Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the hinged cover over the ash tray area n front of the shifter? I need to replace mine, (it got marred removing a Z06 emblem). Will I need to remove the center console trim? It appears to be supported by hinges on both sides, but I can not see clearly how to dis-assemble it.

Thanks for any help. - Scruffy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Scruffy:

When I bought my '02 this past August the ash tray door had some glue on it. I complained to the salesrep before I took the car off the lot. He said no problem. He had me drive the car to the garage bay and he went in back and got a can of solvent. He said this will remove it. :mah: It did but it took the paint off too !. So since he did it he had to fix it. What I learned (and my info to you) is that you can not just replace the ash tray door. The whole thing comes as one unit. The door, the bezel around the door and part of the console.
I will check the work order slip when I get home and post the part number.

trebor

·
Registered
475 Posts
Door

I replaced the ashtray door while I had my center console off. I don't know if you can replace the ashtray door with the center console mounted. I had my center console off while installing a Hurst. The door is held in place with 2 small plastic, collet-like pin on each side of the door. The collet acts exactly like a machine collet. It contracts as you are pulling it out; and re-expands once installed. There is also a small torsion spring that needs to be mounted. I used needle nose pliers to remove and install. You can purchase the door separately but it also comes with a new ashtray, about 20.00. Hope this helps.

Chas.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I'm not sure if it's bad enough to do anything about it, (did the same thing removing adhesive and ended up with a worse looking spot) but at least I know how to fix it if I want to :cheers: .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts