Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Perilli P-Zero's on my car and because I live in a construction area, it is common to pick up nails and other foriegn objects in your tires. :(

What is the word on patching and/or plugging a Z-rated tire? I picked up a nail yesterday and had it patched. The tires have less that 1,000 miles on them and they cost about $400 a piece.

Repair or replace? When does it become dangerous?

Thanks for your input,

--Jeff Nation

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Jeff,

IMHO: repaired Z rated tire only if on a rear and kept under z rating. i would never run a repaired tire on the front at any speed..........................JMHO

·
Registered
249 Posts
The same thing happened to me. A nail in the back tire at 1,200 miles. After much investigation into finding a place who could patch it from the inside without screwing up my wheels - I had it patched.

The guy told me -- that that tire has now dropped a rating. From Z to H. Ever hear this before???

Side note.
Find a place who sells LOTS of custom wheels - they seem to be better at taking care of the wheels than guys who do not much experience with customer wheels.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I had my front right GY patched last weekend. Same happened on my '01 Z06 last Summer. I don't trust repaired tires under high speed conditions, so I am ordering a set of fronts from Tire Rack through our site.

Several years ago while I was driving my then almost new Lexus SC400, I had a repaired Brigestone Potenza tire failure at a high speed..almost lost total control. Fubu

·
Registered
400 Posts
All you need to do is find a competent tire shop. In most cases a small nail hole will be repairable and will not damage the tire in such a way as to effect the speed rating. Check the manufacturers recommendations.

If the thought of a repaired tire makes you nervous then have it replaced.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I got a little info book with my Perilli P-Zero's... it states that with a "patch-plug" type of patch the first patch still maintains the speed rating... the 2nd patch voids the speed rating.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dreamin said:
I got a little info book with my Perilli P-Zero's... it states that with a "patch-plug" type of patch the first patch still maintains the speed rating... the 2nd patch voids the speed rating.
Thanks! That's good enough for me--I didn't get that literature.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I own a tire/suspension shop and have not found any problems with a PROPERLY patched tire from the inside,,,UNLESS it was a large hole. Or the nail went in at a severe angle. But if it worries you, by all means replace it for the peace of mind.

Just my humble opinion,,Nick :)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Do we have any engineers on board? If so please answer this one.......

How THE F does a flat nail on the road wind up sticking straight into a tire!

The physics involved must be incredible......

JC

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
JN

Same here................with the amount of ponies and TQ you will be putting down, replace the tire......$304.00 from Tirerack, plus $12.00 shipping.............
I had to have mine FAST, and it cost me $450.00 at the local Goodyear Store............I had no choice the tire was ruined.......
I would not take a chance especially with YOUR monster to be.:(

·
Registered
400 Posts
N4C - Nails laying flat on the pavement rarely end up in the tire that runs over them. That's why the overwhelming majority of nails are picked up by the rear tires. The front tire, in effect, sets up the nail for the rear tire. Nails in front tires are more often than not caused by the car in front of you.

The camber in the road accounts for the fact that the RR tire picks up more nails than the LR. It is rare for a tire dealer to pull off really worn out tires that don't have at least one nail in them. By the same token the deeper tread on newer tires keeps short nails from puncturing the inner liner and can sometimes be removed before causing air loss or internal damage.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
N4C5S said:
Do we have any engineers on board? If so please answer this one.......

How THE F does a flat nail on the road wind up sticking straight into a tire!

The physics involved must be incredible......

JC
How about 5 sheet metal screws? That's what my left rear picked up last month in one fell swoop. :mad: Unrepairable.

·
Registered
223 Posts
took a nail in stock RR Goodyear F1 Supercar tire...repair jobbed out by dealer to supposedly reputable shop...one month later, it developed another slow leak....lost confidence in tire....replaced it with new F1...$400 yecchhh, but, agree with other [email protected], why worry about possibility of repair failure!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
FROM A "Y" RATING TO A "T" RATING!!!!!

That's what my tire guy told me. Since we are hearing a lot of different information on this subject, it would be nice to hear from some engineers.....

The "Y" rating is good for up to 186 mph. The "T" rating is good for 118 mph.

I've had a few runs over 118 mph.....one at over 160 mph. It would be nice to know that they are safe at higher speeds.

Anybody know a Tire Engineer??

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tire engineer? You've heard the facts. If you want more detailed info you'll have to get it from the mfg. Each has it's own set of guidelines but in general they agree that small nail holes do NOT compromise the speed rating or SAFETY of ANY tire if repaired PROPERLY.

That last word is the key. PROPERLY.

One more time - PROPERLY.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Please define properly.....

bibsuit,

Or better yet what is an Improper repair? What specifically should we be looking for?!

We have concerns here because a lot is riding on our tires and we drive fast.

When some bozo says after repairing your tire: don't forget now, it's now a "T" rated tire.....shouldn't we be concerned?????

If this is just crap, why do they warn us.....just PYA?

Are you saying it's no big deal because Pirelli says so? I can buy that, assuming it's true. But, I guess I'll have to check with Goodyear to be sure.....and I think I already know their answer.....REPLACE THE TIRE!!

So, what's a *PROPER* repair??

I just called the Tire Rack, and they said a maximum performance tire should not be repaired in their humble opinion. They have Tire Stores and refuse to repair Maximum Performance tires. Said it's a Liability Problem.....

Bibsuit, sometimes Opinion takes the place of *FACTS*. Do you believe everything you read as FACT??

I still don't feel comfortable about this and was looking for a higher source when I said *TIRE ENGINEER*.

Sorry to offend you.....good luck when driving on a patched tire!

Thank You in advance for explaining *PROPERLY*......

:(

Barrie
PS Boy did you get up on the wrong side of bed this a.m.!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
No Barrie, not the wrong side of the bed at all. It just gets a little old watching people ignore good advice while they apparently seek the answer that suits them. So how do you know what is "good advice", particularly on the internet where any dufus can claim to be an "expert"?

First, don't assume. You assume Goodyear says they tires cannot be safely repaired. They can. After all, they built the product. They know. Dealers like Tire Rack (no slam here, I like the Rack) are merely resellers.

Second, the last "real" expert I knew was a man by the name of Clarence Ball who worked as an "engineer" for Michelin for most of his life. He was recognized in the industry as the foremost authority on the reapair of rubber tires. He wrote a column for Crains Tire Business for many year until his death in 1998.

I was fortunate enough to take a three day siminar in which he was the instructor in the late 70s (Lake Sucess, NY as I recall). In fact I still have Michelin's repair manuels which were, for the most part, written and approved by him.

Properly means properly. Sorry to be evasive but a book could be written on the proper techniques.

In my opinion if a few hundred bucks is little more than a good meal to you then by all means replace the damaged tire. If on the other hand that is a substantial amount of money to you you'll have to do your homework. That means finding a reputable local tire dealer and quizzing him about his repair knowledge. If he doesn't take you seriously or offer to explain his techniques go somewhere else.

I'm sure there are internet sources as to the "proper" repair techniques. It MUST include removing the tire from the rim, inspecting for collateral damage, properly sealing the injury from both sides (including a radial patch) and rebalancing.

I would pass up any place that offers free tire repairs. Done "properly" it is a costly and time consuming procedure that requires a "properly" trained tire tech.

More later if you're still interested.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Bib,

Thanks Bro ;)

I'll give Goodyear a call and see what they say and post later.

It seems that a proper repair would do it for most of us, unless you're running very high sustained speed like at The Silver State Classic.

It seems to me if the object penetrating the tire cuts the steel cord, that might cause a failure at sustained very high speed. If it just cuts the rubber it would *probabily* hold up.....but maybe not.....

On of the reasons I installed a line lock on my Z was to have some fun burning up my "damaged" tire. Also, wanted to practice technique.

THANK YOU for your considerate responce. I feel much better ;) :D

Best to ya,
Barrie

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
AS PROMISED!!

Well, I called my local Goodyear Store and they agree with Bib..... A properly patched F1 tire will work just fine, and keep it's speed rating :D

This guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about!! However, being a "Doubting Thomas" when it's my butt on the line at high speed, I thought "what the hell," I'll just call The Goodyear Tire Company. Score so far was 1 for the tire losing it's rating, and 2(Bib and The Goodyear Store) for it's keeping the rating!

Finally got thru 10 minutes of waiting and talked to a Tire Engineer, or so he said. WELL, it's now 3 to 1 and I'm finally convinced. This is GOOD NEWS :)

Here's the bottom line: Goodyear says you can have 2 proper nail repairs with no loss of speed rating. Upon the 3rd nail repair, the tire loses it's speed rating. Also, the nail holes must be on top of the tires tread between the inside edge of the first tread on either side of the tire.....i.e., on our F1's about 1 inch from the inside and outside edge of the tire.

Bib, you were right on!! You da man!! I'll never doubt you again :D

:cheers:
Barrie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts