Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the stock Ti exhaust with 2-tip Borla stringers. As I am a motivated cheap bastard, I'm planning on doing the swap myself in my garage.

I basically have 3 questions, which should be easily answerable by anyone who's done the same thing themselves at home.

1. I've read in the HELM manual that you first need to disconnect the stabilizer shaft, while on this website somebody said you need to lower the sway bar. Those 2 are the same thing, right?

Can you actually disconnect and lower one side only, or do you have to disconnect the whole thing?

2. I'm planning to buy a race jack + jack stands at Harbor Freight (nice to have one of their store less than 2 miles away!), but this will only allow me to jack the car up so far...

Realistically, how high does the car need to be jacked to remove the stock Ti exhaust? Would it help if I jacked the rear slightly higher than the front? If so how much would be safe?

3. When you buy a Borla Stingers exhaust kit, does it come with everything you need, or do you need to get any extra parts (gaskets, bolts, nuts, etc.) separately?

I'm really trying to avoid wasted time... I do want to install the thing myself, but can't waste hours tracking parts at the last minute!...

Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate any help you can provide :z:

:cheers:
Geoff

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
1. Same thing as the sway bar.

2. If you don't have a lift, you will have to lift the rear as high as you can get it. I think you need about 3-4 feet to be able to remove the stock Ti system.

3. I'm sure the Borla system, if new, will include everything you need - except the gasket. You can reuse the stock one if it's not damaged when removing exhaust. I reused my original one and it was fine.

Also, there should be a thread with complete instructions on removal of exhaust... I think.

I was going to try and install mine myself but gave up because I didn't have the right jack to lift the car high enough. I wish I would have just taken it to my muffler guy and not wasted my time. It was a piece of cake for him with the lift they use. It would cost you about $40 to have someone install it.

Alex

·
Registered
709 Posts
1. Yep - there are 2 bolts, 1 per side. Remove them and the bar swings downward and out of the way.

2. Rear needs to be 3' off the ground unless you plan to cut the stock one in half to remove it. I don't recommend you do this on jack stands (though many have) - things get real unstable at that height. I used a friend's lift.

3. Nothing else to buy - everything came with my Stingers.

Cheers - Al

·
Registered
219 Posts
geoff,

i did the stinger swap on my 03 using a set of rhino ramps under the front wheels and a craftsman professional HD truck jack (all i had at the time). i got it as high as the jack would go and it still wasn't high enough. i put a chunk of railroad cross-tie between the jack and subframe and i still couldn't get it up high enough. so i got out the sawzall and cut the stock exhaust off-- only after a friend assured me his friend could weld them back together. :bang:

by the time i got my 04, i had a AC hydraulic high lift jack (best piece of equipment for the car i've ever bought) and had no trouble getting the stock ones off, but man the car is at one heck of a scary angle.

here's what i have:DK13HLQ

well, i still have that exhaust in my basement, and it's still in 4 pieces! moral of the story, make sure you have the right equipment.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick replies!

Ok, so I get the idea that my plan to do it with jack stands isn't a good one :D

I'll check with a few places around to see if they could do it for cheap... $40 I could definitely do, though it seems here in California everything's expensive!

ppk1911: That's a mighty fine lift you got there! $400 is a weebit out of my price range, but it surely looks worthwhile if you can afford it! Oh, and that 4-piece exhaust story was great :pp:

Thanks again for the help!

:cheers:
Geoff

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IT L GO said:
:eek: :eek: How did you hold the front in place??? Looks painful :D

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at the picture again, it doesn't look THAT bad :) How much difference between the front and the back height-wise?

Geoff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts