Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day at ThunderHill Raceway I was in the paddock about to go on track and started the '02 Z06. The DIC displayed "Remove Key, Wait 10 Seconds." So I turned the car off and it displayed it again for about 2 seconds. I then waited a bit and started the car up again. Everything was fine from then on. Anybody know what this was from? Or what it does?

BTW, in a mostly stock '02 Z06 I ran a couple 2:10 lap times at ThunderHill. The CMC (Camaro Mustang Challange) cars run 2:08 on spec Toyo's. Another C5 driver said that Road and Track or some magazine had a professional driver with an '01 Z06 at ThunderHill a few months back and ran a 2:08 there.

Mods to my '02 Z06 so far are, DRM front brake ducts, Russel stainless steel braided brake lines, Motul 600 fluid (which gets boiled by at least half day), stock pads, stock F1SC tires (41 front 38 rear and wearing EXACTLY to the little arrows), Haltech TRIC, 160 thermo, NGK plugs, GMPP wires.

I've been there two days in this '02 Z06 so far and both days I got Trans Temp Overheat (or whatever it says.) First time it was 277* and the second time it was 271*. I sure wish we could choose that guage on the DIC :/ For the most part I was keeping the car in 3d gear and just coasting down the straights (why punish the brakes) but when I was shifting between 2nd, 3d and 4th the tranny never got hot... I'm going to put some REDLINE D4 ATF in there and see if it helps.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Congrats on the impressive runs!! :cool:

I have had the "Pull Key and Wait 10 Sec." happen to me a couple of times. I cleaned the contacts on the little resistor located on the key and everything was fine after that. You might want to try that. :)

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Transmission cooler

You might want to install one . GM sells one for the ZO6s. Should be able to run all day without over heating the trans with that add on unit. One of the magazines I subscribe to showed how to install it. I am sure it comes with instructions though. Nice times:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those Camaros and Mustangs must be pretty well modified to turn 2:08's on street tires, although i wonder of the Toyo's are shaved like for the Speedvision GT.

A 2:10 on full tread street tires is a great time. The reference to the 2:08 in the magazine test was a Road and Track issue that had Steve Millen drive several sports cars at T-hill. The fastest car in the test was a 360 Modena which was marginally faster then the 01 Z06.

Another good reference time at Thunderhill is Viper Days. The winning Stock II entry (street tires with brake pad/fluid upgrades only) was in the 2:07's.

Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
ZO sic,

Your lap times are definately good. I forgot to mention that I had a Rich's camcorder mounted and ?may? have you on Hi-8 8mm tape:) I have yet to review the footage in its entirety and may be able to get my hands on the tape later.

As you already know GM sells the cooler and lines over the counter. If you need parts in the Bay Area I have have a friend that works at a local GM dealer that could help you out. Unfortunately, will not be able to defeat the added tax that other internet sources can beat.

I replaced my stock tranny fluid twice. Ultimately filling up with Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid. The stock tranny fluid was like water when I drained it:( I also had a dic display high tranny temps, but not at the last outing at Thill since I changed to the new fluid. :cheers:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys...

fcalmes:

Well the car started up fine and was idling nicely when the "pull key, wait 10 seconds" lit up. So I'm thinking the VATS on the key was fine. I dunno. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sanford:

I've heard the GM tranny cooler is about $750-$900 and will void the warranty on the tranny. :/ Not good in my book. I'm also heard that it isn't the best kit. There is no filter provided for the pump so once you get some metel from the tranny in the pump it ruins it. And the way they have you wire it if you get the tranny warm and stop for lunch or gas, the pump keeps pumping/whirring. I guess they should have you tap in power with a switched source, not just Batt power.

Jhodel:

The Camaro's and Mustang's are full on race cars with rollcages, big brakes, totally done suspensions, stripped weight etc. But they are limited to about 230 rwhp and I think 290 ft lbs. They run on Toyo RR tires. They are a treaded tire, but stick like glue. And yes, they are shaved, except their rain tires. :)

Zed_six (Chris)

This time out I was punishing the brakes too. I was downshifting to second a couple times and taking it well into fourth. NormallyI get to the top of 3d and just coast there and then brake. This time I hit 128 down the front straight (no chicane) in 4th gear. I need to get a harness bar and some harnesses and a camera and a lap timer now. I would do a full on 5 point roll bar, but I don't think I would fit in the car with it... Read above about the trans cooler. I'll live with high tranny temp and hope that the REDLINE D4 ATF will help out. I need to change the trans and diff fluid now though. I'm at about 5700 miles.

·
Registered
467 Posts
but when I was shifting between 2nd, 3d and 4th the tranny never got hot
ZO SIC: I dont follow, when you left it in third the Tranny DID overheat? But when you were shifting 2nd,3rd,4th if DID NOT overheat? Did I get that right?

Also, what were the outside temps... was it one of those 95+ deg thunderhill days??

And get some Hoosiers!!

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
:-? I only once got this "Active handleing warming up" message displaying across my dashboard. I guess there are times that the computer just is "too scared" to drive the car for us so we need to do it the old fashiond way and "I like that!!!!:p " Bill :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the pull key and wait 10 seconds message on four separate
occasions over about a 2 week period. The next time I got it, the column lock module failed and I had to have the car flat bedded
to the dealer. I hope that doesn't happen to you, mine is a very early 02 that is now having a fuel sender problem too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dreamin:

I think it had to do with letting the engine down into lower RPM's and not pushing as much hot air through the exhaust which feeds right into the trans and diff... Or since when I just left it in 3d I only hit 100 mph it didn't get enough air flow. But when I grabbed 4th I hit 128 mph and got more air flow. The car is not lowered... yet so there is some air getting under the car :)

70Boss302:

I've gotten Active Handling Warm Up Complete. Not sure why or when it does it. Just seems to be random...

BCSZ3170:

Wow, what a mouthfull. What does your name mean? I wasn't taking any chances and installed a collum lock bypass kit, so no worries for me. Sorry to hear of your misfortune though. I have had very few problems so far in my 5700 miles on my '02. I installed a Davinci fan controller and it is shorting out and keeping the fans on killing the battery... only problem so far. It is making this weird clicking/stuttering sound because it is trying to go on and off so much. Good luck with your car and don't let it ruin the Z06 experience :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
ZO SIC

CSX3170 is the serial number of my 66 427 Cobra
B is first initial of my name. Cobra has a 502" Shelby aluminum block in it now so it is not really a 427. Not to worry though, original engine is in a crate in the garage.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BCSZkahfghagjlhas927372357

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, what is an old AC Cobra engine worth anyway? I think I can pick up an old one out of a widow's garage for about $2,500 or so. Not sure what shape it's in, or if it is assembled or not. I wonder if there is a guy out there looking for the block to match his car???

·
Registered
291 Posts
BCSX3170,

So it was your 2002 that had the column lock? That is not good as i have not seen anyone selling a bypass for the new 2002's yet.

:cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Column lockout

I bought the current bypass because they told me it was the
same for 2001 and 2002. Looks like I got snookered since others
have said it won't work on 02.

Regarding FE engines depends on the type ie side oiler or not ,low riser, medium riser, or high riser heads etc, etc could be worth up to 20k for a fresh engine of the right type. Most engines sitting around are junk with cast crank and pistons and not worth much. Early Cobras had low risers, later ones had medium risers, and the last ones had 428 cid (junk engines). Race cars had single 4-barrel NASCAR engines.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
'02 Column Lock Bypass works fine

I bought the column lock bypass and installed it on my '02. Works fine and has for nearly 3,000 miles. No codes or nothing. I wasn't taking any chances...

·
Registered
75 Posts
BCSX3170 said:
I got the pull key and wait 10 seconds message on four separate
occasions over about a 2 week period. The next time I got it, the column lock module failed and I had to have the car flat bedded
to the dealer. I hope that doesn't happen to you, mine is a very early 02 that is now having a fuel sender problem too.
Hmm that's not unusual to read about fuel sender or gas gauge problems in general. My Z06 fuel gage would stick at the 1/4 mark and then suddenly drop to E :( On another occasion I would fill the tank full and the gauge wouldn't move from the 1/4 full mark. When first turing the key to the "On" position, the needle would sweep full scale as normal. Happened a few times. Knock on wood, I have not seen the problem recur.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts