Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now that all our friends are getting their '02 Z06's, us old guys have to keep up. I want to remove my pup converters. Can I do this without messing with the computer, the timing, the setup in general? Can I just cut them out and weld in a pipe to replace them? Am I crazy? I wish I could afford the long tube headers, but if I do that I will have to sleep in the Z06. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Any advice would be nice, thanks. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Chop those puppies off when you install long tube headers, you will not believe the difference. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif You will probably only gain about 5-8 hp in removing them, probably not worth the expense unless your going with headers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

**FOR SALE** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **FOR SALE**
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Why not loose all your cats with a Bassani "off-road" X-pipe at about $310? Or replace the whole stock cats+pipes setup with the two Bassani bolt-on parts for about $550, no cutting required. Removing just the pups while leaving the large cats won't buy you much IMHO.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I don't know if it's an issue in Harrisburg, but in our area we need to pass an emissions test.

With the pups removed, you will still pass a smog test as long as the main cats are up to their operating temperature (they will be after the drive to the testing facility). I hear that in CA you may not be able to pass the visual inspection though.

With the main cats removed, you won't be able to pass any state's emissions test.

Chevy said removing the pups on the '02 was worth 5 HP. http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page2.htm

I've heard others claim around 13 HP total for removing the main cats and pups in an "off-road" only setup.

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06 Order# DKFFMZ - TPW 8/6 - DOA /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/All but PSMs
Try #2 - TPW 8/20!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts