Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The very first thing I plan on doing to my 02 Z when it arrives is get those GD clip on weights off the wheels and have them balanced with tape-on weights. I want to get them off ASAP so they don't squirm around and damage the wheel paint.

Anyone else do this? If so, was there any paint damage when they where removed -- I know some of these can be pretty stubborn.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
2 of mine FLEW off at rather high speed, came clean off, nice and shiny /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

However I don't recommend this method of removal /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JC

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
All the racer use the stick on weights on the INSIDE of the rim. Balance not only around the circumfrence of the inside but also inside to outside. HINT: Use duct tape over the weights just to be sure!!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJWorm -- yup, thats the plan -- to go with '2-plane' balance method with tape-on weights. Should be cleaner looking than those butt-ugly clip on weights, and alot safer from what N4C5S was describing. Lucky they didn't go right through some body work
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif !!

·
Registered
111 Posts
use German Stick on weights. they stay on, however all stick ons must be on a flat area perpendicular to the road or they will gradually slide off.

·
Registered
878 Posts

On 2001-08-15 22:07, DJWorm spewed forth this drivel:
All the racer use the stick on weights on the INSIDE of the rim. Balance not only around the circumfrence of the inside but also inside to outside. HINT: Use duct tape over the weights just to be sure!!
Duct tape is a great idea. Thanks.. What do you mean by "balance .... inside to outside"

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
As racing wheels and the Z06 wheels are wider than 9 inches if you put all the weight on either an inside rim circumference or an outside rim circumference the wheel will not be balanced from inside to outside. Not so critical on your Dad's sedan with 4 inch wide rims but at rims over 9 inches and at higher speeds you want the wheel balancedin both axis. you want to make sure the wheel is balanced in all axis. Most dynamic computer balancing machines can be pre programmed for rim with and circumference and it will tell you exactly where to put a primary weight near the inner lip (for circumferential balance) and a smaller secondary weight closer to the hub toward the outside. Sometimes only 1 weight is needed neer the center of the inside of the rim. I had Magnesium Dymags that only used like a dram! They were so light and wide that if you chiped the powder coating you had to rebalalce. One never needed any weights and another needed 5 weights all at 1/16 of an ounce to balance in various positions on the inside rim. These Magnesium wheels were so light we had to be very careful and limit the size of the duct tape so as not to through the wheels out of balance!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx2.net -- I think he means a '2-plane' dynamic spin balance. This is where some stick-on weight would be placed just behind the spoke plane, and some weight would be put on the very inner most point on the inside of the rim. This is as close as you can get to having clip-on weights on the inside and outside lips of the rim. Some guys just put one plane of weight at the center of the rim, but this is only concidered a 'static' balance, and does not take out any imbalance caused by differences between the sides of the assembly. Always go with the 2-plane method IMO.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks, both your posts cleared that up perfectly.. I'd like to get my wheels chromed once I get the thing. Waiting 6 weeks ... still no TPW /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Would you recommend getting OEM chrome wheels that look the same or do you recommend a different brand. I'd rather not spend $1500/wheel for HRE's... I could deal with $1500 for the set though.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Kudos to Jeff, a great wrencher at Classic and Performance in Delta, BC Canada for removing the weights without putting a mark on any wheel.

Four out of four !! Way to go Jeff !!

He did a great job ! I was ready with the polishing compund as he took the weights off - car was only a day old from dealer and less than two weeks from the factory. Weights were on well but he coaxed them off without a mark !

S

·
0 Posts
Mine had only very minor blemishes in the clear coat (which I can fix, but you really can't even see it). I took mine off at about 2300 miles, and had the dealer do a 'road-force' blanace, and matched the tires to the rims. Only the rears had to be matched (that is when, after balancing, you let the air out and turn the tire on the rim to a spot where the comptuer says it is the best place). the road-force part is where a load is put on the tire to simulate driving it.

It was worth the $95 it cost me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts