Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally had the new Michelin PS2 tires installed in stock Z06 sizes on my OEM 02 Z06 wheels. 265/40/17 & 295/35/18. These tires are outstanding, by far the best street tire I have ever driven on. These tires are the most expensive for a reason and worth every penny. :yesnod: I'm a huge Formula One fan and have been very impressed with the Michelin tires in F1. The second I heard these PS2s were based on their F1 development, I knew I had to own a set. They actually look very much like an F1 tire with the rounded sidewall and 4 grooves. Very sharp looking tires, I'll take pictures when I get a chance to clean up the car.

As a comparison, here are the previous tires I have had on my Vette:

- Goodyear Runflats: loud, harsh over bumps, poor straight-line grip, predictable handling, excellent high-speed stability, lasted forever, piece of mind

- Nitto NT 555: very good tires for the price, better grip than the runflats without the noise and harshness, last a long time as well

- Goodyear F1 Supercar: very good straight-line and cornering grip when warmed up, good handling at high speeds and turn-in felt crisp, wore out very quickly, terrible in the wet (nearly lost it at 70mph on I95 once!)

- Kumho Ecsta MX: sloppy steering response and handling, poor handling at high speeds, worst tire I've had on the car, low price, grip was okay, about 90% of F1 Supercar dry grip, far better than the Goodyears in the wet, lasted tooooo long for my liking! :rofl:

And now this brings me to the new Michelin PS2s. I've only put about 50 miles on them so far, but I can already say, without question, these PS2 are the best $1300 I've ever spent on the Vette. They allow all the engine/suspension/breaking mods I've done to the car to work in harmony like they never have before. It's like a new car again. I want to have a bonfire with those POS Kumhos now! :lol:

- Straight line grip: AMAZING! :eek: Tonight, with my climate control showing 35 degrees outside, I was able to floor the car in 1st gear from a 5mph roll with ZERO wheel spin! :crazy: :yesnod: Remember I have 456rwhp with 4.10 gears... I have never been able to floor the car in 1st on street tires before. And the fact that I was able to do this on a cold night is even more impressive. I stayed dead hooked and pointed straight on my power-shifts as well. :thumbs:

- Cornering grip: They make every previous tire I've owned look I had been driving on ice. You can literally rip the steering wheel back and forth as hard as you can with no drama. Car would usually under steer like crazy when I would try that before and now it just darts in whatever direction you want it to go. Haven't explored the limits too much yet since most of my favorite back roads are still too sandy to drive fast on, but from what I can see so far, the limits will be VERY high.

- Steering response & handling: This is the category where I disliked the Kumhos the most. I think the fact that they were 275mm up front instead of the factory 265mm may have contributed to this, but whatever it is; it feels like I bought a new car. This is how a Vette should handle. Turn-in response is quick and crisp. Car rotates very nicely going through the twisties now. When car magazines praise the steering feel and fun to drive of the Porsche 911 over the Corvette I think the fact that they come with these tires from the factory my have something to do with it. :yesnod:

- Noise & Ride comfort: They make no noise, ride smoother and feel far less harsh over bumpy surfaces. How they do all this and also perform so well, I have no idea, but I'm not complaining! ;)

- Wet handling and tire wear: Can't speak from personal experience on either of these yet, but I've heard the wet weather performance and hydroplane resistance is exceptional. I expect them to wear slightly better than the F1 Supercars, but only time will tell.

As you may be able to tell, I highly recommend these tires to anyone looking for replacement Z06 tires. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about these tires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Floored in 1st with no spin? Can't imagine this on the streets given your horsepower at those temps. What do you think members? Too good to be true?
How do these tires launch compared to the softer compound nitto r2?
Can anyone else back this claim? Sorry to sound so skeptical, these cars have wicked power and are tough to hold down in first gear.
thanks

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'll put them on my shopping list. :cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
hmmm, not to sure if i can agree, considering i'm from CT as well and it is still frozen for the next month back there, so therefore you couldnt even get traction with an all out slick :lol: LMAO! just bustin your balls fairfieldite. i will be putting a set of pilots on my fronts this week and nitto 555 for my backs to help glue me to the ground. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Notified yesterday from Tire Rack that my PS2s shipped from Indiana. :jammin: Originally ordered 2 1/2 weeks ago and have been waiting for the fronts to show up. Should be here just in time for me have them sit for several days since I fly out early Sat morning. :(

I will be putting them on the car on 3/31 and can't wait after reading Bills review! I will also finally get to install the Vette Brakes light weight, slotted cryo rotors that my wife got me for XMAS and a few other goodies that are laying around the garage.

I was out last Sat and the F1s were sliding all over the place in the dry. And I concur about the wet handling of these tires. In anything heavier than moderate rain, these tires are a handful..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jason31 said:
Floored in 1st with no spin? Can't imagine this on the streets given your horsepower at those temps. What do you think members? Too good to be true?
How do these tires launch compared to the softer compound nitto r2?
Can anyone else back this claim? Sorry to sound so skeptical, these cars have wicked power and are tough to hold down in first gear.
thanks
It's the truth, I was just as suprised. Now I didn't just punch the throttle at 5mph, I rolled into it, but I was WOT from 3k rpm all the way to 6900rpm in 1st gear without wheelspin. My fiance was with me and she said she has never been pushed back into the seat so hard. How well would they have worked from a dead stop? I'm guessing they'd spin a little, but I'll do some tests if we ever get some dry weather again. :) I'm also going to be making some passes on April 2nd at Englishtown to see how they work at the track.

If I remember, John Hennessey used these tires on his twin turbo SRT-10 Viper and ran 11.3 at 145 in the car and driver shootout, so they definitely have some pretty good grip for a street tire.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
The PS's sure don't grip for me in any weather. But I have to admit, its the best all around alternative there is out there.

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GNX Guy said:
The PS's sure don't grip for me in any weather. But I have to admit, its the best all around alternative there is out there.

Joe
Your extra 100rwhp and 135rwtq may have something to do with that. :lol: Do you have the original Pilot Sports or the PS2s?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Awesome write-up, thanks. Currently looking for my first set of replacements, didn't know the PS2's came in stock Z sizes !? Drew

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Bill, thanks for the excellent writeup. I see you have had the Nitto NT's, but not the 555r2's. Wonder how the PS2's compare to the Nitto 555r2's? I need more traction in 1st & 2nd like everyone, and want something sticky for the twisties on road courses. My concern about the Nitto's is the wear factor at 100 vs. the 220 on the F1's. Not sure about the PS2's, but probably better than 100 for sure. I was ready to order the Nitto's, but you have me thinking again. :-? Should I go with the PS2's? Thanks. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The Nitto R2's don't wear like a 100 tire Bob, they do very well. As far as comparing the Nitto and PS2, I haven't used them both, but can't comprehend another street tire beating the Nitto by much, if at all. It will be interesting to see more feedback by people who have used both.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
MikeyB, thanks for the input. I have a few weeks to make a decision, so guess I'll grab a few Sam Adams and give ole Jub a holler to see what he's up to. :ity: Anyone compare the Nitto 555r2 to the Michelien PS2? :thumb:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rpallas said:
Bill, thanks for the excellent writeup. I see you have had the Nitto NT's, but not the 555r2's. Wonder how the PS2's compare to the Nitto 555r2's? I need more traction in 1st & 2nd like everyone, and want something sticky for the twisties on road courses. My concern about the Nitto's is the wear factor at 100 vs. the 220 on the F1's. Not sure about the PS2's, but probably better than 100 for sure. I was ready to order the Nitto's, but you have me thinking again. :-? Should I go with the PS2's? Thanks. :thumb:

The PS2s have a 220 wear rating. I considered the Nitto R2s before buying these because of the high grip and lower cost. I went with the PS2s because I put over 10k miles a year on my car and didn't want a tire that wore so quickly as a daily driver. I also didn't want a "track-stye" tire that would kick rocks up at my paint and pick up nails, screws, etc really easily. I would like to drive a car with the R2s to compare myself, but I think the decision really lies on how you are going to use the car and how much mileage you are going to put on the tires. I think Nitto makes a great tire, I actually just bought Neo Gens for the fiance's WRX and they're awesome, but the PS2s just seemed to fit my application better. :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had Pilots Sports on my BMW M coupe which was supercharged. They were ok under acceleration, but great in the corners. I had a 275 on that car, but once that tire wore down, it was highly proned to Hydro-planing... Saw a guardrail on that one.. was ugly...

I had Kumho MXs on my Porsche C4 Twin Turbo which made over 500WHP, and that thing never hesitated in a straight line regardles of temps. Granted it was all wheel drive. Great tire life too.
It did feel sluggish in side to side steering response, so I can concur on the mushy side wall feel.

I wish the Michelins were more reasonable $$ wise...

Has anyone gone with larger sizes on stock wheels?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have the original PSs on my 427 Z06 and am very pleased. Once they are gone, I will likely go to the Michelin PS2s and 18" Fikses all around. The 18 front 19 rear is just too hard to get good tires for... The PS Cup is also a very nice tire as long as you know the car cannot be driven in the rain.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Bill, thanks for the reply and your thoughts. I will probably lean your way as most of my miles are on the street (about 7,500 per year) with 4-5 DE's per year. The best scenerio for me would be to have an extra set of wheels for the DE's and use the Nitto's, but go the PS2 route for everyday use. I am also concerned about picking up debris from the soft compound Nitto tire. I'm sure the PS2's will give me the better everyday traction on the street over the F1's that I am looking for. Thanks again. :coo:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I hate to toot my own horn, but I have been telling every one this for the past year, I have had the PS2s on my car for over a year, and 12k miles of use, wear has been even across the tread block, even with a mild autoX alignment (-1.25 front and -1.10 rear) Tread depth started at 10/32 an the rears are now at 7/32. So may ask how I have had them on my car for over a year, It's one of the perks for racing on the Sport Cup in Solo ll for the past two years and having Michelin as a sponsor last year. But I would recommend that if you are doing DE's, you should use the Cup tire, I drove on them to and from all the National tour events that I ran, plus regional (Reno) and American Auto Cross event. Plus back to Topeka for Nationals about 8K of road use plus 200+ laps (auto-X) and they still show 1/32 after starting at
about 4/32.
I'm not sponsored this year, but will keep running the PS2s not only on my Z, but also the Audi. Expensive yes, but worth it.
But for auto-x this season it will be Kumos.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm replacing the stock F1SCs @ 12,600 miles, and am not sure what to get -I drive the ZO6 everyday. The PS2s are rated very high but last about half as long as the F1SCs -I had the PS2s on a TT300ZX and they were awesome but flat wore out in about 6k miles. I need a tire that will provide insane dry grip, acceptable wet grip, and last longer than half a year -basically the PS2s w/o the short life. Anyone?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts