Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lowered my ride height after doing a lot of work on the car during the winter. I had 2 1/4 inches of wheel clearance (I know that's not exactly scientific) before I tracked the car. After a weekend of racing, the clearance is down to 1 3/8 inches. If this is too low, what would the symptoms be? There are no signs of the wheels scraping against the upper wheel well. However, as reported in an earlier post, when I hit the bump at turn 1 at RA or any rumble strips at the apex, I hear a deep chattering sound when the car is drifting from the apex all the way across the track to the exit. The shifter also shakes violently. Would this happen if the shock was bottoming out? By the way, I have the T-1 suspension kit with Sachs shocks. I also did work on the CV joint and could it be that the axle shaft is bottoming out in the joint?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
What size front tires do you have on?

Most T1 cars see lots of rubbing on the inside lip of the front fender well, on the fiberglass part, not the black under panel. My lip is almost gone after two and a half years of use.

A real rough thumb rule for T1 cars is that you can normally get just about two fingers between the top of the front tire and the fender lip, maybe just over an inch. More in the rear. Sounds like you are close to that so I wouldn't suspect any huge problems.

What kind of shock do you have? Maybe the shaft of your shock is too long. I have Sachs T1 shocks on mine.

At several tracks, I do bottom out. Grattan in several places, Topeka over the new hump in the main straight, and maybe at TWS going onto and off of the high bank. I can feel the car hit the bump stops. Its pretty abrupt and definitely unsettles the car. Try to do it going straight if you can. :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Goodyear GS-CS 335/17 on all 4 wheels with the T1 Sachs shocks. When you notice your shock bottoming out, how long does it take your car to settle down, all the way from the apex to exit? Also, does your shifter shake like crazy? One of my shock boots is missing and I can see there is only 3/4" of travel left when the car is under full weight. That doesn't sound like much but I don't suppose many people have removed the boots.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Normally is it a very abrupt bounce, but it dampens out pretty fast. Maybe one rebound and then it settles. I don't remember my shifter vibrating, but wasn't holding it either.

And, I must have my boots still on my shocks and I can't see how much travel mine have.

You have 335s up front? Wow, that is a lot of rubber up there. That may be rubbing in the well. Have you looked under there and looked hard for rub spots?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm running 315/35's on all 4 wheels and have no signs of rubbing. I found the culprit that was making the chattering noise! One of my rear shocks was loose, the nut that holds the piston had worked its way off. :ity: I put lock tight on it so it won't happen again. Thanks though for your input Subdriver! :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts