Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put in the Ripper today and it was a complete breeze. Start to finish including test drive only took 1.5 hrs. Directions were thorough but found some interesting things, some in complete contrast to some of the posts I've read:

1. The stock rubber shift boot (its under the leather one) was only finger tight when I uncovered it. The torque listed to re-install it was 15 lb/ft......way too tight in my opinion

2. The stock shifter is a complete piece of crap.....cheesy at best.

3. The Ripper is not stiff and notchy like everyone claims....in fact, it's the transmission that is stiff and notchy. The Ripper is smooth as silk when not bolted to the car. It just allows you feel the tranny more.

4. There are no adjustments to a C5 shifter, or a Ripper, and I seriously doubt on the Hurst either.

5. There is only 1 moving part, and that's the shift rod itself. No springs, cranks, pullys, screws, rods, etc. This thing is just a simple lever.

6. The noise everyone hears is the mechanism that the shifter plugs into. This "thingy" for lack of the proper nomenclature, connects the shifter rod back through the tunnel to the tranny and transmits transmission and possibly tunnel-shaft noise up through the shifter. The choice of shift knob makes a big difference. I used a Momo carbon fiber phantom and noise is minimal and acceptable.

7. The POS stock shifter and knob was an effective "band-aid" to dampen this vibration. Unfortunately, it had to be made out the finest quality drop-forged animal droppings to accomplish this.

8. The Ripper is "Aircraft" quality and I'm downright anal about quality. I fail to see how Hurst can improve on this.

I'll probably add more to this as things come to mind.

Oh yea......
Wow this thing shifts great, or more accurately, the Ripper allows you to feel and experience how awesome the M12 tranny reallly is. If you're waiting on the Hurst.....you're just waiting on a name. I'm sure the Hurst will be a quality piece, but I think they'd have to gold plate it to make it any better than the Ripper. The only thing they can even remotely change is maybe the point at which the shaft pivots in the housing (this affects throw length and feel)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice post. Almost got me fired up enough to go out in the garage and install the Ripper I've had since Christmas! :lol:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good post, but I'll wait for my Hurst. There are way too many complaints about the ripper. That many people can't be B.S.ing. One thing we all agree on is the factory one is a POS!:cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good evaluation! Just two comments:

In looking at a picture showing the Hurst and the Ripper, the Hurst's fulcrum point is lower. This translates into less shift effort (assuming an identical shaft length) and a longer throw. The Ripper differs from stock by having both a shorter lever (higher shift effort) and a higher fulcrum point (higher shift effort).

The Ripper does have springs. There is a small coil spring on each side of the shifter; remove the anodized top plate to see them. They set the effort of centering the stick, but do not effect shifting effort. You are right, the actual shift effort and notchiness seems to be related to the MN12.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2002blackZ06 said:
There are way too many complaints about the ripper. That many people can't be B.S.ing.
You're right, but they're complaining about the wrong thing. Whats noisy, and notchy, and stiff, is the linkage and tranny, not the Ripper. With the Ripper sitting on the work bench, you could litterally move the shifter around with your tongue. (No, I didn't try this .:lol: :lol: :lol: My administration has strict policies against such things):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Ripper is so well built it lets you feel everything. I'm familiar with Hurst shifters and they're quality ranks right up there with B&M, thats why I don't think theirs is going to be any different. If they build a unit as good as the Ripper.....it's going to transmit the noises up to the knob also

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bibsuit said:
Nice post. Almost got me fired up enough to go out in the garage and install the Ripper I've had since Christmas! :lol:
Since Christmas, what, are we still a bit hung over from New Years?:eek: :eek: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ripper, I'm just waiting for the mood to strike me. :)

I figure the driving experience with the Ripper is going to be one more thing to look forward to! No rush. That is unless GM announces 425HP for the 03. It that case it will have to wait untill about July or August. :lol:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Is the Hurst shifter a phantom shifter? Will there ever be a Hurst shifter, is it a pipe dream. I am tuned, cash in hand and ready to purchase if it materializes. :D

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
C5yellowZ06 said:
Ripper is an outstanding mod
Ditto here! I have had mine installed for 4 months. :yeadog: :yeadog:

Blows away the P.O.S. stock shifter. :bs:

Has anyone here installed a Hurst, or is it still Vapor-ware? I'd love to hear some dialog on this product, INSTALLED.
:-?

VettetheRipper: Great write-up. :cheers: Made me smile!!! Thanks :D :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
V.T.R.
U-da-man, so I take it you did no mods to reduce the noise.
Great post thanx.
mine will be in today
thanx again for the post..
Troy
z-u-laterstandard

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update..........
Had a slight bit of noise initially but completely eliminated it today by putting elec tape around threads of shaft and reinstalling knob, then using teflon tape around threads of knob where the sleeve screws.....whisper quiet now

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well the mood struck me minutes ago but when I went out to crank Yellow Boy the battery was dead. I guess these little batteries don't hold a charge for very long. I've got the charger on it so one way or another the shifter goes in this afternoon. :roll:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I WILL have my Hurst tomorrow(Friday) and will install it on Saturday and will give my impressions.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GaryZ06 said:
I WILL have my Hurst tomorrow(Friday) and will install it on Saturday and will give my impressions.
That's great, it would be interesting to finally find out how these things will perform. The pictures of the hurst look like a carbon copy of the Ripper except for the color and slightly different placement of the pivot. As someone pointed out earlier it will probably sacrifice some "throw" for slightly more leverage than the B&M. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
GaryZ06 said:
Gary,

Pls, Pls if you can have someone do Pic's and writeup..............

Thx................

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I have had a ripper with momo "combat" knob installed since the first week, almost 4 months now. Have never had any noise at all, very quiet. Its great to shift. You can pretty much just snap your wrist & go into the next gear. Also don't understand the complaint about to much effort. Seems very well balanced to me. I can't imagine the Hurst could improve on it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts