Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I have noticed an odd residue that leaks from the lower corners of the rear window where the window seal meets the lower aft corners of the b-pillars. As the car dries, run-off water leaks from here onto the paint surface leaving a fog-like residue. Seems harmless but it's difficult to clean it all away and facilitates scratching of the surface in the affected areas. I suspect it may be window sealant residue mixing with the run-off water. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
02BlueZ06

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
02blu,

Not on my vette, but my GM buick Riv has had the same, dealer rmvd rear and resealed w/something diff no trbl since...........

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've also noticed this on my (2-week old) Z, but only on the left side. I'm going to wait until I've washed it a couple more times to see if it stops.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yep, I have my Z for about 6 weeks and am getting it on both sides, I am not to concerned but just something else to cleanup.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Just water I think :-?

I get it on both sides, the drivers side is worse. I go back several times and re-dry that area otherwise I get water spots.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same problem. PITA cause it keeps pissing water long after the rest of the car is dry. I have a '98 Lincoln MK VIII does the same thing. I've started using my leaf blower to force water out of all the cracks and crevices where water can hide (and later cause water spots or streaks). Works pretty well. :z:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, folks!

It's definitely more than water due to the difficulty in removing it.

I have it on both sides but worse on the passenger's side.

FWIW, I have found thru trial and error that it's easier to stop spreading the residue by wiping along the window seal from the window corner rearwards to the center of the rear window rather than wiping from the corner forward towards the door handle along the base of the b-pillar.

Be careful when wiping the residue from around the window seal area. I have seen a couple of fine scratches that I suspect were made by particles picked up by my drying towel (100% cotton, made in the USA, Canon towel with trim removed) as I attempted to remove the residue.

Thanks again!
02BlueZ06

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah, I get the same thing. I believe it is only water, the problem in removing it comes when you don't realize it is there and it becomes a hard water stain. After washing my car and before applying Z-6, I take a paper towel and gently lift up the rubber just enough to get a crease of the paper towel in there and and gently move it along underneath the stripping.

Then I apply a little Z-6 to the area and it is spotless. I also do the same thing with the other areas that drip well after the car is dry including the side view mirrors, tail lamps, gas lid, and door handles. After the first time of getting hard water spots from the side view mirrors that took two coats of Z-5 to get out I don't take any chances.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With regards to my Z06, I'm not convinced it is only water. After every wash I hand dry the entire car and I don't let the run-off residue stand for any amount of time so water spots are not the issue for me. As the water appears I wipe it off and what remains behind is a foggy residue. I also use Z-6 and it removes the residue w/o a problem. I will try the paper towel trick on my next wash.

Thanks,
02BlueZ06

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have it on both sides of my Z.
It appears to be just water in my case.
After washing I raise the seal up with my fingernail for a few seconds and let the water run out. Usually gets most of it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yup, I also have it. Never saw it on the quicksilver cars though. I wonder if its some sort of new goo on the 2002's only.

Weird how you were the first to post this. I too tried to rub it off after I saw it and put some fine scratches into the paint. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have it. Also, my passenger side mirror takes repeated leaks down the side of the car. I've found that taking the car on a run up to 140 doesn't stop the drip, but helps me forget. :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep. Same problem here mostly on the driver's side. It appears to be only water in this case. I have used a paper towel carefully to wick it out. I wonder if it gets in through the top center of the back glass/roof seal? There seems to be a small gap top center between that seal and the painted roof .:-?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yep, this appear to be a common problem on all Z06 rear window seals including Quicksilvers. I saw this exact same thing on a brand new Z06 QS just delivered and on showroom display at a local dealer. It also looks like plain water to me that is seeping out. The water, after washing the car, is getting inside the seal, obviously not watertight. Looks like a "defect" to me that would be hard to detect in the factory. Don't know if there is anything that can be done about it and doubt if it would be a addressed under warranty. Anybody know of a "home brew" fix?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for checking Zapper. Interesting!

Maybe that is not the point of water entry? If others do not have the gap and do have the lower corner leak, then the point of entry must be elsewhere.

Anybody else care to check and see if there is a small (1 - 2 mm) gap between the rear glass seal and the painted roof near the top center?

:-?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts