Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to pull the rear suspension apart for poly bushings and new wheel studs. Got the spindle nut off, split the top ball joint and loosened the bottom one, but can't get the damn spindle out of the bearing assembly. Can anyone confirm that this tool will work before I buy it?

http://www.all-tool.com/BY_MASTER_CATAGORY/Automotive_Service/CV_Joint_Axle-Hub_Tools/CV_Joint_Axle-Hub_Tools/cv_joint_axle-hub_tools_17.htm

Pep Boys and Advance Auto didn't know what the heck I was talking about. :roll: Thanks guys! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
327 Posts
Joe,

I've used that type of puller on other vehicles to get a stuck spindle to move. The only question becomes is it tall enough and is the spread on the bolt pattern big enough. Out of curiosity have you tried any WD40 on the spindle to help loosen it. Sometimes that with a wack from a hammer will knock them loose. Just make sure you use a piece of wood or something fairly soft and don't hit the shaft directly with the hammer. Sometimes a little rust really makes them tight

Gary

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GSMZ06 said:
I've used that type of puller on other vehicles to get a stuck spindle to move. The only question becomes is it tall enough and is the spread on the bolt pattern big enough. Out of curiosity have you tried any WD40 on the spindle to help loosen it. Sometimes that with a wack from a hammer will knock them loose. Just make sure you use a piece of wood or something fairly soft and don't hit the shaft directly with the hammer. Sometimes a little rust really makes them tight

Gary
Thanks Gary, but I had read some threads where it said specifically NOT to tap the spindle as it can cause damage to the diff or half shaft. :-?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Generally I think we're told not to whack on the axle shaft because there are too many nuts out there that won't use something soft and will end up damaging the threads.

Obviously don't bust out the sledge and start pounding. Get a rubber deadfall or something and tap it gently. You also might have more luck reattaching the upper ball joint so the upright isn't flopping around everywhere.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what is stuck. I took both my rear spindles off last summer to replace the rear wheel bearings and they came off with no problems.

There are three allen bolts that hold the spindle to the wheel bearing assembly. The bottom one is behind the lower ball joint. Have you taken that out?

Here is a picture of my rear spindle off the car. After I took these three bolts out, my spindle came right off the wheel bearing assembly. The wrench is on the one that is normally behind the lower ball joint.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sometimes rust will cause them to be tight. I agree they should slide apart with little resistance but that's not always the case. I have used a block of wood and a hammer to take this setup apart many times without damage. Like Mgarfias said you need to protect the threads on the shaft.

I doubt yours is this bad but on some older Jag's that have a similar design I have had to heat the assembly with a torch to take them apart. That of course requires bearing & seal replacement. Hope you don't need to take that route.

A very light coating of anti-seize on the shaft will help the problem from reoccurring.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys, I got it out. Hammer, block of wood, couple of good whacks and out it came.

Brad, it was the spindle that I couldn't get out at first (the axle shaft that goes through the center of the bearing assembly in your picture).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts