Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just paid my $1295 from WCC, and after a horrible wait of 30 days, because the manufacturer sent me 4 rear shocks, instead of the 2 front T-style and 2 rear Fork style shocks :mad . Anyways ... I removed my springs and removed my stock Z06 shocks ... reused the mounting hardware ... installed them as they came (no turning with the spanner wrench just yet). The first thing I noticed after I dropped the car back on the ground, the freakin' jack got stuck :crazy: - LOL - Ok - so I quickly lifted it back up, dropped some 2x4's under the tires - managed to get the car back on it's 'feet'. Ok - first thing was that my front was soooooo low to the ground, I had about a 1/4" space, with almost the whole front on the ground - about 3 - 4" from the bottom of the nose. The rear, had about a 1/4" gap between the wheel and wheel-well. I could not drive it (well, at least on the street) - so, I had to jack back up. I gave it some turns, about 5 or 6 full turns with the spanner wrench on the front & back coil over adjustment rings. That was 36 'threads' from the bottom on the shock body for the fronts and about 29 threads on the shock body, from the bottom - for the rear coil over shock. Now the car, sits with about a 1" wheel gap - all the way around - lookin' real badazz! :D. Time for road test :yesnod: . I get out on the road, kinda crappy road by me, so I take it easy - no more then 30 MPH, with slow turns - gotta watch out for the kiddies playing in the streets :yesnod: . I manage to find me some curvy roads, blast her to about 50 - 60 MPH, with some decent turns ...no body roll, no nothing - stuck to the ground like velcro :) . Ok - time for some more 'real world test and feel'. I get the Z out on the major highway - do a quick blast to 110 MPH ...with some moderation in the road, no bottom out -no rubbing, nothing ! At this time - I was like - dang :cheers: - let me find some real 180 degree offramps, etc ... so I said, 'alright - fine, I know one or two'... here we go, I took a turn in 4th, at approx 75 MPH - car handles unbelievably nice ... almost like a freakin' race car :smash: :D - Hmmmmm ... no alignment yet, I imagine I get more out of it - once I complete that - to make it perfect. :chevy . I'm happy and recommend them to anyone who wants to 'naturally drop their car, and get even more performance handling'. No pix yet .. but they look like these here:

Total install time: 6 hours.
Tools: Torque wrench, some decent jack and jack stands, bunch of metric wrenches and sockets, and a couple of 2x4's

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Coil Overs allow you to.....

..... really fine tune the chassis. My "90 C4 Callaway has coil overs over the Bilstein FX3 fully adjustable shock with a racing EProm and race valving. The coils are hyperco set up for a Sears Point, Watkins Glen type course.

Anyways at the minimum you have to have the ride height set with you in the car and 1/2 tank of gas and an alignment. The other trick is to set it on a scale platform and again with you in the car and a 1/2 fuel tank set the ride height and balance of the car by wheel weights.

On my C4 we tried to initially set it up with all four wheel weights the same, the car lowered to minimum and the ride height the same. It worked, but over time we tweaked it mainly by adjusting the rear heights and weiights.

The first problem we encountered was that with acceleration the rear squated and rubbed the rear fenders on the wide tires. we had to adjust the rear ride height up 1/4" to 1/2". This gave the car a mild forward rake.
We found this better at keeping air from going under the car at high speed on the straights. This was our second problem. the front was getting lite at high speed. Again the forward rake helped this.
Our third problem solution of over coming right torque twist was accomplished by raising the right rear an 1/8" to 1/4" higher than the left rear and then actually adding some ballast over the right rear wheel.

After we moved the ballast around and got the ride heights perfect we went back and attacked the wheel weights by adjusting the sway bar rates, spring rates, and shock valving.

With coil overs the variables you can adjust to get the car "right" are infinite. But you can get it entirely wrong if your not careful.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manufacturer is ProPerformanceShocks out of GA.
It's worked for me :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sounds awesome man. Cant wait to see pics of your car. I want to lower mine, but really want to lower my car. I would like to lower and get the benifits of the handling improvements. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pix should be here this weekend ... I am willing to bet, I can get about 50 of you to cream your pants, this setup is sick!!!!!!! :cheers: :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts