Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this while checking out CCW's website. anybody do this to make larger wheels fit and if so anything to be aware of... problems, misc? seems pretty straight forward, and as im not going to track the car, it shouldn't make too much difference on the street. but just thougth i'd ask...

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
ppk1911 said:
found this while checking out CCW's website. anybody do this to make larger wheels fit and if so anything to be aware of... problems, misc? seems pretty straight forward, and as im not going to track the car, it shouldn't make too much difference on the street. but just thougth i'd ask...

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php

thanks
When I called to order my wheels they tried to sell me 12" in the rear with 335's and said the brake ducts have never been proven to do anything :bs:

From my experience, the more air you can get anywhere around the hub improves axle, bearing, and brake life... on the track of course.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what size did you end up getting? 11" rears?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
ellisnc said:
Actually, several tuners have tested this including Doug Rippie and found that the cooling ducts make little to no difference in rear rotor temperature. I yanked mine out to fit the 18x12 CCW's and haven't seen any difference in wear or performance.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The T-1 racers often remove the rear ducts, and place the trans/diff radiators in the void. Oh, yaah, and they go like hell, like 7 seconds quicker than me at Pacific raceways, I found this weekend.(Spectating :(

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh, PS, how could you NOT track your car? Even i fjust oncet in a while to git your yah yahs out? Good instructors keep you separated so you don't even have to worry about rock chips in the windscreen. ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
dmtnt said:
I yanked mine out to fit the 18x12 CCW's
dmtnt, do the 12" rears stick out of the fender any, and if so approx how much? just curious as i've seen some Z's with aftermarket wheels sticking WAY out of the fenders. and since i'm not going to track the car, looks are 1st priority and i'm not a fan of that look as it reminds me of a pimpmobile with daytons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dmtnt said:
Actually, several tuners have tested this including Doug Rippie and found that the cooling ducts make little to no difference in rear rotor temperature. I yanked mine out to fit the 18x12 CCW's and haven't seen any difference in wear or performance.
Notice I placed more than brakes on the list of what is inside the rear wheels... How about ball joints? CV joints get super hot as well.

What has Dave Hill or any other Corvette engineer said about the ducting? From first hand experience, aftermarket people know about 1% of what the people who engineered the car know.

Oil and mission coolers are a trade for the other ducting... until someone who engineered the car in the first place says they don't do anything, I'll just leave them.

Someone the other day told me that they removed the plastic covers over the ignition system and fuel injectors because it makes them run cooler. I asked him if he tested it and therefore how did he know? They could be for water intrusion into the injector bases or they may even heat those things up faster or cool them down. Anyway, my point is that you don't know all the engineering trade-offs that went into the car so it's silly to say something doesn't do anything.

If the brake ducting has been "proven" not to do anything for brake wear and you want to take it off for that reason, fine. Just don't go so far as to say it serves no purpose on the car because the simple fact is that frankly, you don't know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts