticed an excess of grass clippings. I use a shop vac to remove all the crap that makes it way under the radiator.
Pretty hard to do when you have an intercooler and air cleaner in front of it. :rofl:

Seriously, I did this today. Thanks for the reminder. :yeadog:

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a radiator shield? I'm assuming that it's one of those screens that ZO6ers put in the body molding.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
kechen22 said:
Does anyone know where to get a radiator shield? I'm assuming that it's one of those screens that ZO6ers put in the body molding.
I sent you a PM with the information as they are not a supporting vendor. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
881 Posts
kechen22 said:
Just a heads up that putting a screen in front will reduce the air flow - I'm not sure how much but I think it will be significant.

Thanks for the reminder. I will clean mine soon. I know what I will find. Dog hair (my two shedding mutts stay in the garage while we are at work/school) and cigarette butts. The cigarettes piss me off since they are the ones that some smokers throw out their windows......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started noticing a steady increase in my Z06's operating temperature over the last 6-8 months. Also, my air conditioning would start blowing warmer air while stopped in traffic. When it got up to around 230-235 degrees I started to get concerned. I live in south Texas and the temperature hovers around 100-104 this time of year. Anyway, during the 4th of July weekend I decided to remove the electric cooling fans and use my garage air compressor to blow out the crap clogging my a/c radiator and coolant radiator. Man, did I blow out about 10 lbs. of dirt, rocks, grass, paper, etc. After 3 days of driving around town in 100-104 degree weather, my temp has not gone above 207 degrees and my my a/c does not blow warmer air while stopped in traffic. Honestly, I am still a bit shocked at how much my operating temp dropped. Oh, I have approximately 27,500 miles on my 2002 Z06. I highly recommend doing this if your car is starting to run hot.

Here are my suggestions to make your removal of the fans easier than it was for me. You will need to remove the following before you can get the fans off: the air duct, top radiator cover, and electrical connections. I didn't disconnect any of the hoses and that is why I had a heck of a time removing the fans. If you disconnect the lower passenger-side radiator hose then you will not have very much trouble removing the fans. I removed and returned the fans from underneath. Keep in mind that I did this fix by myself and I imagine it would have gone faster with an extra pair of hands. Anyway, once you remove and disconnect everything, you will need to push the fans up to dislodge them from 4 holding clips. After that, you should be able to move the radiators forward about 1-2 inches. This will give you enough space to push the fans forward and past the sway bar. Once the fans are removed, you have complete access to the rear radiator (you have clear access to the front radiator without removing anything). You will notice that there is about a 1-inch space between the radiators. I couldn't get in between the radiators, but really didn't need to. I used enough air pressure that I was able to blow air through both radiators at the same time. I cleaned the radiators from the engine forward first, then from the front towards the engine second. Be sure to wear a head cover and safety glasses because you will blow a lot of dust, pebbles, grass, etc. from the radiators. When I finished, I had so much dirt/pebbles on me that it looked like I had been sandblasting. I hope these suggestions were clear enough to follow and helpful.

For those of you that want to do this "fix" and skip the removal of the fans, I found a tool at "www.northerntool.com". Type "air blow gun" as a search and you will see a metal hose with a rubber tip that looks like it will fit between the radiator and condensor. I wish I knew about this attachment before I did my fix. If anyone does this, let us know if your operating temps fall by as much as mine did. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
ValleyZ06 said:
I started noticing a steady increase in my Z06's operating temperature over the last 6-8 months. Also, my air conditioning would start blowing warmer air while stopped in traffic. When it got up to around 230-235 degrees I started to get concerned. I live in south Texas and the temperature hovers around 100-104 this time of year. Anyway, during the 4th of July weekend I decided to remove the electric cooling fans and use my garage air compressor to blow out the crap clogging my a/c radiator and coolant radiator. Man, did I blow out about 10 lbs. of dirt, rocks, grass, paper, etc. After 3 days of driving around town in 100-104 degree weather, my temp has not gone above 207 degrees and my my a/c does not blow warmer air while stopped in traffic. Honestly, I am still a bit shocked at how much my operating temp dropped. Oh, I have approximately 27,500 miles on my 2002 Z06. I highly recommend doing this if your car is starting to run hot.

Here are my suggestions to make your removal of the fans easier than it was for me. You will need to remove the following before you can get the fans off: the air duct, top radiator cover, and electrical connections. I didn't disconnect any of the hoses and that is why I had a heck of a time removing the fans. If you disconnect the lower passenger-side radiator hose then you will not have very much trouble removing the fans. I removed and returned the fans from underneath. Keep in mind that I did this fix by myself and I imagine it would have gone faster with an extra pair of hands. Anyway, once you remove and disconnect everything, you will need to push the fans up to dislodge them from 4 holding clips. After that, you should be able to move the radiators forward about 1-2 inches. This will give you enough space to push the fans forward and past the sway bar. Once the fans are removed, you have complete access to the rear radiator (you have clear access to the front radiator without removing anything). You will notice that there is about a 1-inch space between the radiators. I couldn't get in between the radiators, but really didn't need to. I used enough air pressure that I was able to blow air through both radiators at the same time. I cleaned the radiators from the engine forward first, then from the front towards the engine second. Be sure to wear a head cover and safety glasses because you will blow a lot of dust, pebbles, grass, etc. from the radiators. When I finished, I had so much dirt/pebbles on me that it looked like I had been sandblasting. I hope these suggestions were clear enough to follow and helpful.

For those of you that want to do this "fix" and skip the removal of the fans, I found a tool at "www.northerntool.com". Type "air blow gun" as a search and you will see a metal hose with a rubber tip that looks like it will fit between the radiator and condensor. I wish I knew about this attachment before I did my fix. If anyone does this, let us know if your operating temps fall by as much as mine did. Good luck and have fun!
Great write up Hector. :yeadog:
You should have given me a call so I could have joined in on the "fun." :p :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Robert,

I had orginally planned on only cleaning the front radiator, but then decided to take the fans off. I sure could have used your help. I will keep you in mind the next time I take on a similar task.

By the way, how are your headers/exhaust working out? Notice much of a difference? Did you get a tune as well? That is going to be my next mod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts