Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a "Remove key and wait 10 seconds" message today when I went to start my car. Does anyone know what this is about? I was actually getting ready to do an idle re-learn.
Is it related to the column lock problem. I have never had a column lock issue. I refused the recall for it.
:-? :z: I did what it said & the car started fine.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
yeah baby! column lock is comming soon! You can break column lock with the FRC Tom method. Put your key in ignition and pull hard to the right as you twist your key to the right.

You can get your car fixed...but the fix is to disable the fuel instead of fixing the column lock pin problem.....

They can kiss my butt, I have a power programer and they aren't reprogramming my car. I will have my hubby cut off the pin in the steering wheel before they touch my car again.

The whole recall evolved because someone claimed the car did column lock while driving.....which no one has ever witnessed........

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
did you unhook your battery..?
this all started on mine when i put a new battery in the car..
after two years.. never a problem..
your car thinks it is being stolen..
clean off the key .. the little chip ..or use your other key.. they car BCM body control module. ..thinks the car is hotwired.. if you start the car and drive off.. you will go about 10 feet and the engine will stop.. it shuts off the fuel..
it is a pain in the assssss
i ended up replacing the BCM
good luck to you
keep trying

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 2004 did it about a week after I bought it (it had 8 miles on it when I picked it up). I had shut it off, then unlocked the glove box, then turned it back on in a rather rapid fashion. I called the dealer and they said the computer got confused as to whether the column lock was engaged or disengaged, so it forces you to take the key out and wait ten seconds so it can reset or something.

I did what it said and it was fine, and now 14000 miles later it hasn't done it again. I have not done the CLB.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wvphoto said:
did you unhook your battery..?
this all started on mine when i put a new battery in the car..
after two years.. never a problem..
your car thinks it is being stolen..
clean off the key .. the little chip ..or use your other key.. they car BCM body control module. ..thinks the car is hotwired.. if you start the car and drive off.. you will go about 10 feet and the engine will stop.. it shuts off the fuel..
it is a pain in the assssss
i ended up replacing the BCM
good luck to you
keep trying
Yes I did have the battery disconnected for the idle re-learn. I drove around after stopping at 3 places and had no trouble with it. I will clean the chip.

Kaya: I had wondered some time ago if you could just cut the pin off. I'm not excited about having to mess with the air bag to get the steering wheel off.

Harley B had a post about installing a $3 cam (I think it is a plate with no holes for the pin to go into.) Has anyone done this & will it also eliminate getting a column lock message??

I sure wish the General would issue a real fix for this. I have the GM print out that gives their techs instructions on how to do their so called fix. It lists vettes from 1997 to 2004 as having the problem. Wouldn't you think they could have solved this in 8 years!!!!! :screwy: :mah:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Terry,

That and the column lock issue came up on mine about a dozen times over a month or so.

I bought the Column Lock Bypass module that plugs in just under the ignition and haven't had a problem since. Of course, the steering wheel doesn't lock at all now, as far as security goes.

I also don't intend to have the recall done to protect my LS1Edit tune.

Steve

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
"Remove key and wait 10 seconds"

Usually that's the preamble to column lock problems. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
smithsc said:
Terry,

That and the column lock issue came up on mine about a dozen times over a month or so.

I bought the Column Lock Bypass module that plugs in just under the ignition and haven't had a problem since. Of course, the steering wheel doesn't lock at all now, as far as security goes.

I also don't intend to have the recall done to protect my LS1Edit tune.

Steve
Steve: I helped Paul put a CLB on his car & it was easy to do. I have heard that they have the potential to cause problems with the car also, but I know lots of people have them. I am about ready to get one but I'm going to see if by chance that the new cam might be a GM approved fix that would be done under the recall, but I don't want to have them re-flash the PCM. :NoNo:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts