Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I'm not required to pass any kind of smog up in Canada and from what I can gather getting rid of the cats is a proven source of power. What do I need to accomplish this? Do I need to be installing a set of LT headers to make up the extra length of the missing cats or can this be done with the factory manifolds and some aftermarket extensions to connect to the h pipe. Will I require O2 simulators or does this require a PCM tune?

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Noel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good call...Now on the topic of headers, I've noticed most members here are biased toward either Kooks or Supermaxx. Is there a reason for this? Obviously they are quality pieces but is there something in their design that makes them inherently better than the next guy? Jethot makes a set of long tubes for the LS6, are they worth a look?
Very curious.

Noel.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
VICIOUS said:
Good call...Now on the topic of headers, I've noticed most members here are biased toward either Kooks or Supermaxx. Is there a reason for this? Obviously they are quality pieces but is there something in their design that makes them inherently better than the next guy? Jethot makes a set of long tubes for the LS6, are they worth a look?
Very curious.

Noel.

Actually the bias is toward LG longtubes, which IMO are far better than all the others. They do cost more though. That being said all three are good choices. It all depends on how thick your wallet is. :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Itchynackers knows not of which he speaks. I've run w/o cats for some time, and there's no objectionable increase in odor. That said, I've got the LG headers with O/R x pipe, and though loud, I'm very happy with the result. You no longer need O2 sims, because LG's gone with a 4 sensor bung system,(which I don't have) and you can retain all four O2, but with no cats, will have to tune out the rears. If you'd rather have most of the performance gain, and none of the code-throwing hassle, get the aftermarket high-flow cats.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting indeed. So not so much on the odor...what about performance gains? What have you found exSSer? Loud doesn't bother in the least, I'm only home 6 months of the year and it's winter for half of those...so I go hard when I can get the chance. Where would a guy get this TUNE done if he were so inclined? LS1 Edit? I do have and Ls1/6 speed sitting in my 68 Camaro that needs PCM work as well, maybe it's worth the investment. Would LS1 Edit do the trick?

Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
VICIOUS, I dont know alot about the tuningm but here are a few links to help you out with any questions you may have. IMO I think that it would almost be better to find someone that knows these set ups and the tunes that would be best for your needs. Just my .02 But check out these links about LS1 edit program and carputing who writes LS1 edit software. Hope this helps.
http://ls1edit.slowcar.net/
http://www.carputing.com/

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I can't tell you about specific gains from deleting the cats, as it wasn't dyno'd until all the exhaust mods were done. I'm kind of in the boonies as far as the latest tuning methods go, but if you have the computer knowledge, and two cars that have the PCM for LS series motors, you'd need a two-car license from LS-Edit, I think. Maybe that's just for the Predator.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
zmokkin said:
Sorry this is off topic but are the LG long-tubes smog legal for California?
No they are not. No mid-tube or long-tube headers are smog legal in California. I suggest you call Andy at http://www.aacorvette.com/ and see what he recommends.
In IMO shorty Headers are not worth much. :cheers:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would prefer to take it to a tuner...if I had a choice. Problem up here is there is only one dyno and tuner in my province that I know of who specializes in LS series vehicles. I can't wait to see his "I have no competition" prices. As an example of the gouging, I wanted to do a couple of engine only pulls with the LS1 in my 68 Camaro and the local shop wanted to charge me 3 hrs time @ 300/hr just to hook it up because they had never done a fuel injected motor before. Oh boy, I just laughed and walk out. Old school all the way. Thanks for the links guys, I've got some reading up to do.

Much appreciated

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had dynos of before and after cats, gutted cats, high flow cats and no cats....you get a little increase from each over cats but did not like tennie sound of gutted cat. No cats the benefits comes from tuning, can add some timing and overall pick up 12-15rwhp from cats....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts