Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run into an issue of removing the guide pins of their Z06? I was getting ready to replace my stock pads with some Hawk Ceramic pads but can't seem to break the guide pins loose to remove them. According to my service manual, the tightening torque for the pins is 30 ft.lbs. I have applied a lot more than 30 ft.lbs. trying to break them loose to remove them. It is at the point that it feels like the allen wrench is starting to slip inside the pin. I checked with the mechanics at my local Chevy dealer and they weren't any help since they had not replaced any. I don't want to strip out the pins. I've replaced lots of brake pads on other type of vehicles and know that the pins can be tough to break loose but not like this. The car only has 5,600 miles on it.
Any suggestions?
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
That's a challenge: ... some annecdotal comments I've found:

"After many cuss words after stripping guide pins, the only removal was a easy out. 3/8 drill bit with the no#6 easy out. Harbor Freight sells the screw extractor kit with 6 different bits. Ballbusting but got them out. It was 9 bucks. I could not back them out from inside the caliper.
If you use the kit drill your hole deep inside the pin, rubber mallet the easy out in, back the pin out. "

"tip 1: remove the caliper to change the pads
tip 2: you must use an impact tool to remove the pins, otherwise you will strip them "
I've read that early are allen; later are torx head.
"I give the allen wrench a whack with a rubber mallet or dead-blow hammer."

If you R/R, use antisieze on the threads.

p/n is 19121796 ; pins available from gm parts house and by set from ZIP products (call them to check stock)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Denny, thanks for the tips. I'm not familar with ZIP. Do they have a web site. If so, what is the URL? Local chevy dealer does not have the pins in stock and he said the the warehouse shows none in stock as well. I'm going to give the impact wrench approach a try but would like to have some spare pins on hand just in case I end up taking a more drastic approach.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Mike ... sorry ... was away for a long weekend and *gasp* not on the internet!
google Zip Products.
Wish I had the info at hand, but many just flop the calipers back and replace the padlets without removing the pins ... consider that option as well.
/r
Denny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike ... sorry ... was away for a long weekend and *gasp* not on the internet!
google Zip Products.
Wish I had the info at hand, but many just flop the calipers back and replace the padlets without removing the pins ... consider that option as well.
/r
Denny
Denny, thanks for the tip on removing the calipers. It worked well.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I know this is old thread but maybe some can still help. Getting ready to replace pads and rotors and wanted to go with full pad, what do you do with the pins? do you take them out?
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts