Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I have been thinking about getting an AGM battery, but apparently I have read elsewhere that there isn't an Optima version that fits. Is that true?
Currently, I have the AC Delco 90PS (I believe stock) battery.
The battery is inside the cabin at the back of the car, so does have the small tube off to the side for venting.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I haven't seen any recent posts on this topic...

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,851 Posts
Optima was bought out some time ago and the quality is no longer very good.
Even with the new C8 Corvettes GM is using a acid flood type battery

With the drain in that space for the battery and nothing near it very little chance of an battery leak or damage
I think it was 2 model years GM tried using a matted type battery and had all kinds of low voltage problems
with that type of design

I'd stick with OEM design just make sure the cold crank amperage is stock spec or higher would be fine

Also use a battery tender (not a charger) on regulator basis and battery then will last a long time

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have been thinking about getting an AGM battery, but apparently I have read elsewhere that there isn't an Optima version that fits. Is that true?
The battery is inside the cabin at the back of the car, so does have the small tube off to the side for venting.
I actually replaced my battery on my 2012 about two years ago. I had this feeling that the orginal battery just didn't seem to have it's old zip. I put in a 90PS and haven't had any issues with it. I do put a tinder on it now, as during Covid-19 I don't drive it as much. My car came with a Delco 4838 battery.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I replaced my battery a couple of years ago I stayed with the factory battery because of the vent tube, so the battery gasses don't accumulate inside the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Odyssey battery. I've used them in five different vehicles including 3 corvettes and they work and last well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try Odyssey battery. I've used them in five different vehicles including 3 corvettes and they work and last well.
Thanks, here appears to be the latest model that fits the C6 Z06.
ODP-AGM96R FORMERLY 96R-600

·
Registered
2008 Z06 Jetstream Blue
1 Posts
I have a odyssey in my 08 Z and it works great, but these cars have some sort of parasitic battery drain so keeping it on a tender is a good idea

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a odyssey in my 08 Z and it works great, but these cars have some sort of parasitic battery drain so keeping it on a tender is a good idea
Make sure you get a float charger. 1.25 amps to no more than 2 amps. It will fully charge a battery. It will then maintain that state of charget by only charging thereafter when the battery needs it

On my 2018 Z06 there is a cigarrette lighter receptacle, for lack of a more precise description, that goes directly to the battery. It is hot whether on or off. I plug my float charger directly into it. Works perfect. I don't know what they might have in the other series of Vettes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Optima was bought out some time ago and the quality is no longer very good.
Even with the new C8 Corvettes GM is using a acid flood type battery

With the drain in that space for the battery and nothing near it very little chance of an battery leak or damage
I think it was 2 model years GM tried using a matted type battery and had all kinds of low voltage problems
with that type of design

I'd stick with OEM design just make sure the cold crank amperage is stock spec or higher would be fine

Also use a battery tender (not a charger) on regulator basis and battery then will last a long time
I just get “the one that fits” from the local auto parts store. It last two or three years then I get another one. I have a charger I use to shoot 6 amps into it when it dies and I want to get to the store to buy and install a new one. Its one of the few things on the car that is easy to fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts