Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the cats and observed the power increase and the sound increase???

I'm talking on the stock exhaust and stock engine.

how much louder and how much power....?

:drunken:

·
21,367 Posts
I don't think this is a worthwhile mod by itself. If you were going for an all out effort I would say yes. The HP gain over stock is minimal and won't be felt by SOTP. It will however give you an increased exhaust note but you can do the same thing with a set of Stingers or equivalent.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
jub jub said:
I don't think this is a worthwhile mod by itself. If you were going for an all out effort I would say yes. The HP gain over stock is minimal and won't be felt by SOTP. It will however give you an increased exhaust note but you can do the same thing with a set of Stingers or equivalent.
What Jub said is dead on. Plus no cats and your car smells terrible I just had the experience of following one down the road for a while.

·
Registered
413 Posts
if you remove cats and do some tuning you get fair hp results...removing cats allows to add a little timing...removing cats only can expect 8-10rwhp but cats and timing possibly up to 15rwhp....with stock Ti exhaust some sound increase, but as said already expect some smell plus rear facia gathers residue from exhaust.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'll give ya a for instance... With the exhaust totally stock, I first added a Borla Stinger 2tip. It was considerably louder, and pretty cool, I thought. After a few months, I installed a complete LGM system, with off-road X. It was about20% louder than with just the Stingers. The catback makes by far the most difference in sound. Oh, BTW, mine doesn't smell bad, or leave a residue on the rear valance.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
exSSer said:
I'll give ya a for instance... With the exhaust totally stock, I first added a Borla Stinger 2tip. It was considerably louder, and pretty cool, I thought. After a few months, I installed a complete LGM system, with off-road X. It was about20% louder than with just the Stingers. The catback makes by far the most difference in sound. Oh, BTW, mine doesn't smell bad, or leave a residue on the rear valance.
:yeadog:

mine's a lot more than 20% louder though.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had small, 3" bullet style "mufflers" fabricated where my high flow cats were. I have flanges that allow for swap with the cats if I choose. I get the flow benefit of no cats, but a bit more subdued sound from the bullet style mufflers as opposed to a real straight pipe. They're about 8" long and have convex dimples on the inside. In fact, you'd probably look under my car and think they were high flow cats.

Between the extra flow and extra timing the tuner was able to throw at my car, I went from 447/396 SAE to 455/405 SAE. Same dyno before and after.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
BLU-BY-U said:
I had small, 3" bullet style "mufflers" fabricated where my high flow cats were. I have flanges that allow for swap with the cats if I choose. I get the flow benefit of no cats, but a bit more subdued sound from the bullet style mufflers as opposed to a real straight pipe. They're about 8" long and have convex dimples on the inside. In fact, you'd probably look under my car and think they were high flow cats.

Between the extra flow and extra timing the tuner was able to throw at my car, I went from 447/396 SAE to 455/405 SAE. Same dyno before and after.
Those small "mufflers" sound like the hot ticket to me. I could use a set. Who made them?

D.J.

·
Registered
895 Posts
phantasms said:
:yeadog:

mine's a lot more than 20% louder though.
I agree!!!

When I went from just the 4-tip stingers to the Kook's 1 7/8 LT Headers and no cats it at least doubled in noise level.

Of course, I did the cam at the same time and that contributed to the difference from just the Stingers as well.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts