Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any tips on how to remove the air from the coolant system? I just replaced the thermostat and need to get the air out.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Not exactly what you are looking for, but it should help.

If the procedure below is not followed a low or high coolant level condition and/or vehicle damage could result.

Park the vehicle on a level surface.

Follow the steps below to remove the radiator surge tank fill cap:
Slowly rotate the cap counterclockwise1/4 turn and then stop. Do not press down.. Allow any residual pressure, indicated by a hissing sound, to be relieved. After all hissing stops, continue turning counterclockwise to remove the cap. To tighten the cap, use hand tight pressure only. Open the radiator drain cock. Allow the system to drain completely.

Inspect the engine coolant:
Discolored -- follow the flush procedure below.
Normal in appearance -- Continue with the next step.
Close the radiator drain cock.

Important
When filling the cooling system use a 50 to 60 percent concentration with DEX-COOL® coolant.

Fill the system through the surge tank opening.
Fill half the capacity of the system with 100 percent DEX-COOL® coolant. Slowly add clean drinkable water to the system until the level reaches to the base of the neck. Start the engine. Idle engine for 1 minute. Install surge tank cap.
Cycle the RPM, idle to 3000 in 30 second intervals until engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F). Shut off the engine. Refer to step 3 above to remove the surge tank cap. Start the engine. Idle engine for 1 minute and fill surge tank to 1/2 inch above COLD FULL mark on the radiator surge tank. Install the surge tank cap. Cycle the RPM, idle to 3000 in 30 second intervals until engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F).
Shut off the engine. Top off coolant as necessary, 1/2 inch above FULL COLD mark on the radiator surge tank. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the compartment. Inspect the concentration of the coolant.

Flush Procedure

Important
Do not use a chemical flush.

Block the drive wheels.
Place the transmission in Park or Neutral.
Engage the parking brake.
Run the engine until the thermostat opens.
Stop the engine.
Follow the drain and fill procedure using only clean drinkable water repeat if necessary until the fluid is nearly colorless. Refer to the drain and fill procedure.

Fill the cooling system. Refer to the drain and fill procedure.

This is the exact procedure used from GM service information. This is how the flush and fill procedure should be performed by dealership personnel.
HOWEVER, I would question the need for the flush.
Unless you are experiencing deposits on the filler neck to the surge tank, or you have about 100k or the vehicle has been coolant tested, and it is breaking down, I would not bother. As long as the coolant is not low for an extended period of time, I would suspect that you are doing just fine. At least test the coolant first, to make sure.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
This is an easy way that works good for me.
First it helps if you have the front of the car higher than the rear. If you don't have any other way you can run the front tires up on a pile of 2x4s etc. Just stager them so you go up 1 level at a time.

Get a piece of hose a foot long or so. I think it is 3/8". Clear hose is nice as you can see through it.

Take the small hose off of the engine right next to the top radiator hose on passenger side. Take some string and tie the end of the hose up so it is higher than the top of the intake manifold. Push the spare hose onto the nipple you took the hose off of and hold or tie it up so it is as high as you can.

This should let trapped air excape. Fill the reservoir to the correct level and you should be ok. Then quickly pull the spare hose off & stick your finger over the nipple. Then quickly put the other hose back on the nipple.

It is easier to get the hose off & on if you take the electrical connector off, just don't get either end on the connector wet.

Go for a drive but stay close to home. If it starts to get hot shut it off let it cool off & try it again. But it always works the first time for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
terry schulze said:
Get a piece of hose a foot long or so. I think it is 3/8". Clear hose is nice as you can see through it.

Take the small hose off of the engine right next to the top radiator hose on passenger side. Take some string and tie the end of the hose up so it is higher than the top of the intake manifold. Push the spare hose onto the nipple you took the hose off of and hold or tie it up so it is as high as you can.

This should let trapped air excape. Fill the reservoir to the correct level and you should be ok. Then quickly pull the spare hose off & stick your finger over the nipple. Then quickly put the other hose back on the nipple.

It is easier to get the hose off & on if you take the electrical connector off, just don't get either end on the connector wet.
Can you help me out which hose you are reffering to and which end I should disconnect? Here is a picture of the engine bay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Success

OK I figured it out. It's neither of the hoses pictured above. I think he was referring to the Throttle Body Coolant hose. I put the car up on ramps , removed the throttle body coolant hose. Slowly filled the reservoir. When coolant began to start coming out of the throttle body coolant nipple, I assumed most of the air was out. I plugged the original hose back up. And then I follwed the post which is almost identical to HyperTech's instructions.

IT L GO said:
Important
When filling the cooling system use a 50 to 60 percent concentration with DEX-COOL® coolant.

Fill the system through the surge tank opening.
Fill half the capacity of the system with 100 percent DEX-COOL® coolant. Slowly add clean drinkable water to the system until the level reaches to the base of the neck. Start the engine. Idle engine for 1 minute. Install surge tank cap.
Cycle the RPM, idle to 3000 in 30 second intervals until engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F). Shut off the engine. Refer to step 3 above to remove the surge tank cap. Start the engine. Idle engine for 1 minute and fill surge tank to 1/2 inch above COLD FULL mark on the radiator surge tank. Install the surge tank cap. Cycle the RPM, idle to 3000 in 30 second intervals until engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F).
Shut off the engine. Top off coolant as necessary, 1/2 inch above FULL COLD mark on the radiator surge tank. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the compartment. Inspect the concentration of the coolant.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Yes you have the right hose in the pic. If you don't use a spare hose like I suggested there still can be some air in the system when coolant first comes out. I would let it run out a little to see if more air comes out. But most of the time what you did will get enough air out that the system will purge the rest to the coolant tank by its self. :z:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts