Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking into solutions for DE restraints and have a few questions.

- has anyone seen a c5 (esp. z06) with a crushed roof from a roll over? (for my harness bar vs. roll bar decision)

- are the exact same restraints required for instructor and driver (i.e. would TeamTech Jetpilot driver and standard 6-point passenger be okay)?

Thanks!

- john

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey John,

All of the info I have seen about restraints for DE's say they must be "equal for both driver and passenger". As long as they are both 6 point harnesses, I can't imagine there would be a problem. In the end, however, it will most likely be up to your instructor.

I don't know about you, but I am ready to get back to VIR! We definately did not get enough open track time. It's funny... I don't remember ever "seeing" you on the track, but I received pictures back and have one with you direclty in front of me and one with me directly in front of you. :crazy:

Kirk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Kirk - haha...well, I remember catching up to you on the first day and passing you - you must have blocked that memory out! :D

If you have any digital copies of the pics, I'd like to see them. [email protected] I'm headed back up with the audi club next month and mazda in June - hope to see you there!

·
Registered
299 Posts
As far as the roof of a Z06 crushing on a roll over.......they do. There is a built in roll bar at the top of the roof line just forward of the rear window. It's well done but it's well behind the collapsing of the front windscreen and the post that hold it up. I'm a road racer and have a full 8 point cage with cross bar in the middle of the dash. For the most part you guys doing de events are not going a lot slower than we are. In the event of a roll over you can use all the help you can get. I believe in the cage. I'm a little biased.........I had to use mine once and I just simply walked away from a car that every body panel and inter panel destroyed. The cage did it's job well and the car is back on the track again(with a carbon fiber body). Thanks for listening
Tony #54
p.s. It wasn't my fault!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Tony. I was more looking at a 4-point solo I bar (like from Kirk), which doesn't sound like it would help. I'm leaning towards a harness bar for now - eventually getting into a cage (the door bars are the feature I'd like most), but it would kill the car's value.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Freefall,
I tend to agree with Tony. It was that difficult decision that eventually drove me into SCCA T1 with a full cage. I couldn't decide whether to do harness bar, four point, or cage. Went something like this. I need a harness bar for a DE... well four point isn't that much more than a harness bar... well full cage isn't all that much more than a four point and a lot safer... no to much... harness bar would be fine... no, four point isn't that much more... well a cage isn't that much more and is much safer... what the heck... I'm going T1. :D :lol: :D

As Tony said, I've done times in a stock Z06 that would've put me near the front of an SCCA T1 grid. In fact, many DE guys have a full T1 supsension and DOT R compound tires as I do, but don't have the 160lb roll cage penalty and may even be faster.

Good luck making a tough decision... maybe you'll end up in T1 with me. :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
John,

There are several things I blocked from my memory. For example, I don't remember anything about going otc in turn 1 :lol:

I will send you a couple of pictures later today.

Kirk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear that - don't know why people ask me if my next vette will have four wheel drive...something about the oak tree and mud??? :-?

subdriver - your first paragraph follows my exact thought process...you navy boys must have some new mind reading toys or something! For now, I think I'll just do a harness bar. The cage's biggest advantages seem to be added a-pillar rigidity (preventing the windshield supports from collapsing) and protection from a side impact (much more likely). As my speeds increase and I start running in less restricted groups, I'll be much more inclince to install a cage. After all, I'm sure my wife would rather kill me for putting a cage in the vette, then get an injury that could have been prevented.

·
Registered
971 Posts
A cage has saved my tail twice.

I have a three point in the vette. It also tightened up the frame even after the T-1 race bars.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm going to recommend a back half T-1 cage like MYSR71 had done in his.

Seriously sturdy, clean install, retains stock belts, and ready to accept the rest of the cage when you want more metal.

I love my full cage and don't give a hoot about any ding the car's value may have taken.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe Aquilante - you have email and voicemail! :zboobie:

That seems like a good option - good harness mounting point for now, plus is expandible for additional protection in the future. Thanks guys.

subdriver - you were supposed to say, "great decision!" :mah: :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Arnoldir said:

Seriously sturdy, clean install, retains stock belts, and ready to accept the rest of the cage when you want more metal.

I love my full cage and don't give a hoot about any ding the car's value may have taken.

:thumb: Use it and have fun they ain't making a museum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Arnoldir said:

Hey guys- I've just read this thread, as I've got the same dilemma. These Vettes (especially the Z06's) are so darn fast, I would feel much better with some level of protection, as well as a good seat and 6 pt harnesses.

I've pretty much decided to go with the 4 pt roll bar rather than just a harness bar (brey-krause's sure it pretty), but a full cage is not an option since I still want to drive the car on the street.

Of the many choices for bolt-in (with welded mount plates), which is the recommended brand? I've seen Autopower, Kirk Racing, Wolfe, Corvette Garage, and more.

Prices vary widely, but is there a certain spec (bar diameter, wall thickness, etc.) that I should be looking at? I know that DOM or Chromoly is the way to go, in case I ever do want to go full-race and add in the rest of the cage. ERW is out.

Feedback?

Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey AgZ06,

My full cage Z06 is my daily driver April - November. Don't rule it out so quickly. All they need is a little soft padding around your head for street use.

Many of the kits I've seen weld plates onto the bulkhead above the fuel tanks, my cage goes through the bulkhead right down to the frame rails (much better IMO).

My 2 cents, please value accordingly.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Me too. After several DE's with wonderful instructors!, I've decided to lay off tracking the car until I make up my mind just how deep I want to go. I'm small and use a lot of hand and knee energy to hold myself in the seat. I figure I won't improve much more without some kind of harness setup. My initial thought is a Breathless Harness Bar setup like our glorious leader, JC, had in his Z. It was very unintrusive and sorta stealthy as it was all black (belts and all) and kept the OEM belts for everyday use. I like my trunk space for trips, etc., so a real cage is out. I also want to run R tires, so I'll need a trailer. Do I want a hitch on my Z? Not really. Am I gonna buy a truck and real trailer? No. Oh, decisions, decisions.

:zboobie:

·
Registered
558 Posts
freefall said:
- has anyone seen a c5 (esp. z06) with a crushed roof from a roll over? (for my harness bar vs. roll bar decision) Thanks!- john

Last year at Road Atlanta-turn 7-if memory serves me a Z06 went into the cement barrier and rolled over onto its top lowering it a bit. The driver was ok so far as I know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
fcar said:
Last year at Road Atlanta-turn 7-if memory serves me a Z06 went into the cement barrier and rolled over onto its top lowering it a bit. The driver was ok so far as I know.
I've seen a few roll-overs in the past few years, usually after hitting a tire wall at an angle and "climbing" up the tires, then rolling over. My head is important to me, so I'm going with the bar.

Before I get flamed on this issue, yes, I know that full cage is the safest way to go, especially with true door bars. But that is impractical and plain unsafe when driving the car on the street without a helmet. I don't care what type of padding you put on the bar - an unhelmeted head will lose the battle with a rollcage bar every time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was told that the mounting point for the Kirk 4-point (the steel pan behind the seats) is not that strong. Does anyone know either way on that?

·
Registered
69 Posts
freefall said:
I was told that the mounting point for the Kirk 4-point (the steel pan behind the seats) is not that strong. Does anyone know either way on that?
I went to see Silver Bullet's install of the Kirk 4pt today. His was mounted so that it was on steel frame- I believe that his installer cut through the rear carpet and fiberglass to get to the steel frame to do it, but it is solid. The front points are mounted to plates welded to the frame crossbar behind the seats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts