Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't hit the limiter yet (only 400 mi), I have however mis-shifted into a lower-than-expected gear, but not at WOT. I have seen posts about guys on the track hitting the limiter "hard" , but I also know if you miss a gear or downshift at high rpms, you can damage the engine (bend a valve,etc). Why can't the limiter catch those situations ? Are they just to quick for the limiter to catch ? I ask because I could see myself going thru the gears really hard & missing a shift.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I find myself bumping the rev limiter more often than I would like. The Rs come sooo fast that I hit the limit before I realize it. It usually scares me. I try to shift early, around 6000 rpm, to stay away from the limiter.

On a downshift, the computer sees the excess rpm and shuts off fuel but the energy of the car can overspeed the engine. The electronic limiter has no way of snubbing back driven rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why can't the limiter catch those situations ?

Because things are already spinning that fast... although it may be cool if in the future they come up with an electronic clutch disengage to prevent catastrophic downshifts?

Anyone know if Ferrari's F1 paddle system or BMW's SMG control this? Given the electronics they should be able to...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that explains the unwanted downshifts (engine already spinning too fast). How about the missed gear, would rev-limiter catch those ? If not why not? Say you are around 6k in 2nd and go to shift to 3rd but miss the gear & end up in N or in between gears but you've already hit the gas again, would limiter catch that ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The rev limiter will catch a throttle induced over-rev, but not a speed induced over-rev. It can only cut off fuel, spark and throttle.

The Ferrari F1 paddle system won't engage the lower gear until the RPMs are low enough, and it will blip the throttle to match the revs. It is an easy feature to add once they have control of the clutch and gear selection.

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
I seem to hit the Rev Limiter concurrent with elevated heart rate, then it's an "oh shit, oops!!" :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
rev limiter

I discovered the rev limiter early one Sunday morning off a red light on a deserted road, with a souped up rice rocket in the next lane......since the first gear is not to tall in the Z I decided to start in 2nd, and guess I forgot what gear I was in the heat of the moment, and suddenly the car lurched, hic cupped and refused to go. Well I hit the red line but in second, and caught myself quickly shifting into 3rd, but the competition left me in his dust.....now I understand about the rev limiter...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The best way I have found to avoid hitting the rev limiter is to use the tach shift light on the HUD. ('02s) The light comes on at 6250 RPM. As soon as the light appears shift, I usually have it in comp. mode, when running through the gears. I was hitting the rev limiter, alot, prior to using this method.

carzzy

·
Registered
128 Posts
On a missed shift (accidental 3-2 at redline for example), the rev limiter will not help. This is because the transmission is attached to the rear wheels when the clutch is engaged. Given enough speed and a low enough gear, the energy from the rolling rear wheels will actually accelerate the engine so that the wheel speeds, transmission speeds and engine speeds match. (Either that or the rear wheels will completely lock up on you.)

Think about it this way, when you are traveling at redline in 2nd, the engine, transmission, diff and rear wheels are happily locked together and moving without significant slip. Now shift into 3rd, accelerate and then shift back into second. The car still wants to have all of the pieces spinning together, and for all the input and output revs to match. Unless something in the driveline slips, everything will accelerate to match the wheel speeds.

No amount of electronics will prevent a speed induced over rev.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I do believe the technical side of over-rev has been covered very well here. Next perspective is how to prevent dropping in the wrong gear.

I take it that most of us here have suffered the pain, embarrassment, and heart-break of missed gears.:lol:

I don't have one yet... After Christmas!:sneaky:

I'm talking of a shifter mod. My only experience with that was driving Frank Calmes Silver Streak. He has a Ripper. It shifts like President Bush speaks, concise, precise, and to the point. Before I drove Frank's car, I wouldn't have believed it could make that much of a difference. But ... Boom-Daddy!!!! There it is, on time, and exactly where it's supposed to be, both up and down the pattern. No more 6th to 3rd down shifts in the heat of high speed driving! :D

Take care,

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
sigung86 said:
I do believe the technical side of over-rev has been covered very well here. Next perspective is how to prevent dropping in the wrong gear.

I take it that most of us here have suffered the pain, embarrassment, and heart-break of missed gears
Having never owned an automatic anything, I have a little insight for proper shifting of the ZO6. The method I use involves just a couple simple rules...
1. Don't push the clutch all the way to the floor
2. Don't completely release the throttle
When I shift, I only depress the clutch approx 3/4 in and release the throttle about 1/2 way and my Z shifts fine, even under hard acceleration. Although I agree that an aftermarket shifter like the B&M is probably a better unit (I'm getting one) but the stocker is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Every transmission/shifter setup has it's own "personality" and once you learn it, I think you'll find that these things shift pretty good. I don't know about you guys, but I've never owned a trans/shift setup like whats on the ZO6, so I don't try to shift it in the same fashion as everything else I have owned. I'd bet if most of us were to hop in Jeff Gordon's NASCAR racer and take a few laps we'd probably be grinding gears all over the track, yet I would hardly call his setup cheesy....Just a thought:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Raise the rev-limiter to 7200 RPM like mine & you won't have to worry about it. :D

The answer to your question is that you "over-rev" the motor. Because when you engage the gear, it spins the motor too fast for the rev limiter to catch it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
carzzy said:
The best way I have found to avoid hitting the rev limiter is to use the tach shift light on the HUD. ('02s) The light comes on at 6250 RPM. As soon as the light appears shift, I usually have it in comp. mode, when running through the gears. I was hitting the rev limiter, alot, prior to using this method.

carzzy
I have hit the limiter once,and was not expecting it.....Still having a hard time watching the HUD instead of the dial tach.....question:is the dial tach that much far behind the hud?I guess it is,but seems hard to believe....

·
Registered
30 Posts
where do i get a B&M Ripper shifter

Having followed this thread, I am intrigued about this B M Ripper shift kit.....
Where can I order one, I will be in Phoenix area, or in Toronto area? or do they have a web site.

In addition to the wonderful shifting that the Ripper promises to give, what happens to the warrantee on the tranny, etc?????

Thanks to those who can supply the info.:) :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
VettTheRipper said:

I'd bet if most of us were to hop in Jeff Gordon's NASCAR racer and take a few laps we'd probably be grinding gears all over the track,

Do they shift gears in Nascar? That's funny, I kind of thought all they did was turn left in the same gear.

:p

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
lundgren said:

Do they shift gears in Nascar? That's funny, I kind of thought all they did was turn left in the same gear.

:p
I suppose that's mostly true...no wonder those guys need a push leaving the pits:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Boy you guys have really helped me out ! I didn't know it had a rev-limiter ! I'm used to motorcycles and you wind them till they quit but you also get an ear for it ! I guess I'll just have to keep listening:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts