Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello Z06 owners,

in november I ordered my 02 Z06 (Quicksilver Metallic/Torch Red) from a dealer in Arizona. members of my family and friends who own sport cars own Carrera's, M3's, or CLK's. after doing the research, seating in the Z06 at the auto show, coming to grips with my budget, i decided to go with the Z06. i wanted an 8, a true 2 seater, high performance and a car that you don't see everyday. when you look at what the Z06 offers in terms of perfomance with relation to the cost of the car, there doesn't appear to be a better value in the market. the interior is somewhat lacking. but if gm had to cut corners for price point issues, the interior is the only component of the car that seems to be affected. the motor, tranny, suspension, braking, all apprear to be exceptional. in addition, i love the design of the Z06 and have always been impressed with the vette from a performance standpoint every since I road in my friends C4 back in the early 90's. the concerns i have center around the postings i read on this site and a couple of other sites regarding reliability, maintenence and quality control. the major problems i read about involve oil consumption, the "marbles in the can effect" or "rattling noises", oil measurement, shifting/clutch, and most recently the fan/cooling systems. i have even read about Z06 owners who are attempting to have gm buy back their Z06 because of maintenence problems. simple things like changing the oil or measuring the oil seem to be major tasks for the Z06 owner. are these postings i read about isolated incidences or are they par for the course with Z06 owners? even though the Z06 is a push rod v8, when i read the auto reviews and even the vette brochure from gm I get the impression that the vette is a sophisticated, well developed/engineered sports car (at least from a performance standpoint). why then do i see so many postings discussing maintenance issues? is it quality control (if your lucky you get a great vette with no problems, if your unlucky you get a vette with many problems), individual ownership (driving behavior/maintenence) or something else? many of the changes gm made from the 01 to the 02 model address some of my concerns (eg. oil consumption-new rings/pistons), but when you read the postings many are from 02 owners. i really like the Z06 and want to be a vette owner. but i don't want to experience inherent problems with my Z06. what am i missing here? when i placed my order, i felt confident i made the right decision. but when you read some of these postings, you begin to wonder. i don't plan on racing my Z06, but i would like to put the hammer down every now and then which is why i ordered the car. also, the Arizona heat is unforgiving. will i be able to drive the car in the summer? any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks, tiburon

Z06vette.com is a great site!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
You HAVE made the right decision, I have had my car for 4 months, and have yet to take it into the shop. This is my 12th Corvette, and is by far the BEST VETTE YET! Enjoy the ride.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I second that

Never have taken back the car to the dealer....my car was built 9-9-01. Many things have been improved on for the 02. New rings etc. the car just goes ZOOOOOOOM thats what the Z in ZO6 stands for. All systems are go no problems. :) :) :) :cheers: :cheers: Well there is one you have to wave at other Corvettes when you see another one.:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Don't miss out on the chance to own a 2002! The oil issues seem to be confined to the 2001 models, and I have heard no major issues iwth the 2002's.

You will have a smile on your face every time you drive it, park it and walk away from it, walk towards it, yada, yada, yada...:yeadog:

I can't even put a good comparison to ANY other car on the market for the dollar/fun ratio.

GO FOR IT!!!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
631 Posts
The majority of people who buy Z06's do not have problems. I had an 01 and now have an 02. The car is

Magnificent

Terrific

Exciting

With Tons of Value

Buy One.

:guiness:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
tiburon,

I'm confused, do you live in San Francisco or Arizona:-?

You made the right decision. I've got a highly moded '01 and I've not had a single problem.

I can hear the bb's in a can sound if I try real hard like when I stick my head out of the window and back into my garage. But I didn't hear it for a long time. Not that it wasn't there, but because it's hardly noticable. It's a natural sound coming from the clutch, I think I read that!

Most guys and gals have not had a problem with oil consumption.
My Z uses a qt in 3,000 miles. It's a '01.....and I drive fast and hard most of the time.

The Z owner is very demanding, and they should be. Most of us are car guys and not easy to please. You pay $50,000 for a car and you want it to be damn near perfect. But, remember this car can hang with the best for a fraction of the cost. In Road & Track, it beat out a BMW Z8 ($130,000.00) and a Ferrari 550 Marenello($230,000.00) in their overall performance testing. And, it was right behind a Twin Turbo Porsche, which costs about $120,000. This was a '01 Z. In a recent Car & Driver test, the '02 Z beat the TT Porsche!!

A lot of guys race their Z's. Be it on the street, or auto x, or on the track, or the dragstrip.

I've seen 230 degrees on the digital readout of coolant temp. on a hot summer day with the a/c on in stop and go traffic. Like 105 degrees outside. Mr Goodwrench says unless it gets over 260 degrees, it's not a problem. Well, most of us know that at about 185 degrees is where you make Max power. So, those of us who want an edge, and want to perserve our engines life will drop in a 160, or 172 thermostat and bypass hot water to the throttle body. Also, you can get a manual override switch installed to turn on the fans earlier. Stock setting is about 215 degrees. I've gone one step further and use a 75/25 mix if water to collant. Also, I use Redline's Water Wetter and a special Corrision product called No Roison to further protect the radiator. I fully expect to be under 200 degrees this Summer in coditions stated above.

Bottom line is GM wants our engines to run HOT for emissions. You can do nothing and it will be just fine. Or, you can make some changes to improve your cooling system to protect your engine and give you a racer's edge. We've got guys driving in Arizona with no problems.

One of the Car magazines said the interior was cheap. A couple of others jumped on board because its hard to fault this car. Lately, I've read some Independant reviews which take exception with the original negative comment. One actually said the Interior was done very well thank you. I look at my Interior and I really can't fault it.....especially for $50,000.00. Maybe I don't have taste, but I love my Interior design and craftsmanship.

The stock shifter is barely acceptable. Most guys who like to drive put in an after market short shifter. You get faster, shorter and more positive shifts. And, it's more difficult to miss a shift. The car rags picked up on this little problem. But, who knows, maybe you'll like it, and not think it's a big deal.

I put in 7 quarts of oil. I change oil at 3,000 miles and use the best synthetic oil filter made by GM. You'll want to check the dipstick first thing in the morning. Just pull it out and read it. Don't wipe it off and then reinsert it and pull it out again. If you do this, it shows oil all over the place and it's very hard to get an accurate reading. If the oil gets low, a warning light comes on!

I can recall only one guy claiming his car was a lemon. That's not bad, and all Car Mfgs. will have lemons from time to time....even Mercedes! I had a friend who's Mercedes......I won't bore you with the details, but it can happen with any Car.

The Z has an excellant ride, very smooth considering its capabilities in the Handling Dept. It is noisy, but most guys could care less. There are some things you can do to mute the noise if you consider this a problem. Noise is from exhaust and rear tires.

Here's something you should know: Chevrolet tied Mercedes Benz and shared The Engineering Excellance Award given out by The Society of Automotive Engineers for the 2001 Corvette and the Mercedes S Class!!

JD Powers said the Chevrolet Corvette won the "BEST PREMIUM SPORTS CAR IN INITIAL QUALITY" Award, just a few months ago!!

I hope this helps you feel more confident in your decision to purchase the best Damn Sports Car on the Road today.

Barrie

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
And lets not forget....
How many world class sports cars have a cubby hole in the trunk for chinese food and a six pack?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :cool:

I have had VERY little problems with my Z's. As far as oil consumption, it decreased greatly after 5000 miles. I use a quart approximately every 1500 miles on both cars. I can live with that. You shouldn't have an oil problem with the 2002.

Both cars had a rear seal replaced in the differential and Sherylann's had the rocker arms replaced on hers. Other than that, trouble free. Both Z's were built in July 2000 during the first allocation.

You'll love the car!! :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
tiburon,

Welcome to the Forum! I have had both an 01 & 02 Z and never had any problems with either car. You will be very happy with the quality (JD Powers - "Best in Initail Quality").

I have had no oil consumption problems with either car and considering the way we drive these cars, a little conssumption is normal.

Good luck, you will love it.

Mark

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
tiburon,
You have made the right decision, by ordering a Z06 Corvette. No car for the money, can do what the Z06 does! I have an '02 and I love it! You will too!:D
BTW Welcome to the Forum........Another right decision!!!:)

carzzy

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
What you're feeling is pretty common while you're waiting for your car. I, and others, have had the same kinds of concerns.. these occur between committing $50k and actually receiving the car.

Mine has not had any problems in 3500 miles. Don't forget that there are lots of owners, and people don't post about problems they didn't have .. they post about problems they DID have. I mean, I'm not gonna create a thread about another day when my car DIDN'T break, but if I have a problem, chances are that I'll ask for advice about it ... so postings tend to be biased toward problems.

Your worrying will end when you get your car.

·
Registered
736 Posts
02 and not a problem (knock on wood). You will not regret it. The funnest car I have ever driven. The only problem I have is keeping my foot out of it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Welcome aboard;

Do not second guess your decision, it is the right one, if you spend time enough you will find problems with all vehicles. For a high performance car you will see more problems than others , however you have purchased a premium top class, top performance well made very fast :eek: race car.

I am not sure if you have driven one yet, you mentioned you sat in one at the car show, so let me set your mind at peace, once you get your Z06 and drive it for the 1st time, all your concerns will fly out the window :cheers:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Awesome car, your decision is well made.

Best decision I have made was to get this car and I do have some oil consumption. But I drive her hard, and fast :D

You will enjoy your 02 as they fixed all the major bugs found in the 01.

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
carzzy said:
tiburon,
You have made the right decision, by ordering a Z06 Corvette. No car for the money, can do what the Z06 does! I have an '02 and I love it! You will too!:D
BTW Welcome to the Forum........Another right decision!!!:)

carzzy
Carzzy says it well! Ditto for me.......... Welcome to the forum. This is THE place! :cool: :D

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
You will enjoy it so much, you won't want to get out of it! :D :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the support and encouragement. i currently work in sf but will be relocating to AZ soon....as soon as my Z06 arrives.
01ZEE06 said:
tiburon,

I'm confused, do you live in San Francisco or Arizona:-?

You made the right decision. I've got a highly moded '01 and I've not had a single problem.

I can hear the bb's in a can sound if I try real hard like when I stick my head out of the window and back into my garage. But I didn't hear it for a long time. Not that it wasn't there, but because it's hardly noticable. It's a natural sound coming from the clutch, I think I read that!

Most guys and gals have not had a problem with oil consumption.
My Z uses a qt in 3,000 miles. It's a '01.....and I drive fast and hard most of the time.

The Z owner is very demanding, and they should be. Most of us are car guys and not easy to please. You pay $50,000 for a car and you want it to be damn near perfect. But, remember this car can hang with the best for a fraction of the cost. In Road & Track, it beat out a BMW Z8 ($130,000.00) and a Ferrari 550 Marenello($230,000.00) in their overall performance testing. And, it was right behind a Twin Turbo Porsche, which costs about $120,000. This was a '01 Z. In a recent Car & Driver test, the '02 Z beat the TT Porsche!!

A lot of guys race their Z's. Be it on the street, or auto x, or on the track, or the dragstrip.

I've seen 230 degrees on the digital readout of coolant temp. on a hot summer day with the a/c on in stop and go traffic. Like 105 degrees outside. Mr Goodwrench says unless it gets over 260 degrees, it's not a problem. Well, most of us know that at about 185 degrees is where you make Max power. So, those of us who want an edge, and want to perserve our engines life will drop in a 160, or 172 thermostat and bypass hot water to the throttle body. Also, you can get a manual override switch installed to turn on the fans earlier. Stock setting is about 215 degrees. I've gone one step further and use a 75/25 mix if water to collant. Also, I use Redline's Water Wetter and a special Corrision product called No Roison to further protect the radiator. I fully expect to be under 200 degrees this Summer in coditions stated above.

Bottom line is GM wants our engines to run HOT for emissions. You can do nothing and it will be just fine. Or, you can make some changes to improve your cooling system to protect your engine and give you a racer's edge. We've got guys driving in Arizona with no problems.

One of the Car magazines said the interior was cheap. A couple of others jumped on board because its hard to fault this car. Lately, I've read some Independant reviews which take exception with the original negative comment. One actually said the Interior was done very well thank you. I look at my Interior and I really can't fault it.....especially for $50,000.00. Maybe I don't have taste, but I love my Interior design and craftsmanship.

The stock shifter is barely acceptable. Most guys who like to drive put in an after market short shifter. You get faster, shorter and more positive shifts. And, it's more difficult to miss a shift. The car rags picked up on this little problem. But, who knows, maybe you'll like it, and not think it's a big deal.

I put in 7 quarts of oil. I change oil at 3,000 miles and use the best synthetic oil filter made by GM. You'll want to check the dipstick first thing in the morning. Just pull it out and read it. Don't wipe it off and then reinsert it and pull it out again. If you do this, it shows oil all over the place and it's very hard to get an accurate reading. If the oil gets low, a warning light comes on!

I can recall only one guy claiming his car was a lemon. That's not bad, and all Car Mfgs. will have lemons from time to time....even Mercedes! I had a friend who's Mercedes......I won't bore you with the details, but it can happen with any Car.

The Z has an excellant ride, very smooth considering its capabilities in the Handling Dept. It is noisy, but most guys could care less. There are some things you can do to mute the noise if you consider this a problem. Noise is from exhaust and rear tires.

Here's something you should know: Chevrolet tied Mercedes Benz and shared The Engineering Excellance Award given out by The Society of Automotive Engineers for the 2001 Corvette and the Mercedes S Class!!

JD Powers said the Chevrolet Corvette won the "BEST PREMIUM SPORTS CAR IN INITIAL QUALITY" Award, just a few months ago!!

I hope this helps you feel more confident in your decision to purchase the best Damn Sports Car on the Road today.

Barrie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts