Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I have been thinking about getting an AGM battery, but apparently I have read elsewhere that there isn't an Optima version that fits. Is that true?
Currently, I have the AC Delco 90PS (I believe stock) battery.
The battery is inside the cabin at the back of the car, so does have the small tube off to the side for venting.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I haven't seen any recent posts on this topic...

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,876 Posts
Optima was bought out some time ago and the quality is no longer very good.
Even with the new C8 Corvettes GM is using a acid flood type battery

With the drain in that space for the battery and nothing near it very little chance of an battery leak or damage
I think it was 2 model years GM tried using a matted type battery and had all kinds of low voltage problems
with that type of design

I'd stick with OEM design just make sure the cold crank amperage is stock spec or higher would be fine

Also use a battery tender (not a charger) on regulator basis and battery then will last a long time

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have been thinking about getting an AGM battery, but apparently I have read elsewhere that there isn't an Optima version that fits. Is that true?
The battery is inside the cabin at the back of the car, so does have the small tube off to the side for venting.
I actually replaced my battery on my 2012 about two years ago. I had this feeling that the orginal battery just didn't seem to have it's old zip. I put in a 90PS and haven't had any issues with it. I do put a tinder on it now, as during Covid-19 I don't drive it as much. My car came with a Delco 4838 battery.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I replaced my battery a couple of years ago I stayed with the factory battery because of the vent tube, so the battery gasses don't accumulate inside the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Odyssey battery. I've used them in five different vehicles including 3 corvettes and they work and last well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a odyssey in my 08 Z and it works great, but these cars have some sort of parasitic battery drain so keeping it on a tender is a good idea
Make sure you get a float charger. 1.25 amps to no more than 2 amps. It will fully charge a battery. It will then maintain that state of charget by only charging thereafter when the battery needs it

On my 2018 Z06 there is a cigarrette lighter receptacle, for lack of a more precise description, that goes directly to the battery. It is hot whether on or off. I plug my float charger directly into it. Works perfect. I don't know what they might have in the other series of Vettes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Optima was bought out some time ago and the quality is no longer very good.
Even with the new C8 Corvettes GM is using a acid flood type battery

With the drain in that space for the battery and nothing near it very little chance of an battery leak or damage
I think it was 2 model years GM tried using a matted type battery and had all kinds of low voltage problems
with that type of design

I'd stick with OEM design just make sure the cold crank amperage is stock spec or higher would be fine

Also use a battery tender (not a charger) on regulator basis and battery then will last a long time
I just get “the one that fits” from the local auto parts store. It last two or three years then I get another one. I have a charger I use to shoot 6 amps into it when it dies and I want to get to the store to buy and install a new one. Its one of the few things on the car that is easy to fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
C6 Z06s have two battery related problems. The first is the space for the battery, it limits size and thus CCA. I believe the stock AC Delco has 680 CCA. The second is the cable that connects to the front. Have you ever noticed that even with a new/fresh battery, every start sounds weak? I found an Optima group 34R (1,000 CCA) fits in the rear compartment. And I replaced the OEM battery + & - cables with 00 gauge welding cable. It was a real PIA to install, requiring removal of all the trim on the passenger side, passenger seat, and the BCM. But I was rewarded with instant and very lively starts. When parked comfortabley in my garage, I keep a CTEK charger with an AGM setting connected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,

Beware, make sure your battery installer keeps power to the system on certain Serial Number # of Corvettes and Cadillacs, when they are swapping out the old battery to the new one. If they change the battery without keeping power to the Center Module , you will not be able to set the time or play CD's . This is a $1,500 mistake , because it wipes out the embeded software. Mine finally corrected itself 6 months later, must of been the GOD of Corvettes.

Regards,

Chuck Sheets

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a problem with early C6s with the NAV radios. I'm not sure what year GM fixed the problem. NAV radios won't display the correct time after loss of power. Not true of cars w/o NAV. I've had my 05 coupe (no NAV) and Z06 (no NAV) w/o power for days w/o problems. There is a fix for NAV radios that I hear has limited success.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is a problem with early C6s with the NAV radios. I'm not sure what year GM fixed the problem. NAV radios won't display the correct time after loss of power. Not true of cars w/o NAV. I've had my 05 coupe (no NAV) and Z06 (no NAV) w/o power for days w/o problems. There is a fix for NAV radios that I hear has limited success.
My wife's 2011 GMC Yukon Denali's NAV had problems after we experienced a meltdown. 100,000 miles. Running 80. Doors started locking/unlocking/locking. Everything on the dashboard was flashing. Headlights flashing. Horn honking. GMC is losing speed rapidly, but still running. Finally get it pulled off the freeway, swallowed hard, and shut everything down. Waited about 10 minutes trying to figure out in my mind what went wrong. I started it up. Everything worked fine. Except there was no time on the NAV. Blank. About a year later a time appeared on the screen. But it was random, and was not keeping time. Just switching it as it damn well pleased. About a year after that the time came on when we started and it was right. But it never changed. But we noticed everytime that we started it the time would be right, just never change. Hell, we are making progress. Then about a year later it came on, stayed on, and is keeping time.

The only remainging problems occur when the low fuel light comes on so does the NAV. Not what is supposed to happen, but it is a nice thought by the NAV. Then on rare occasion the car will just lock itself. We learned how to live with that, which is take the keys whenever we step out.

I went to my GMC dealer and told them to check every ground wire they could find. I figure about 30-40 of them. Unplug, inspect pins, plug back in. Loosen the bolts/screws, retighten. There is a major ground on top of the transmission, which means the transmission must be removed. I passed on that one.

The moral of the story is to check every ground wire you can find, then be patient. Ours was a little petulant at first but finally came around. Up to 175,000 miles now, with the last 15,000 being worry free, absent the two remaining things. Still low fuel equals turn NAV on, but no big deal. Still on occasion will arbitrarily lock the doors. We solved that one by taking keys.

By the way, who uses Navigation on a car anyway? That is what mobile phones and Apple CarPlay are for.

So it happens. In my case it substantially resolved itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2011 GMC Yukon Denali's NAV had problems after we experienced a meltdown. 100,000 miles. Running 80. Doors started locking/unlocking/locking. Everything on the dashboard was flashing. Headlights flashing. Horn honking. GMC is losing speed rapidly, but still running. Finally get it pulled off the freeway, swallowed hard, and shut everything down. Waited about 10 minutes trying to figure out in my mind what went wrong. I started it up. Everything worked fine. Except there was no time on the NAV. Blank. About a year later a time appeared on the screen. But it was random, and was not keeping time. Just switching it as it damn well pleased. About a year after that the time came on when we started and it was right. But it never changed. But we noticed everytime that we started it the time would be right, just never change. Hell, we are making progress. Then about a year later it came on, stayed on, and is keeping time.

The only remainging problems occur when the low fuel light comes on so does the NAV. Not what is supposed to happen, but it is a nice thought by the NAV. Then on rare occasion the car will just lock itself. We learned how to live with that, which is take the keys whenever we step out.

I went to my GMC dealer and told them to check every ground wire they could find. I figure about 30-40 of them. Unplug, inspect pins, plug back in. Loosen the bolts/screws, retighten. There is a major ground on top of the transmission, which means the transmission must be removed. I passed on that one.

The moral of the story is to check every ground wire you can find, then be patient. Ours was a little petulant at first but finally came around. Up to 175,000 miles now, with the last 15,000 being worry free, absent the two remaining things. Still low fuel equals turn NAV on, but no big deal. Still on occasion will arbitrarily lock the doors. We solved that one by taking keys.

By the way, who uses Navigation on a car anyway? That is what mobile phones and Apple CarPlay are for.

So it happens. In my case it substantially resolved itself.
What really pissed me off was I could not play my Music GD?

Regards,

Chuck Sheets

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my Z06 battery at the Auto Zone. It has a vent and a handle to lift it out; although there is not enough space to take it out without removing the door and the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts